• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Surf fishing rod......please suggest some good options for gift

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
One of my dearest friends is a Police Officer in NY. He's exhausted, things have gotten pretty tough and he's got quite a few years in. He's going to retire....a shame because he loved being a police officer. It's probably the right time for him, enjoy the family, enjoy some free time.

I'd like to send him a surf fishing rod......we used to love to fish out a Montauk when we were kids, but that was mostly on fishing boats. I recall back then he mentioned wanting to take up surf fishing?

I found this 12 ft one called Offshore Angler Power Stick Surf Spinning Rod. The ad says:
  • Two-piece, RT2 graphite blank
  • Fuji aluminum oxide guides
  • Graphite reel seat
  • Stainless steel cushioned hoods
  • X-wrap rubber over EVA handles
It's running $110

does this sound like a good option? i know nothing about them.

thanks

Think you need to figure out what weight baits and what type of baits you're going to be throwing before getting a rod. Then match a reel.

I would look at St. Croix or Mojo would be my choice budget allowing.

will look at those brands, thank you
he lives thousands of miles away in NY....miss that guy.... not sure what type of bait etc they use in Montauk....all i remember was catching stripers.

Last edited:
Out here in CA, I use my steelhead set up. It's a 9' lamiglass steelhead rod and shimano curado k baitcaster. It lets me cast out far if I need it, light enough action to feel small surf perch and strong enough to handle big ling cod and stripers. It's the nicest set up I've owned but not the nicest out there. Not sure if that'll fit your needs for surf casting over there or not. I've seen some east coast guys running huge rods and heavy tackle but out here I've never had any issues with lighter/smaller.

depending on how serious he is, it may be hard to get exactly what he wants or that will match his existing gear. maybe a gift cert?

appreciate it.....i don't believe that he's had the chance to go fishing in too many years with work, family, overtime etc.

I'm hoping to surprise him with something that might stir up some good memories, some good feelings and hopefully afford him an excuse to destress. This whole situation has really taken its toll on him...he's a very gentle and kind soul and never imagined that his profession would ever become so misconstrued.

Reactions: Mr. Z
I bought a fairly cheap outfit years ago and it didn't last long even though I kept it washed out and oiled. I went ahead and broke down and bought a good Penn rod and real and haven't had a bit of problem out of it. But your going to pay more for it.

I had that rod and the guides were a disappointment. The disk inside the guides fell out and I had to super glue them back in place. Maybe I got a rod built on Friday afternoon before a long weekend, but if you can step up to a Diawa or a Penn I think it is money well spent. I have a Penn reel from the 60's that is as good as the day it was shipped. I still have the box too.

Look at the rods from break away usa. They are exceptional. Pretty easy to throw a 6 an bait 200 yards with good form

thanks for asking
i sent him a Penn as that brand was mentioned a couple of time. i think he'll love it.

Reactions: Toftwo
I have two tica surf rods that I fish for drum and blue fish with in the outer banks and I absolutely love them. Usually throwing 6-10oz weighs with ease

Montauk they have stripers they fish from the surf

There is a forum stripersonlinedotcom

lots of the guys on there are from that area maybe check on there for better info. Anyways some rods in the $200 or lower range

Daiwa Team daiwa Surf
Dblue
Lamiglas surf King
Tica Surf
Tsunami Airwave

Just to name a few

thanks....i'll forward this information to him.
hopefully now that he's retired he might be interested in taking some long range rifle classes with me
he's a wonderful person and an amazing friend

A good gift can be a Wavestorm 8′ Classic. It is an expensive board, but if the person like surfing, he will enjoy it at its maximum
Dude. Totally rad. Unfortunately this thread is over a year old and he’s discussing surf fishing not boarding 🍻🤣