• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surefire Suppressor Adapater Help

Breachtyler

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2017
Recently I added a Surefire SOCOM Muzzle adapter onto my AI AXSA rifle. Prior to installing this adapater, the rifle would group at around 3/8" or less with 10 shot groups at 100 yards if I did my job. It was very consistent and accurate. However, after installing this brake, my groups opened up to around 2.25". I'm familiar with barrel harmonics...I expected a POI shift, but not this. I'm also fairly familiar with brakes, and how to install them. This one is not torqued down much at all..barely more than handtight with threadlocker...I've also tried 30ft lbs, no difference in accuracy. It is shimmed and timed properly.

I feel that the adapter may be defective and is what is affecting accuracy because I also have a SCAR 20s that experienced the same effect with this same brake/adapter. My 20s was about a 3/4" gun at 100, but after installing the surefire socom on it, they opened up to about 1.5-2". With the brake off...both rifles are back to their normal expected grouping. The brake is concentric on both rifles...nothing looks "off", I am not sure why it would be causing this much of a change.

Has anyone else experienced something like this with the Surefire SOCOM?

Any advice is appreciate. Thanks.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 22
  • Wow
Reactions: 338dude
Are you torqing the muzzle device to spec? Also, you should be using Rocksett with a muzzle device intended for silencer use. If it's just plain lock tite it might be walking off.

Are you torqing the muzzle device to spec? Also, you should be using Rocksett with a muzzle device intended for silencer use. If it's just plain lock tite it might be walking off.
it was rocksett the first time, just have some threadlocker on now until I figure out what’s going on with it. Tried torquing to spec, tried just over hand tight and in between as some other suggested. No Change in results.

@Breachtyler what ended up with this situation? I'm curious because I have a SF setup and was looking to use a SF can on a bolt-based target setup I am putting together.

I am not sure which SOCOM muzzle device you are/were using or caliber? You mentioned a brake, but is it their brake, one of their flash hiders or even the Warcomp?

Hi there,
I’m still working with their customer service to figure it out. I’m using the SOCOM adapter which is different than the warcomp. If we find what’s causing it I’ll update.

I'm not familiar with a specific product known as the SOCOM adapter. Isn't that the category of muzzle devices the Warcomp, Brake and Hiders fits under?

Are you using their Muzzle Brake which is the general purpose adapter?

What caliber are you mounting it to?

Have you checked alignment and concentricity of the brake by using a properly sized bore alignment rod? Assuming the brake is vertically aligned.