• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surefire brake switch questions.

trobertson5-0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
Floyd.Va.
I have a M40A5 clone with a surefire 7.62 brake. I recently purchased a custom .338 Lapua with a surefire .338 brake. I want to use my surefire .338 can on both rifles. Is it as simple as switching the brake on the 7.62 to a .338,or is there machining involved? The part numbers on the brakes are MB338SS02 and MB762SSAL/RE if that helps. Thanks in advance. TJR

Re: Surefire brake switch questions.

I am fairly sure you can get a 338 brake threaded in 5/8x24 and just switch the one out on your 308. They should interchange as long as the threads are the same under your current brake.

SurefireMB-1.jpg

It depends on which 7.62 and .338 SureFire brakes you have. I think they make a 5/8-24 7.62 brake, but they dont make that thread pattern for .338 brakes.
To use your .338 brake on your M40, you will have to have the barrel set back and re-profiled for one of the few factory rifle profiles they have listed here - http://www.surefire.com/muzzlebrakeadapter or refer to the matrix above.

7.62 brake - 5/8-24 Threads
.338 brake - 3/4-24 Threads

The way I read this post is, you have a Surefire brake on each of your rifles and a can for the 338. If that is correct, I would compare the dimensions on each brake. I would think that if the dimension are the same except the threads, I wouldn't think switching of the brakes is needed. But that's me. If in doubt, call Surefire.

The dimensions on the .338 brake are much larger,so much you don't need to measure it,just look at it. It's the internal dimensions I was wondering about. The above diagram answered that for me! Off to the gunsmith the .308 goes I suppose. So,should I expect to lose some barrel over this.......? Kinda want a 18" rifle anyway.