• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surgeon 591 and RSR action question

wallbanger

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2005
In the bush.
Hey fellas. I can't seem to find specifics so I'm asking the pro's. I guess I could ask Surgeon but they are at SHOT and would like faster info. Is a stock inletted for the 591 SA repeater a drop in for the RSR? If not what would be the specifics? Thanks for any responses.

Re: Surgeon 591 and RSR action question

My MCM stock that is inletted for a Surgeon has a RSR in it. The RSR will work in a 700 inlet. With the straight down design of the bolt on both Surgeon Actions the Surgeon inlet is the way to go.

the biggest difference on the actions is going to be the side bolt release tehe 591's is much larger and the cut out is bigger

yes a rsr will drop in a surgeon 591 footprint, but to me the side bolt release cut out is a little big

i would order a rem 700 footprint with a straight bolt handle cut for an RSR, then a surgeon inlet for a 591, heck knowing mcmillan they might have seperate inletts.

but to answer your question, yes it will work, even a rem 700 inletting stock can be made to work with surgeon, just requires the bolt handle cut out to be tweaked a bit

There is another difference besides the side bolt release, the RSR recoil lug is longer top to bottom, the 591 recoil lug is shorter. So you MAY need to deepen the recoil lug channel a bit.

People might also know if a stock is inletted for a stiller pred .308 length action will the surgeon 591 drop in no worries ?

the RSR & 591 bolt handles are the same....and slightly straighter than the swept-back 700 bolt handle. So, if the stock has a remington700 bolt handle cut out, it will not be a perfect match for the Surgeon bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the RSR & 591 bolt handles are the same....and slightly straighter than the swept-back 700 bolt handle. So, if the stock has a remington700 bolt handle cut out, it will not be a perfect match for the Surgeon bolt. </div></div>

True, but you could send your stock into McMillan and have them do a Surgeon conversion on the bolt handle channel and other parts if needed. I had them do it on mine, and you cant even tell, they did a great job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the RSR & 591 bolt handles are the same....and slightly straighter than the swept-back 700 bolt handle. So, if the stock has a remington700 bolt handle cut out, it will not be a perfect match for the Surgeon bolt. </div></div>

True, but you could send your stock into McMillan and have them do a Surgeon conversion on the bolt handle channel and other parts if needed. I had them do it on mine, and you cant even tell, they did a great job! </div></div>

Good point. McM is great about filling in chips and in this case they could fix the Remington cut for you. My problem is I have Edge stocks. They can't fix those.