• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire FA68AR and SpecWar 762 comparison this afternoon

DarinR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2007
Haysville, Kansas
OK, it is not apples and oranges. The guns were NOT identical by barrel length, barrel manufacturer or buffer weight. (Didn't even check buffers). Only cared about how the sound signature of these two setups compared.

Only the ammo was the same, SSA 110 grain Accu-Bond

Compared the two guns this afternoon to see which sounded the quietest to everyone.

Gun #1 - Noveske 12.5" 6.8 SPC SBR w/switchblock and Surefire FA68AR suppressor.

Gun #2 - SBR w/ 11.3" Wilson Combat Noveske 6.8 SPC barrel and Specwar 762 suppressor.

Expected the 11.3" gun with the Specwar to be the quietest. Even though the barrel is slightly shorter, I expected a baffle stack of maybe 7" in front of the adapter to suppress more than the reflex style Surefire suppressor that has maybe 4" of baffles.

Everyone present agreed that the Specwar was quieter. No surprise. Everyone shooting agreed that the Surefire did very well and was not excessly loud. Listening to both from 25-30 yards behind the guns, they both sounded stupid quiet with the main noise being bounce back from tree lines of the super sonic bullet flight. No time for accuracy testing, etc.

If I had to carry the gun a distance for hunting pigs along the river, etc, I would pic the Surefire for shorter added length and 7 ounces less weight - 17 oz vs 24 oz. It was slightly louder but still sounded pleasant and with a nice tone. I will try to do accuracy testing on both of these but I expect it to match all other accuracy testing I have done on Specwar 762's and SF cans in general. They will both be good with the edge going to the SF for lighter weight.

I would like to try a SF Socom 6.8 can on the Wilson barreled gun in the future. I would expect it to be noticeably quieter than the FA68AR. Has anyone compared these two cans?

Darin