• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire G2 is always dead

4Rail_Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2006
Stephenville, Texas
Maybe its me leaving it on or in a pack where the button can get smashed.
But everytime I pick up my G2 to use it the batteries are dead.
This last time I used it to look at something on my Dillon and left it laying on the table off and on its side. It was a week to 10 days ago. Picked it up last night and it was dead.
Anyone have trouble with their lights having a slow draw and killing the batteries?

Re: Surefire G2 is always dead

Never had an issue.

I have a G2 on my patrol rifle and a G2Z on my duty belt. They both see intermittent use and I get at least a month out of the batteries in the G2Z and several months from the G2 on the patrol rifle.

I would suggest you call Surefire.

it could be the switch is making just enough contact to run down the batts without lighting the bulb, especially if its an older G2 without the LOTC, try taking the switch off and letting it sit for a while. Also what brand are the batteries?

I have my G2 in a mag pouch on my IOTV and for a while it kept dying on me. I had to make sure that I unscrewed the cap all the way and push on the tail cap and the rubber button. If the light went on all I did was unscrew it a little further.
As far as laying it on the table I don't know what to tell you. Next time you put it in your pack try pushing on both activation button and tailcap, if it goes on unscrew it a little more.

G2z on my belt as well. I try to make sure I have a complete rotation on the end cap. If I don't, every now and then after use I'll bump it to constant on.

The best thing I did was to upgrade to an LED head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G2z on my belt as well. I try to make sure I have a complete rotation on the end cap. If I don't, every now and then after use I'll bump it to constant on.

The best thing I did was to upgrade to an LED head. </div></div>

A big +1 for the LED head. I've got one on my G2 and I'll never go back to an incandescent.

As for the batteries dying, give SF a call. I'm sure they will get you squared away! Let us know what you find out.

Good advice so far.

Quick question tho, what brand of batteries are you using?

Some of the off brands are pretty useless.

I use a G2 every day for work and my batteries last for months even with an incandesent bulb.

The only problem I have had with a G-2 and we own about two or three is when my dog chewed the ring that holds the glass in .....And it still works just fine.. If I am going to leave the light without using it, I always make it a rule of thumb to twist it into lockout mode to make sure it doesn't get accidentally get depressed (Lonely...hahaha). If you run good batteries like Surefire,Duracell,Energizer,Sanyo you should be good in the battery department as long as they are up to date lithiums.. I prefer Surefire and I have actually found them to be way cheaper $$$ by buying in bulk from a licensed Surefire dealer. You will get raped if you buy a duracell or Energizer 3 volt lithium at walmart or a camera store....Don't ever go that route if you can avoid it... Let me know if you need help getting Surefire batteries from a Surefire dealer... Try the lockout for a while, if it's still killing batteries call surefire.... I would guess its the rear switch but I am just guessing......Good luck......SmokeRolls

If you can get the led head for the G-2, it will greatly lengthen the battery life but weigh your options... Sometimes you can just get another complete LED surefire light for a good price as well. Surefire is making just about all of their lights with the LED option. Me personally I wouldn't spend the money on the LED add on unless you can get a great deal shipped to you... Check your options.......SmokeRolls

I try to remember to back it up all the way when I put it in my pack.
I'm using surefire batteries. I'll give surefire a shout and see what they say.

You don't have to back it all the way out. Just turn it counterclockwise untill your pressure switch stiffens up and you will not be able to push it in nor turn it on without advancing it clockwise again..........SmokeRolls.

I can pretty much tell you that if that thing was turning on in your pack and running till the batteries burn out you would know it. They get hot.

I stuck a rifle with similar light mounted in a closet under some clothes for awhile and it accidentally turned when I buried it. It got so hot that the batteries burned up and left black soot inside the tube.

I recently instructed a rifle class and some reps from surefire were there. They advised me that every product they put out has a lifetime warranty (sorry, no bulbs)and if your having issues and none of the above helps, send it to them and they will fix or repair/replace for free.

Shoot me a PM with your problem and we will get this taken care of.

Chuck

I've got one I bought from a fellow hide member last year, turned it on last night for the first time in a few months - bright as ever.

Sounds like a specific incident - Surefire has awesome support!!!

Also note guys- I sent one to Michael Yon a couple years ago, and Surefire gave me a great discount as he was in a combat zone - these guys rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MudBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can pretty much tell you that if that thing was turning on in your pack and running till the batteries burn out you would know it. They get hot.

I stuck a rifle with similar light mounted in a closet under some clothes for awhile and it accidentally turned when I buried it. It got so hot that the batteries burned up and left black soot inside the tube. </div></div>

I have the 6P carried on my belt every day, one day I got a burning sensation on my hip, could not figure out what it was, after a few minutes the sensation turned to a hot burning and had a smell, melted my kydex holster for it and left a burnt mark on my skin. They do get hot! So, if it came on inside a pack long enough to run the batteries down you would know it.

Had another brand, or many of them trying to save money that always had issues with bulbs, switches, etc. Its been 7 years on my 6P and Surefire even replaced the lens kit with bulbs when I asked how long bulbs last because mine burnt out one day during a test burn of the bulb and in fact they sent me a new one with a "spare", save money, surefire did buying right, Surefire only torch for me.

good luck getting surefire to hold true to their warranty.

i emailed them in NOVEMBER and am still waiting for resolution on a 6P that doesn't work anymore.

I've had the opposite experiences. I had a tailcap get iffy on me and I got a replacement without asking any questions. I also called about getting a replacement O-ring once and they sent me a new head.

your email probably got sent to the spam or trash list. Mine did. I figured they didn't reply, but in fact they did. I called anyway and have always gotten everything taken care of. Compared to surefire, everything else is just a toy. They will take care of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot me a PM with your problem and we will get this taken care of.Chuck Vlasek
SureFire Military Sales
[email protected]

Chuck</div></div>
Armed Ferret: You might want to talk to this guy... I would venture to say that he could help....SmokeRolls

Just checked mine as it has been in the safe for over a year. It still works.
smile.gif

we get issued these G2® Nitrolon® Single-Output Incandescent
and its almost a weekly change out of batteries. We are always going to our supply guys for new batteries...doesn't help us on our traffic stops or other issues.

I'm going to get something in LED...I'm tired of never having any light when I need it.

--KJ

my experience with surefire lights is extremely short battery life. I thought they were great products....but just require too much in the way of batteries. I guess if you need ultra-bright flashlights, they have their place. For most uses, I think led is a much lower-maintenance choice.

1. Call Surefire
2. To ensure your lights do not activate without you wanting, turn the tail cap until the two notches (one on cap one on body) are aligned. When in a holster or pouch it will not turn on, but you can still use it just as you normally would.

-Z

Have same problem w/ mine,not used in a tactical way so I just reverse battery after use. Yes it's a small hassel but not that big of a deal for how often I need a light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KJDrake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we get issued these G2® Nitrolon® Single-Output Incandescent
and its almost a weekly change out of batteries. We are always going to our supply guys for new batteries...doesn't help us on our traffic stops or other issues.
I'm going to get something in LED...I'm tired of never having any light when I need it.
--KJ</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my experience with surefire lights is extremely short battery life. I thought they were great products....but just require too much in the way of batteries. I guess if you need ultra-bright flashlights, they have their place. For most uses, I think led is a much lower-maintenance choice.</div></div>
The G-2's are hard on batteries but now Surefire has come out with LED versions of the G-2 as well as a plethora of new carry lights.. Check out their website @ http://www.surefire.com/ I use the 6P-LED as a carry on the sheriffs dept and for general use...It's an awesome light with awesome battery life and very powerful and at a great distance. It's great for night duty. It has all alluminum housing and is tough as hell. I wouldn't buy any other..SmokeRolls