• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire, OSS or KeyMo?

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
Finally pulled the budget together for the rest of my dream rifle build and am a bit torn on the muzzle device. This is going on a 556, but I do plan on getting 6MM ARC and 300BLK down the road including that I have a 22lr. Currently own 2 16" ARs. One that's a cheapo built and another ultralight.

Surefire RC2:
Pros: Flash suppression w/ and w/o the can, durability, trainers and blank firing adapter is a big plus, can use a 13.7 / 13.9" barrel
Cons: Blowback, weight (no TI option)

OSS:
Pros: Little to no blowback, weight (ti model), will work with non-ARs I get down the road (especially if I opt for the 762 ti can), less part wear due to little to no blowback
Cons: Would need to go with a 14.5" barrel, terrible flash from footage I've seen even with the flash hider models

KeyMo:
Pros: Can use a 13.7 / 13.9 barrel, widest options for suppressor and muzzle device choices
Cons: Weight (due to keymo adapter), blowback (depends on suppressor)

I like the surefire for the flash suppression, but would likely be a dedicated 556 can only for ARs, but the trainer and blank firing adapter are great for training. OSS is really appealing for the decent flash reduction, can use it on more than just an AR and low impact parts due to less blowback, I see myself getting the 762 ti can. KeyMo is extremely appealing because I wouldn't be married to one suppressor and have a lot more options for muzzle devices, IE I could get my favorite muzzle device and then decide which suppressor(s) I like the most.

Reactions: Shotgunner005
Out of those choices I’d go Surefire RC2 all the way. Others I would consider right now are the YHM T2 and Ottercreek Polonium (both have universal threads that would allow keymo)

I have a Surefire Socom SB and it’s been great. Any issues with the mount sticking is due to the warcomp. Stay with a flash hider or brake for muzzle devices for sure.

It does an incredible job with flash suppression. A friend of mine ended up ordering one after seeing how well it performed at night.

Out of those choices I’d go Surefire RC2 all the way. Others I would consider right now are the YHM T2 and Ottercreek Polonium (both have universal threads that would allow keymo)

I have a Surefire Socom SB and it’s been great. Any issues with the mount sticking is due to the warcomp. Stay with a flash hider or brake for muzzle devices for sure.

It does an incredible job with flash suppression. A friend of mine ended up ordering one after seeing how well it performed at night.
Have you by chance shot the SB side by side with an RC2? I’ve got both in jail right now. LGS had SB2 in stock a couple months ago so bought one and last week got some RC2’s in and snagged one of those too.

I’m running the surefire brakes on all my rifles.

If you buy the RC2 do not use a war comp. The RC2 mount will leak and it's performance suffers greatly.

And as far as a 1.375x24 muzzle device and mount system, Rearden gets my vote.

I'm a big fan of the OSS (Now HUXWRX). What they say about no weapons modifications needed is really true.

My AR-15s don't get any dirtier than they did without a can.

I don't know if HUXWRX still does it but they use give LEOs and Veterans a 30% discount. When it was OSS, I sent them my credentials, paid for the suppressor and they sent it to the dealer, who charged me $100 transfer fee.

So after you include the shipping, I saved about $150 on a thousand dollar suppressor.

The other thing that I like about the OSS suppressors is the left-handed threads. The muzzle brakes are right-handed to screw on the barrel but the threads for the can are left handed.

That way, you turn the suppressor to the right to remove it avoiding any carbon lock. The muzzle brake stays on the rifle instead of coming off with the suppressor.

Read the data at www.pewscience.com

It should inform you to a high degree and help you make an educational decision regarding the cans you’re looking at.

FWIW, I just bought an Otter Creek Polonium to replace the current OSS 762 QD I use for my 12.5” 556 AR.

Have you by chance shot the SB side by side with an RC2? I’ve got both in jail right now. LGS had SB2 in stock a couple months ago so bought one and last week got some RC2’s in and snagged one of those too.

I’m running the surefire brakes on all my rifles.

I haven’t had the chance to do that yet. My friend’s RC2 is still in jail. I got my SB years ago and it was what happened to be in stock. I don’t think it’s going to make much difference. It also makes me feel better since I use it 10.3” and 11.5” guns most of the time.

Reactions: Diesel79
some good choices, and great advice already. You can never go wrong with Surefire. The OSS is pretty solid, and new technology. The KeyMo is not a suppressor but an adapter. It ties you into the DA family of muzzle devices, or you can get the Nomad and use an adapter or direct thread. The Nomad is somewhat of a go-to if you cannot decide, and so is the RC2. The RC2 is going to be heavy and solid and only 5.56. The Nomad can adapt different caps for 556, 6.5 and 762, and is a good choice.

One you did not mention is the Surefire 762 Mini2. We sell Surefire and DeadAir, and some other really innovative brands. But Surefire and DeadAir are always in the top 5 of our selections. I won't diverge into other options and confuse you with more choices, although CGS is very intriguing. Back to Surefire. We have been selling a lot of 762 Mini2 lately. It has the same footprint as the 556 RC SOCOM, but will also accept 6.5 and 7.62 hosts. And, all your guns can have Surefire SOCOM muzzle devices. The Mini2 762 will accept both 556 and 762 muzzle devices as the external geometry is the same (but the 762 is longer, so not backwards compatible).

So, flip a coin.

Finally pulled the budget together for the rest of my dream rifle build and am a bit torn on the muzzle device. This is going on a 556, but I do plan on getting 6MM ARC and 300BLK down the road including that I have a 22lr. Currently own 2 16" ARs. One that's a cheapo built and another ultralight.

Surefire RC2:
Pros: Flash suppression w/ and w/o the can, durability, trainers and blank firing adapter is a big plus, can use a 13.7 / 13.9" barrel

OSS:
Pros: Little to no blowback, weight (ti model), will work with non-ARs I get down the road (especially if I opt for the 762 ti can), less part wear due to little to no blowback
Cons: Would need to go with a 14.5" barrel, terrible flash from footage I've seen even with the flash hider models

KeyMo:
Pros: Can use a 13.7 / 13.9 barrel, widest options for suppressor and muzzle device choices

I like the surefire for the flash suppression, but would likely be a dedicated 556 can only for ARs, but the trainer and blank firing adapter are great for training. OSS is really appealing for the decent flash reduction, can use it on more than just an AR and low impact parts due to less blowback, I see myself getting the 762 ti can. KeyMo is extremely appealing because I wouldn't be married to one suppressor and have a lot more options for muzzle devices, IE I could get my favorite muzzle device and then decide which suppressor(s) I like the most.
They are all good, it doesn't make any real world difference.

I use my OSS 762 Ti on three different gas guns in .308, 300 blackout and 5.56. Other than what's been mentioned above, the way the gas exits the suppressor keeps the can on. Screw on the can, finger tight, and you're good to go. Makes getting it off super easy and 99% of the time, without a tool. They do have a wrench available now which isn't included as far as I know.

Overall, the OSS Ti is relatively short and light (14.7 oz for the old non-flash hider version) and the new version has a flash suppressor. I don't think there's a barrel length restriction on the OSS though. I asked when I first purchased mine and I'm pretty sure they said no barrel length restrictions. It's not mentioned in any of the info on-site either. It's nice and tidy on the 300 blackout which has either an 8.5" or 10.5" barrel (currently the latter). I've toyed with doing a 12.5" upper on my .308 as that might be a fun package.

Super easy to clean as well. I soak it in M7 Pro for 24 hours, drain, then shoot out anything leftover. Works like a charm. I built a cleaning container out of PVC pipe with a removable lid on one end and capped/sealed on the other. It's also safe to drop in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Ultimately for me personally, I wanted no changes to the rifles can on or off and it tames all three calibers very well for my needs but others may feel differently. I do know, when shooting 5.56, bystanders are always surprised it's a 7.62 can. Can't compare to the other two options you mentioned though.

Seems like there are more and more flow through cans coming on the market as of late.

Surefire RC2:

OSS:

KeyMo:

All are decent options but of the 3 that you listed, the KeyMo is the most future proof. and cross platform compatible and at least two or three companies are making keymo mounts

Super easy to clean as well. I soak it in M7 Pro for 24 hours, drain, then shoot out anything leftover. Works like a charm. I built a cleaning container out of PVC pipe with a removable lid on one end and capped/sealed on the other. It's also safe to drop in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Here is an older OSS suppressor that I've preserved for posterity. As far as ultrasonic cleaners with OSS cans, you might want to re-think that; at least with the older suppressors.

Here's the response that I got from OSS on a question regarding ultrasonic cleaning for their older model.

"The cap and sleeve are aluminum. You could take off the sleeve and but [sic] the entire housing in the ultrasonic cleaner and you could suspend the core so the cap is out of the solution but the majority of the metal is in the solution."

As you can tell that procedure can be a real PITA. It might be best to ask about ultrasonic cleaning with the newer suppressors. However, I've had great results with soaking in the cleaning solution as you've described.

Normal Silencer Speciman.jpg

Surefire impressed me with the FA762SS... It's Ti --don't they make one like you're looking at in Ti? Pretty sure they did.

Not on your list but I think KAC QDC may be what you're looking for --it's one of the best all around cans that checks a lot of boxes.

Elite Iron doesn't get mentioned nearly enough but Dale's work is amazing and his wife on the customer service end literally cannot be beat. He won't blow smoke up your ass if you call with questions either. Not afraid to recommend the competition if it'll serve you better.

Fyi, I believe triarc makes a 13.9 compatible oss mount.

I have a SOLGW nox p/w on my 13.9- use it with turbo k + keymo.

Love it. I never want for a shorter setup.
I think the surefire mini or sandman k would be really nice length wise as well. A 7+ inch can is too much on a run and gun 13.7.

Turbo k + keymo is actually a great budget option if you're not going for Gucci AR points on Reddit.

Last edited:
Okay lemme ask a question that’s been bothering me here since you mentioned it.

You need to hit 16” to avoid a stamp. Now it used to be that a 14.5+ pin and weld was the way, because it let you knock off the added length of the flash hider or mount that you were going to add anyway. What is the advantage then to getting an every shorter barrel and pinning a longer flash hider or mount to it over having the extra 3/4” as barrel that gets you some extra speed over adding more mount?

FWIW my workhorse combo is a YHM Turbo K and I’m still running the YHM mounts. I have Q Cherry bombs for some of my Omega pattern cans but I didn’t see any reason to spend money changing from on the turbo.

Okay lemme ask a question that’s been bothering me here since you mentioned it.

You need to hit 16” to avoid a stamp. Now it used to be that a 14.5+ pin and weld was the way, because it let you knock off the added length of the flash hider or mount that you were going to add anyway. What is the advantage then to getting an every shorter barrel and pinning a longer flash hider or mount to it over having the extra 3/4” as barrel that gets you some extra speed over adding more mount?

FWIW my workhorse combo is a YHM Turbo K and I’m still running the YHM mounts. I have Q Cherry bombs for some of my Omega pattern cans but I didn’t see any reason to spend money changing from on the turbo.
The longer flash hider allows you to place the silencer significantly (not tons but some) further back on the rifle. Every little bit counts since the further out you stack weight on your system the more leverage it has on you and less pleasant it becomes of course.

Additionally, I'm not necessarily concerned about having the most velocity possible on a gun that is really only being used for 200m and closer shots 90% of the time. I haven't seen my 14.5" gun do anything my 13.7" can't so far.

I'm sure thinking also changed alot since the standard has moved from A2 flashiders to stuff like the Surefire and Deadair mounts which are nearly twice as long. All just my opinion 🤷

The longer flash hider allows you to place the silencer significantly (not tons but some) further back on the rifle. Every little bit counts since the further out you stack weight on your system the more leverage it has on you and less pleasant it becomes of course.

Additionally, I'm not necessarily concerned about having the most velocity possible on a gun that is really only being used for 200m and closer shots 90% of the time. I haven't seen my 14.5" gun do anything my 13.7" can't so far.

I'm sure thinking also changed alot since the standard has moved from A2 flashiders to stuff like the Surefire and Deadair mounts which are nearly twice as long. All just my opinion 🤷
Alright that makes sense, moving the can back. Doesn’t seem worth the squeeze for me, but it makes more sense in that context than the gunstagram gang that’s not using it with a silencer at all.

One of these days I’ll win the lotto and switch over to KeyMo I think. For now the cherry bombs and YHM ratchet are working for me.

Read the data at www.pewscience.com

It should inform you to a high degree and help you make an educational decision regarding the cans you’re looking at.

FWIW, I just bought an Otter Creek Polonium to replace the current OSS 762 QD I use for my 12.5” 556 AR.
This.

What can be a great can for me could be a shit can for you.

Listed to a few of his podcast and you should have a better idea of what makes sense for your aplication

Here is an older OSS suppressor that I've preserved for posterity. As far as ultrasonic cleaners with OSS cans, you might want to re-think that; at least with the older suppressors.

Here's the response that I got from OSS on a question regarding ultrasonic cleaning for their older model.

"The cap and sleeve are aluminum. You could take off the sleeve and but [sic] the entire housing in the ultrasonic cleaner and you could suspend the core so the cap is out of the solution but the majority of the metal is in the solution."

As you can tell that procedure can be a real PITA. It might be best to ask about ultrasonic cleaning with the newer suppressors. However, I've had great results with soaking in the cleaning solution as you've described.
Yeah I should have clarified it's a newer HX QD 762Ti, one piece, can't take it apart, and no aluminum anywhere in its construction. Love the photo!

Yeah I should have clarified it's a newer HX QD 762Ti, one piece, can't take it apart, and no aluminum anywhere in its construction. Love the photo!

I also have that suppressor. Regardless, I didn't want to take a chance on ultrasonic cleaning on any of my suppressors. So they get the soaking treatment.