• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon 591

reid.hall

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2024
williamsburg va
Good Day,

I am looking for some help in barrel selection for my Surgeon SA 591 .308 Repeater. This action has never been used and i am thinking to start build with it. I am looking into Bartlein and Krieger barrels. However I am unsure of what measurements ie. thread pitch and length I may need to order. Current idea is a M24 profile, 1/8 5R, 24 in. I have only been in precision shooting for about two years now. Please let me know what advice you may have. Thanks!

Which thread are you talking about? Why would you need the measurements? Are you doing the machine work yourself?

I will not be doing any machine work myself. Really, I am trying to ensure I am buying the correct barrel to get started and to take any recommended input.

I will not be doing any machine work myself. Really, I am trying to ensure I am buying the correct barrel to get started and to take any recommended input.
The M24, which has a 1.2” breech end, will he fine. A blanks with a 1.25” breech will work too.

If you really just want to know, ask Surgeon for a copy of their tenon drawing. Your smith should have this information

I like 4 groove Kriegers personally. I think having a barrel with a little longer shank or a contour that allows for that is preferable (more meat around the case). Go as heavy as your needs dictate.

M24, MTU

22”-24” 6.5 creed with 5/8x24 muzzle threads.

Bartlein

Thanks for the link. I called them and they were very helpful! If any of you need barrels and great customer service give them a call.

Went with a 1:8 24” M24 profile. With an AI AX chassis.

Depending on age, you can use a impact or lone peak pre fit. Should be same tennon print assuming similar headspace( make sure you check with gauge).

Impacts are product improved surgeons , made by the same guy. Lone peaks are copies of impact.

Depending on age, you can use a impact or lone peak pre fit. Should be same tennon print assuming similar headspace( make sure you check with gauge).

Impacts are product improved surgeons , made by the same guy. Lone peaks are copies of impact.
I'd be careful about this. I've heard only certain runs of surgeons (the really old ones, or the really new ones) are precise enough to reliably headspace off the Impact prefits.