• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire Shotgun Forends

rogers0311

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Camp Lejeune and elsewhere
Has anyone experienced any problems with the surefire shotgun forends...Im having trouble deciding if I want to buy one of these for my 870 Home Defense, or if I want one of the magazine clamps with the picitinny rail from mesa tactical in order to mount a light. Thanks.

Re: Surefire Shotgun Forends

I own the surefire forend and I put it on a wilson border model 870...and I would not do it again...it makes it way too front heavy and unwieldy...I would rather have something that it is removable...I have been looking at the lasermax 1202 combo or just the light and would recommend those:

http://www.lasermax.com/category.php?id=4

I always wanted the surefire until I took it out several times and it just wasn't user friendly although it has many nice features I would prefer one I could remove and that is lighter weight...I hope this helps...fyi I own 8 different tactical 870s, including 2 marine corps MK1s with the bayonet adapter shrouds, and I think they're the best shotguns in the world...oh yea, you mentioned the Mesa stuff...I love their stuff and have it on my Benelli m4 and can only say great great things about it...but check out the lasermax, too...

I agree with Riverguide,it does make it a little front heavy. But I do like the optional pressure pad/ on off switch setup on mine. I did end up putting the P60L lamp assembly in mine to get a few more lumens and better battery life out of it. In the end its really your choice, I like mine, but I wouldnt want to tote it for 10hrs thats for sure.

I've got the Surefire forend on my 870 and love it. The weight isn't an issue for me, since it just sits by the bed and I'm not likely to notice how much it weighs if I ever need to use it for home defense. I did a 3-gun match with it recently, and it worked fine during and after a fairly rough time. One thing that I definitely like about it over a clamp-on style light mount is that I have complete control over the light - not just when the slide is forward and my thumb, fore-finger, etc. can reach some fixed mount light. I can momentary the light or rocker it on at any point, no matter what else I'm doing.

Keep in mind that surefire shows an LED version in their current book. I haven't checked to see if it's in production yet, but I recommend the LED in just about any application. My M600C Scoutlight, X300, and several E1B LED lights are head and shoulders above their supposed incandescent equivalents, and a shotgun is hard on a filament. LEDs would be perfect for that application.

I highly recommend the Surefire forend, at least for a beside-the-bed gun, or patrol car rig.

I like the picatinny one

m69-large.jpg

LED's are good to go as long as you don't need to slap on IR filter. Definitely a plus for the battery life

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunsmithcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LED's are good to go as long as you don't need to slap on IR filter. Definitely a plus for the battery life </div></div>

+1

"I highly recommend the Surefire forend, at least for a beside-the-bed gun, or patrol car rig."

If that is your only criteria I could not agree anymore...bottom line is that they are in the top 2% but IMHO they are way too heavy to hump...

The primary purpose of the shotgun will be a home defense weapon. It will mainly remain bedside unless something happens of course. I do not plan on humping it anywhere. I will be shooting on the weekends.

The thing that is attractive to me about the surefire is that the buttons are easy to access. I do not like surefire lights with pressure pads, as my experience has been they get tangled with shit, rip, etc etc. Also, I know that when you get in a gunfight, your fine motor skills pretty much dissapear, and trying to hit the tailcap on a regular surefire mounted to a rail would be alot more difficult to then the surefire forend system.

As has been previously been stated, the surefire fore end is heavy.

It is also large, as in around. This might not be a problem for you, I don't know your glove size. But lady's have smaller hands, and I have seen numerous issues with them. The pressure pad is not the greatest idea, after the first shot, because then your grip tightens. Fine motor movement of finger pressure and gross motor movement of hand pressure and arm movement all at the same time. Dubious and obvious in practice.

The light performance is lacking to current pistol lights, like the x300.

I for one don't want anything to snag up or stop my pump stroke. The pump handle should be rounded and easy to grasp. I've found the light to catch on barricades and slings. Loves to grab slings.

I haven't used the streamlight laser light combo. My 870 is 14" and too short to mount it. I'm running an X300 on a Picatinny Streamlight adapter at the 6 oclock position. It's the best thing I've tried so far and causes no problems. Slide the light off my handgun and on the shotgun. Takes seconds.

But I'm just a guy on the internet. I only shoot 500 rounds a month through my 870. Maybe someone else will chime in.