• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire Socom 50 - Experience ?

mrad0007

Present
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Mandeville, LA
randomly decided to buy a Socom 50 from Mile High this afternoon and was curious if anyone has prior experience with them? I have already shot the barrett 50 suppressor and it was ok, but im aware your suppressing a 50 (in my case a 416) and using on single shot, nonetheless, looking for thoughts on this.

Hope someone chimes in as I would be interested as well. I saw the SOCOM 50 on Surefires's site and thought it seemed interesting.

I can say this so far, doesn‘t come with a muzzle brake from what I was told, therefore will have to order one for it. I want to say this makes sense since there are a few different thread patterns out there for these bigger guns, but still you pay $2,650 for a suppressor and then your told “but wait there’s more, you still need to spend $299 on a muzzle brake” - it’s like playing the Price Is Right the wrong way haha

the other Surefire suppressors are the same way. You get to decide/buy a muzzle brake or a flash hider in your thread pitch. It is sort of like cameras and lenses here. I just ordered a SOCOM RC2 in 7.62 because I already had bought the mounts for a few of my guns and wanted a 2nd suppressor - after you have a few mounts, swapping them to some other mount/suppressor combo can add extra expense...

the other Surefire suppressors are the same way. You get to decide/buy a muzzle brake or a flash hider in your thread pitch. It is sort of like cameras and lenses here. I just ordered a SOCOM RC2 in 7.62 because I already had bought the mounts for a few of my guns and wanted a 2nd suppressor - after you have a few mounts, swapping them to some other mount/suppressor combo can add extra expense...
i get your observation, but damn they are proud of a muzzle break 😂

Reactions: Mrindecisive
We are a Surefire OEM shop, so we buy alot of Surefire and use in rifles and upper receivers we build. As such, we sell a lot of Surefire suppressors. We also sell great suppressors from Barrett, Energetic Armament, Dead Air, Rex, TBAC, etc. We also sell a fair number of bolt action Cadex rifles and chassis, and many in .50 cal.

I mention this as a qualification to my next comment. We do not sell many .50 cal Surefire cans. The ones we have sold and shot have been outstanding. Until the recent bankruptcy of Remington Outdoors, our .50 cal cans have been AAC and Barrett. Then again, many of the .50 cal ELR shooters are not shooting suppressed.

I would be more than happy to help you choose, or to quote you on Barrett and Surefire. I am also curious what you are shooting.

We are a Surefire OEM shop, so we buy alot of Surefire and use in rifles and upper receivers we build. As such, we sell a lot of Surefire suppressors. We also sell great suppressors from Barrett, Energetic Armament, Dead Air, Rex, TBAC, etc. We also sell a fair number of bolt action Cadex rifles and chassis, and many in .50 cal.

I mention this as a qualification to my next comment. We do not sell many .50 cal Surefire cans. The ones we have sold and shot have been outstanding. Until the recent bankruptcy of Remington Outdoors, our .50 cal cans have been AAC and Barrett. Then again, many of the .50 cal ELR shooters are not shooting suppressed.

I would be more than happy to help you choose, or to quote you on Barrett and Surefire. I am also curious what you are shooting.
I bought the Surefire Socom 50 already and will put it on a M99, I have a 82A1 but can’t suppress that one.

the other part of this was me rambling on about how the Surefire 50 suppressor didn‘t come with a muzzle device. I get why as there are different thread patterns for this caliber and it was also my first Surefire brand suppressor purchase and didn’t know Surefire didn’t include a muzzle device typically (i have other suppressors from brands you referenced, but none in 50 cal)

I also was hoping there was a chance someone had experience with one of these already just to get some insight on possible ammo types or hand loads used ( i hand load 50) with it and how those performed respectively, but I knew the reality of that was small since it‘s new and the caliber it’s for.

That said I still need to get a muzzle device once the Form 4 on this suppressor is approved.

I bought the Surefire Socom 50 already and will put it on a M99, I have a 82A1 but can’t suppress that one.

the other part of this was me rambling on about how the Surefire 50 suppressor didn‘t come with a muzzle device. I get why as there are different thread patterns for this caliber and it was also my first Surefire brand suppressor purchase and didn’t know Surefire didn’t include a muzzle device typically (i have other suppressors from brands you referenced, but none in 50 cal)

I also was hoping there was a chance someone had experience with one of these already just to get some insight on possible ammo types or hand loads used ( i hand load 50) with it and how those performed respectively, but I knew the reality of that was small since it‘s new and the caliber it’s for.

That said I still need to get a muzzle device once the Form 4 on this suppressor is approved.
forgot to mention the M99 is chambered in 416 now not 50 but i still hand load both

I'm interested in this too. 2 questions for anyone that's shot the SurefireSocom50 or Barret QDL suppressor on a 50;

-Does the muzzle brake feature on the end of these cans seem to reduce recoil down more than a normal suppressor with no brake on the end?

-I'm looking at getting a Desert Tech HTI 50 but would only run it with a can. Anybody know if either of these suppressors will mate up to the HTI?

Thanks

I've shot the Barrett QDL and the muzzle break on the end does help over not having it; that said i decided to purchase the surefire because it was designed around a bolt action 50 vs the Barrett being designed around a semi-auto. Surefire has a muzzle break that will match the factory threads from Desert Tech for the HTI 50 barrel.

Reactions: ARKEMAXUS
Form 3 cleared, still waiting on Form 4
9DDD10D3-D220-44E2-9A83-205F41ED38DB.jpeg

Reactions: camocorvette
Bumping this, can we get pics of the break and eveything mounted?

Also interested in how effective is the brake standalone.

FYI for any one in the market for 50cal Suppressor, Rex Silentium just came out with his 50cal suppressor. I think its around $1900

sorry for an entirely too long late reply - life got insane for awhile but now it’s more just chaos so it’s good, here is the suppressor on a Desert Tech - if someone knows how post a video clip please let me know and i’ll post one to try and give some resemblance of sound

Attachments

• BEE556C3-DCC3-428D-AA96-34BBFB678BD4.jpeg
    BEE556C3-DCC3-428D-AA96-34BBFB678BD4.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 176
  • D150C7E0-0A6F-4346-BBDD-095C5739FD71.jpeg
    D150C7E0-0A6F-4346-BBDD-095C5739FD71.jpeg
    632.6 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: noz455sd
yes, i’m highly impressed with difference it makes shooting a bolt action 50 bmg. Everyone that’s been around it says it does far more than they expected

Reactions: noz455sd
Anyone know where I can find a SOCOM50? I bought the brakes for my M107 and HTI, then find out that Surefire isn’t making them any more. Hoping to find one in the wild.

Anyone know where I can find a SOCOM50? I bought the brakes for my M107 and HTI, then find out that Surefire isn’t making them any more. Hoping to find one in the wild.
From what i was told having mine, they released (5) each of these suppressors through Mile High Shooting for civilian purchase. Surefire told me awhile back they were undecided on when they would release more to general public, but i know for sure they are still allowed to be ordered through their Military sales division on individual request. Let me know if you have anymore questions as I bought mine through Mile High when they were available and I will try to help out

Unobtanium in my experience over one year of looking. Currently hoping the TBAC 50 cal comes out soon so I can get that instead.

Unobtanium in my experience over one year of looking. Currently hoping the TBAC 50 cal comes out soon so I can get that instead.

Don't look past the Rex Cans. The 2 cans I have from him are phenomenal, and others have spoken the same words.
ITs out of stock now, but I'm sure you could call or send an email and get an update or have him do a custom can.

Don't look past the Rex Cans. The 2 cans I have from him are phenomenal, and others have spoken the same words.
ITs out of stock now, but I'm sure you could call or send an email and get an update or have him do a custom can.

What is recoil like of the suppressor vs brake? One of the desirable aspects of the Surefire 50 is it reduces recoil more than their brake alone. From what I've seen, current market 50 BMG suppressors without integrated brakes make recoil so high it's not worth the reduction in sound.

Last edited:
What is recoil like of the suppressor vs brake? One of the desirable aspects of the Surefire 50 is it reduces recoil more than their brake alone. From what I've seen, current market 50 BMG suppressors without integrated brakes make recoil so high it's not worth the reduction in sound.

I don't have the 50bmg can nor do I have any of the muzzle brake caps he makes. The difference in my cans to brake on my AR's is minimal, but this is a whole different animal.

He makes a special compensating cap for the his big bore cans though. This one is proprietary to his "massive cans". Looks not quite as big as the surefire one, but I'd email or call him, he's great to talk to.

A normal suppressed 50bmg (ie, no "Brake" on the suppressor) has extreme recoil, much more than a 50 with a good 50 brake.

When we're ready to release ours, we'll have recoil numbers to compare everything. Sorry, don't have a solid ETA yet. Ray posted the teaser last week or something.

Last edited:
A big allure of the Socom50 for was the QD mount and the brake. Can get something similar for the Barrett, but no brake options for the HTI

From what i was told having mine, they released (5) each of these suppressors through Mile High Shooting for civilian purchase. Surefire told me awhile back they were undecided on when they would release more to general public, but i know for sure they are still allowed to be ordered through their Military sales division on individual request. Let me know if you have anymore questions as I bought mine through Mile High when they were available and I will try to help out
I remember seeing Mile High have them for sale but I was worried about actually getting the comps for it. Here’s to hoping there’s still one unpurchased unicorn out there.

I put 5 rounds through my AAC Cyclops on my AX-50. The recoil was brutal. I thought I was going to detach a retina. And I shoot my 416 Rigby and 470 Nitro often.

Now the Cyclops just gets used on my 510 Whisper.

Cant wait for the TBAC offering so I can shoot my 50s quietly.

I had the Rex can. it was hearing safe quiet. it also beat you like a motorcycle accident when you fired it.

• Haha
Reactions: KZP
A normal suppressed 50bmg has extreme recoil, much more than a 50 with a good 50 brake.

When we're ready to release ours, we'll have recoil numbers to compare everything. Sorry, don't have a solid ETA yet. Ray posted the teaser last week or something.
If there was a way to post a video I would of me shooting the HTI I have with the Socom50 can. I think the recoil is the same vs. just a brake roughly with this can and was actually very impressed with it considering I was expecting enhanced recoil.

Did you have the standard can or the one with the break ports on the end?
No brake ports. I missed getting one with the brake by about a week. That said - I'm going to say that the thing was SO quiet I couldn't imagine there being enough gas left to drive a endcap brake all that well lol.

Reactions: Gustav7