• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire/AR-10 dilema

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
I currently have a 18" GAP-10 with the Surefire MB762SSAL/RE brake that adapts to the 762SS model suppressor (the one that overlaps). I have a Larue 14.5" PredatOBR on order. My intent was to have the same brake installed so the same suppressor would work on both. But the 14.5" barrel is to short to accept the longer SSAL/RE and my only Surefire option is the MB762-211C adapter that only accepts the 762K model suppressor (the one that doesn't overlap). So I gotta decide to either lengthen the Larue barrel (it's not in production yet) so I can put the same brake on as on the GAP, or swap the brake on the GAP for the one that accepts the K model suppressor.

I have not ordered the suppressor yet. I have very little experience with suppressors and wanted to get opinions about the K and SS model Surefire suppressors and which may be best suited for both these semi-auto rifles. Of course, option C would be to go with another suppressor and brake altogether, but I'm a big fan so far of the Surefire product based on what is mounted on the end of my GAP. Thanks!

Re: Surefire/AR-10 dilema

The SS model overlaps the barrel by over 2 inches I believe. The SS is 9.8" so on a 16" you'd be looking at an overall of roughly 23.8". The K is 8.4" but doesn't recant, so on a 14.5" your roughly looking at 22.9". LaRue could probably compromise and do 15.5 without it interfering with the gas block and then you'd be within a 1/2" but then the can would work on both and you wouldn't have the expense of cutting down the barrel on your GAP-10 or having exposed lapping.

I pm'd Kudu22 who's one of the SF reps here and he might be able to help and shed some light. Plus I'm far from an expert so maybe he'll have more realistic numbers lol...

I would just make this easy and pull the brake off the GAP throw the K model brake on it and run a 762K on both guns. If you are going to be using it on gas guns the K is usually a lot easier to deal with because you will have a lot more flexibility with gas block and rail options because it doesn't have to reflex over.

Chuck

If the Larue isn't in production yet why not ask them to go a bit longer on the barrel or switch to shorter rail/gas system setup to allow the use of the 762SS? If the GAP10 is already setup it doesn't make much sense to swap parts around to accommodate something you don't have yet.

You could go with the K setup on all of your firearms but you will be left with the contoured portion of your barrel exposed on the GAP10 if you go with the K mount. IF they did turn the barrel down to allow it to slide over your GAP10 barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the Larue isn't in production yet why not ask them to go a bit longer on the barrel or switch to shorter rail/gas system setup to allow the use of the 762SS? If the GAP10 is already setup it doesn't make much sense to swap parts around to accommodate something you don't have yet.</div></div>

Good question, I may just do that. I wanted it as short and light as possible (legally). This may be the route I go.

Dammit Chuck... I thought you said the SS was better, lol...

FYI Captmo... Chuck works for SureFire.

So the advantage of the K over the SS on gas guns is that it doesn't overlap not impeding on rails and such. Any difference in performance or do they just run about the same?

The 762K and 762SS are almost the same except the mounting system. The SS goes back over the barrel 2 3/4 inches and the K just goes back over the brake. I prefer the 762SS because it seems like it might have less of a POI shift due to the weight being closer to the action but this is just my opinion. Both are great suppressors and both have large contracts. The 762SS is the current setup for the Marine Corps M40A5 and the 762K type design is the current type set up for the MK13 Mod 6. The K just works out easier for guys running gasser's because you don't have to worry about rails, gas blocks and so forth as much as you would with the 762SS and with heavier barrel's you don't have to get the profile turned down.