• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surgeon 591 Gunsmithing

Aaros143

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 16, 2013
Austin, TX
Have a rifle built on a Surgeon action. Looking to restock and rebarrel it. Before I rebarrel it I was thinking of having an M16 type extractor installed and having it DLC or Melonite coated. Will the M16 extractor work on a Surgeon bolt?

I have no particular issue with it. But I would like the option of an easier extractor to replace. Plus if I'm gonna melonite or DLC it then I would like to have the work done beforehand.

Check with Surgeon, but I am pretty sure only the magnum bolt faces are available with the M16 extractor.

I was under the impression you could get it (mini-16)on The 591’s on the .473 Bf. Don’t see why not?

Last edited:
One of the best things about the surgeon is that they’re one of the few customs that still come with a standard Remington extractor. You can buy 10 new Remington extractors for the price of the installed M16, and your angle of extraction will remain correct(unlike the m16). That’s enough extractors to easily outlast you, and probably the receiver itself.

Excellent point. So if it's an issue then why is it offered on a Surgeon bolt and why do so many gunsmiths offer the service.

Excellent point. So if it's an issue then why is it offered on a Surgeon bolt and why do so many gunsmiths offer the service.

Because people ask for it. Back in the day it was a sako extractor, m16 is the current fad.

Last edited:
I've always heard that replacing a Remington extractor was a pain in the butt. So without considering the cost which is easier to replace?

When Dave Tooley and Robert Gradous like the quote, no elaboration should be needed. I would think this is the route I would go!
That impressed me, but it didn't learn me why.

Last edited:
The factory ejector is behind the lug, so ejection is at about 3:30. Any extractor you add has to be on top of the lug, raising the angle of ejection, usually into the bottom of the windage turret.
Makes perfect sense, thanks for explaining that.

I've always heard that replacing a Remington extractor was a pain in the butt. So without considering the cost which is easier to replace?

It’s not hard at all. You just need something small enough to get under it. It’s sprung into its pocket. That’s The beauty of it. There are no other parts it relies on for function(pins, springs, etc). The key to its reliability is to keep debris out from behind it. A blast of contact cleaner occasionally works wonders. As noted in the vid, do not remove it for maintenance. Once it it’s removed for any reason, toss it and install a new one.

Some Remington extractors are riveted in place. Those take the correct tools and a little more effort to replace.

You likely heard they were difficult to replace from people who didn't have the tools or experience.