• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Surefire Suppressor Question

Tacsnipe73

Infidel
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2012
Virginia
This might sound kind of stupid, but I am looking to get a suppressor for my .260 bolt, and am wondering if the surefire 6.8 mm will work. I know that the 7.62 mm is what most people use, but I was thinking that you could maybe achieve better suppression with the 6.8 mm.

Any thoughts or advise would be more than welcome.

Re: Surefire Suppressor Question

You would get better suppression with the smaller hole on a closed bolt.

That's what I thought, but would there be enough room in the suppressor for the higher amount of gasses from the .260 ? It says they are built for the 6.8 spc and similar rounds.

I am running a FA68K on my .260 bolt gun with no issues whatsoever. I am running a 27 inch krieger barrel shooting factory Corbon 139's.

i think you would get better suppression out of a 7.62 suppressor as i think they are bigger (more volume).

The 6.8k is only 6" and the 7.62k is 8.4"

The 7.62k would be quieter I bet

I would get the 7.62 as well. Just in case for another rifle. And no downside.

Does anyone know of a suppressor that is made specifically for the Rem .260, 6.5 Grendel, and similar rounds? Something with the same volume as a .308 can, but with a smaller hole?

I know TBAC will make one of there 30 cal suppressors for the 6.5mm round. Contact Zac Smith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tacsnipe73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know of a suppressor that is made specifically for the Rem .260, 6.5 Grendel, and similar rounds? Something with the same volume as a .308 can, but with a smaller hole? </div></div>

OPS INC will do custom work and I know Delta P Brevis comes in 6.5 caliber

Does the size of the exit hole matter in terms of suppression? A lot of people seem to say that they achieve better suppression on their 308 from using a .338 can, and I know that is because it has more volume. But would it work even better if it had a smaller hole, or does that not affect it's performance?

Yes, smaller is better since there would be less gas able to blow by the bullet as it traveled out of the barrel and through the suppressor.It would probably be almost unoticable to most though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tacsnipe73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the size of the exit hole matter in terms of suppression? A lot of people seem to say that they achieve better suppression on their 308 from using a .338 can, and I know that is because it has more volume. But would it work even better if it had a smaller hole, or does that not affect it's performance? </div></div>

It also matters the pressure behind the projectile. A 338 can suppresses 30 cal so well because of that large volume. But baffle design still has a lot to do with it. Having a correct exit aperture is nice but not really critical. I would rather have a 30 cal can on my 6.5's then a designated can because you are still able to use that suppressor for other rifles. A 30cal can is so much more flexible.

The size of the hole matter when all other things are the same. For example I have a surefire 212 5.56 suppressor and a 7.62 Mini they are the same except for the hole i believe.

The 7.62 mini is noticeably louder on a 11.5" 5.56 AR.

However typically a 7.62 suppressor has more volume and is a deeper sound making it seem quieter.

Thanks for all your input, 30 cal it shall be. MB762SSAL/RE muzzle brake inbound. Now the wait......

The reasoning behind the mini 762 sounding louder on a 11.5" SBR is because they were designed for 14.5" and up per Surefire's manual. I run my mini on a 14.5" Noveske upper and it sounds the same to me as my LMT 14.5" with 556AR suppressor.

The 762 Mini was originally designed for the 7.62 X 39 as well as for guys running the .300 blackout. It will work on a .308 but it doesn't have the volume like a 762k so it will not give you the same type of sound reduction.

I don't know why anyone is talking about Surefire cans!! They are only great if you can get your hands on one!! lol

Just find a stocking dealer Dag.... I've not had a problem coming across them locally, if you can believe that.
wink.gif