• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire or Ops Inc?

Anchor Zero Six

Problem Solver
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
Corona Komifornia
Searched the hide and cant find anything good bad or otherwise about SF cans aside for a thread regarding a lawsuit.

Are these decent supressors? Just about every dealer in my area has them in stock so for sake of convenience that was the one I was going to get but I have never owned one so I dont know.

What about Ops Inc? Are these available anywhere? See them out of stock all over but none instock anywhere.

Any other options that mount to a compensator that I left out?

I want to get the process rolling soon so I need to figure out which one soon.

Re: Surefire or Ops Inc?

AAC, YHM...

my Class III guy in Oklahoma carries most brands, but recommends AAC, he has 6 AAC 7.62SDs in stock as of a few days ago

Forgot to mention its for a 5.56. For the 7.62 I want to give one of Zak's cans a try.

OK so why AAC over the others? Just looking for reasons/comparisons. In my AO the dealers have AAC, SF and Gem Tech. Just in regards to handling them and the mounting systems the SF look to be a bit better built. This is purly subjective based on the fit and finish. With cans I suppose its whats inside that counts and this is where I'm stumped.

From the tests I have seen AAC is the best of all mentioned based on sound performance, durability, POI shift, and mounting options. Silencerresearch tested it and Zak's can, but not Surefire or Ops. I work for AAC but at the same time, just know it is the current state of things. There is a muzzle brake mount and the BLACKOUT flash suppressor mount has extraordinary performance even on 10 inch barrels. The Surefire is a good product. I feel it would be worth getting if it were about 20% less expensive than the AAC but not more. AAC uses a higher grade of Inconel (heat-treated 718). Surefire use 600 series. Also look at KAC as it is very durable.

rsilvers thanks for the info. I actualy searched on silencertalks before posting this here and didnt see a forum for SF which is why I brought it here.

AAC's site dosnt have the section with muzzle attachments up yet, happen to know where I could take a look at the brake you guys make?

Didnt follow what you were saying about Thunderbeast (Zak's) can GTG or no? I was looking at the cost and weight seems like a good value for a Ti supressor.

KAC would be great...where can I get one LOL. Took me two years to find an IWS suspect that getting a KAC can wouldnt be any easier. If you could point in a direction I would like to check it out.

Thanks again, I consider myself fairly knowledgable about firearms but this is something I know nothing about.

Surefire is as good as it gets! Ops Inc is up there too! One downside to the SF's is $$. There goes AAC badmouthing on a thread again! If you are gonna do that at least post what advantage the 700 series has over the 600? And does it make a diff for it's intented purpose?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rsilvers thanks for the info. I actualy searched on silencertalks before posting this here and didnt see a forum for SF which is why I brought it here.

AAC's site dosnt have the section with muzzle attachments up yet, happen to know where I could take a look at the brake you guys make?
</div></div>

Heres some pics of the brakes. AAC Brake Pics Look about halfway down in the thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt follow what you were saying about Thunderbeast (Zak's) can GTG or no? I was looking at the cost and weight seems like a good value for a Ti supressor.

KAC would be great...where can I get one LOL. Took me two years to find an IWS suspect that getting a KAC can wouldnt be any easier. If you could point in a direction I would like to check it out.

Thanks again, I consider myself fairly knowledgable about firearms but this is something I know nothing about. </div></div>

The Major has the KAC NT4 in stock at the moment and several of the AAC offerings. You can see his inventory here.

Thanks!

I guess the next question is directed to Mr Silvers; Will a brake mount be available for the SPR/M4 model?

SPR/M4 Brakes should be ready in about 6 weeks per Mike Mers of AAC. I am sure Mike will be here soon to confirm that.

_mg_6307-copy.jpg

_mg_6306-copy-600x409.jpg

_mg_6304-copy-600x400.jpg

Knights makes a good 5.56 can as well, I have a AAC SPR/M4, Surefire cans are OK, you are paying about double what they are worth IMO for the name... they are pritty though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nl12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Knights makes a good 5.56 can as well...</div></div>
Yikes...I hate the KAC NT4, makes a fantastic paperweight!

I have an AAC M4-1000 and an Ops Inc 12th MBS...they are both excellent cans.

The 12th MBS is a no frills very good quiet can that I would recommend for SPRs

The AAC is an excellent can for M4s IMO and it's got a nice mounting lockup (both the 18/51 tooth mounts)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SPR/M4 Brakes should be ready in about 6 weeks per Mike Mers of AAC. I am sure Mike will be here soon to confirm that.</div></div>

Wow, if "two-week Mike" is saying it'll be six weeks, I'd expect it some time in 2017. Start the timer...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SPR/M4 Brakes should be ready in about 6 weeks per Mike Mers of AAC. I am sure Mike will be here soon to confirm that.</div></div>

Wow, if "two-week Mike" is saying it'll be six weeks, I'd expect it some time in 2017. Start the timer...</div></div>

O.K. sounds fair... start the timer now. I will post picks of the SPR-M4 brake in this thread ASAP.

Curios to know how I got the "two week Mike" nickname? Care to elaborate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Searched the hide and cant find anything good bad or otherwise about SF cans aside for a thread regarding a lawsuit.

Are these decent supressors? Just about every dealer in my area has them in stock so for sake of convenience that was the one I was going to get but I have never owned one so I dont know.

What about Ops Inc? Are these available anywhere? See them out of stock all over but none instock anywhere.

Any other options that mount to a compensator that I left out?

I want to get the process rolling soon so I need to figure out which one soon.

</div></div>

Surefire and OPS INC silencers are good silencers. I like AAC's silencers better (of course) but OPS INC and Surefire are GTG.

OPS INC silencers are available. Try PSI or Steve at ADCO

As a matter of fact the Surefire and OPS INC silencer baffles are made very similarly... the mounting system is what makes them very different. The OPS mount is a (very solid) two piece mount that you may need to have your barrel profiled to accommodate.. not a big deal if your buying a new barrel... kinda a PITA if you want to run it on your gun as is.

For me it comes back to buying the best. The M4-2000 is the quietest, lightest, and most durably (check the independent test) of the silencers listed here. If your going to get a silencer pay the $200 and have it registered to you for life why not buy the best?

Not to mention we are less money then the Surefire silencer.

OP, what gun do you want to run this silencer on? Barrel length? Full auto?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Curios to know how I got the "two week Mike" nickname? Care to elaborate?</div></div>

There was a guy named Mike who always had to "ask someone", and would then reply "two weeks" every time my dealer would call to get the status of my orders, an Evolution-9 and an M4-2000 back in '07. He always made these calls from his speakerphone in my presence. That Mike was either a liar or an idiot, based on his track-record.

So, was that a different Mike?

Well, I started at AAC on the first of this year... so I guess so.

Sorry, about your bad experiences, we are working very hard to change that here at AAC. Call me if you ever need anything from us.

I would love to help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1_ar_newbie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, about your bad experiences, we are working very hard to change that here at AAC. Call me if you ever need anything from us.

I would love to help.
</div></div>

I'm very glad to hear that, Mike. And I certainly <span style="font-style: italic">will</span> call <span style="font-style: italic">you</span> for my next AAC order!

Mike,

I want it for a 16" Knights IWS. Show here with a SF brake but thats easy enough to change.
KACSPR015.jpg

Initialy I went with the end mount brake vice the one that overlaps the barrel because I wanted to run one can on two guns. I dont think I'm going to keep the other rifle so I'm not opposed to an Overlap design esp if it saves some length with the supressor attached.

Thanks for the help guys. Cant say I have figured out yet but at least I'm eliminating some from contention.

I'm a firm believer in buy the best you can afford so price isnt so much an issue if its paying for quality and not just a name.

This is all I am gonna say in this issue.

Barry Dueck use to work for OPS Inc. He tried to broker a deal for Surefire to buy the rights to OPS Inc. and if you know Phil, his answer was fuck no. This pissed off Dueck who then jumped ship with all the OPS Inc TDP's and took them to surefire. Which is why when you look at the surefire baffel design it is exactly like the OPS Inc with some minor mods. Truth is that OPS Inc cans outlast our guns. My MK12 has the original can and probably had 6 barrel changes. We have OPS cans on all our M4's, MK12's, MK11's, MK13's and MK18's(With and adaptor), some M249's and a few M240's. The reason why you do not see them available is that they primarily cater to SOF and they have been pretty busy there. It is not uncommon to have a can go 60K in round life. If I had to plunk down the cash I'd get an OPS

Thanks OSS.

I'll check the availability. I have no need to have one other than I want to get one while I still can. I think the current restictions are silly to begin with but I would rather pay for a 200.00 stamp now than possibly a 1K stamp later if at all.

I would like to get the best I can get my hands on but if they are going to the guys that really need tham I'm happy with getting the next runner up, like I said this is a want not a need. At the same time I dont want a complete peice of crap either LOL.

Oregon of course since as of now it’s illegal to use a suppressor in my state however you are allowed to own one.

My family has a ranch in Oregon where we go to shoot critters.

AAC SPR/M4 did very well on the Silencerresearch.com testing. OPS inc is a nice suppressor too. BTW Nice KAC rifle! I also like the LMT too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AAC SPR/M4 did very well on the Silencerresearch.com testing. OPS inc is a nice suppressor too. BTW Nice KAC rifle! I also like the LMT too. </div></div>
I couldn't find a single Surefire test on there.....hmmm?
confused.gif

Guess they didn't have anyone who owned one or was willing to participate with one in the testing they did.

I just ordered an Ops 12th two weeks ago. I looked at the AAC, and it is definitely nice, but since the can is going on my Mk12, I went with the authentic. There is always a hell of a lot of drama in the suppressor market. The one thing I've noticed is that whatever people purchase, they tend to be fairly happy with it.

Last week, both Adco Firearms, and Polite Society both had the 12th models in stock. Same price.

Either Surefire or Ops, you're probably looking at a LONG transfer time.
frown.gif

I have enjoyed teh Surefire brakes and cans.

Arch if you wanna come out you can come and play with mine if you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get an AAC logo tattoo...Get a free AAC Can. </div></div>
Is that true?

LOL thats some good stuff Props!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So they can refute SF's claims w/ out testing a single one! Very scientific!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I would be interested to read where they refuted SF's claim of db reduction, because John's site is pretty independent from what I have read and seen there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jr_V</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So they can refute SF's claims w/ out testing a single one! Very scientific!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I would be interested to read where they refuted SF's claim of db reduction, because John's site is pretty independent from what I have read and seen there. </div></div>
Untill they test SF's suppressors they have no business refuting anything; decibels or not!

Lets take a step back.....Can we start with the intel of the situation before you start flinging shit? I would like to be caught up to speed with ya instead of you ranting without any substance behind it. I understand your thoughts as they may be the same as mine when I read what happened, but I would like to hear it from the source rather from a third party.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZOMBIE101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just get an AAC logo tattoo...Get a free AAC Can. </div></div>
Is that true?</div></div>

O yea it is true!

The Ops 12th model is a great silencer.

But for me it comes back to buying the best. After all this thing is registered to you.

The Ops can is made of 304 stainless steel... the SPR-M4 has 718 Inconel baffles and end cap the rest is 17-4 stainless steel. Having Inconel baffles will increase the service life of the silencer (as much as 2x-3x) especially on a shorter barrel or a machine gun.

That and you don't have to contour your barrel for an M4-SPR(as long as it is smaller then .750 in OD)

So longer service life, fully welded core VS spot welded core, and less hassle to mount are just some of the reasons I like the SPR-M4 (or M4-2000) better than the OPS cans...

I have heard just about all the major suppressors on the market. While all the top manufacturers are very close in noise. The Ops Inc 12th is the quietest on the market. It might be a little heavier then some of the others on the market, cause it is probably one of the oldest designs on the market too and doesn't use all the latest and greatest materials. It just plain works. As for durability, I have never seen one worn out. Ops will also warranty their cans on barrels shorter then 10". I don't know of any other manufacturer that will do that.