• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire M85 Rail Issue

mateofeo85

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
New Mexico
A few months ago I built a RRA LAR-15 midlength. I ordered it with a Surefire M85 2-piece rail system and front and rear rail mounted buis. RRA called me during the test fire process saying it was shooting high, even with elev maxxed out. They ended up putting a standard A2 sight on it and it shot fine.

A few days later the gun came in; low and behold, the Surefire rail is a shorter rail height than the upper reciever rail height, hence the gun shooting all fubar during testing, suprised RRA didn't notice this. So i kept the gun for about three weeks, and after three trips to the range and about 150 rds, the Surefire rail was twisted off the barrel nut by about 10*. WTF?! I was shooting off a rail mounted bipod, which apparently was too much for this poor little booger. I pulled it off and the rail keys that hold the Surefire to the barrel nut was pretty much shaved off.

I sent it back to RRA and did what i should've done from the beginning, swapped for the DD M4 rail (badass, btw). Thanks to RRA for the speedy fix on the issue.

So what i'm getting at, has anyone ever had this issue with the Surefire rails before? I figured their lights, cans, and comps seem pretty legit, why such a poor quality rail system?