• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Round action photos

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Well here they are. Action came disassembled but I did throw the firing pin and shroud onto the bolt. I went with the standard Surgeon bolt handle and no base yet. Scope base holes are set to the standard Remington short action spacing and have two small holes to pin the rail as well. The lug is double pinned at the front and the anti bind rail runs down the middle of the left side. This will be getting a Brux barrel in .243 for tactical matches. The only thing I have not settled on is going with a medium contour palma with the JP/cooley brake or going with the heavy palma and no brake.

Also can anyone confirm if the Savage round action is also the same spacing as the Remington short? I want to go with Seekins rings and bases so I did not get the Surgeon base with the action.

Surgeon002.jpg

Surgeon003.jpg

Surgeon004.jpg

Surgeon005.jpg

Surgeon006.jpg

Surgeon007.jpg

Surgeon008.jpg

Surgeon001.jpg

Re: Surgeon Round action photos

Rats, makes me wish I would have gotten into the group buy. That's very nice. Threads are pronounced and all the lines are just as nice. You'll have to show us the finished product. Thanks for sharing and making me want more.

why do away with the integrated rail/lug? wasnt that a selling point?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why do away with the integrated rail/lug? wasnt that a selling point? </div></div>

Yeah, could've been another action I was looking at but I thought they were touting that you could hit it with a hammer and it wouldn't fall off. Sounded good to me.

BTW, it's still a great looking action. Wish I had one.

They still sell the action with the integrated rail/lug. At group buy prices this one was $585 less. The lug is included but the rail costs extra, eating into the "savings". The reason for this action is to have Surgeon quality at a lower price point.

The integral lug means they have to machine the entire thing from one huge block. The raw block is indexed a little bit at a time as everything is machined in. With the conventional round you can at least start with a piece or round bar stock of nominal dimensions and machine it down on a lathe.

What masterpiece!!! There is your reason to never ever use a Remington again!

Thanks for posting the pictures. I still can't photobucket to load mine. The front angle shot shows what I was trying to say in the group thread about the lug does not sit even with the outside diameter of the action. But I haven't seen any that does and don't know why they don't make it so. I just think it would provide a cleaner look with the action, lug, and barrel shank the same diameter.

Another thing I would have liked to have seen is the bolt shroud with a larger gas flange. Yes I know the 700 is not supposed to need it, but it would be nice. Just something extra to protect the eyes, just in case.

Did you get your bolt chromed? I did, and think it looks pretty good with a nice matte finish.

The idea was to get a precision action, with a lower price point than the original. The original action has more features but your paying almost $600 extra for it.

Is the Seekins better than the Surgeon or is it cheaper? Why wouldnt you want the rail that has the pins to match the action? Just curious I'm buying one of these this fall. Grat looking action thanks for posting pics

Yeah I might go ahead and get the Surgeon rail after all. Im sending it out tomorrow for the build so I will have a couple months to save the cash for the rail. I kind of went a little backwards; I have been accumulating the brass, bullets, powder, dies, stock and barrel before I ever had an action.

How much is this action without the group buy deal? The price isn't listed on the surgeon site. Also, will there be another group buy for this action in the future?

I went ahead and made the call to send me the Surgeon base. The action by far exceded my expectations. It has a very heavy duty feel to it.

I got the surgeon base for mine. It's just as good as my seekins but matches up the recoil pins and such perfectly, which the Seekins would not.

Anyone know when Surgeon will have their rings done? I kind of like to match the rings to the base which was why I was looking at the seekings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sl78928</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much is this action without the group buy deal? The price isn't listed on the surgeon site. </div></div>

+1. How much for just a single one?

Call them for pricing, I dont think they are real big on keeping the website up to the minute for updates.

I might have 4 of them for sale with the rail. I will know tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might have 4 of them for sale with the rail. I will know tomorrow. </div></div>

By tomorrow you mean today, as today is yesterday's tomorrow (sorry i just woke up and i'm sick today). Any word? Sounds very interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 5 action ordered that may ship next week.</div></div>

beanland,
PM'ed you on actions. Thanks, Richard

Just got my surgeon base in. I have never personally seen a base with such attention to detail. I will definitly be purchasing the rings when ready. Thanks Preston!

Looks very nice Job well done Surgeon!!

.257, any eta on the rings? I just ordered the base today and its in the mail...

not to be picky but what are those "cuts/knicks" on the edges on top of the tang screw hole?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to be picky but what are those "cuts/knicks" on the edges on top of the tang screw hole?</div></div>

Those are the continuation of the threads to the top of the tang.

Mine will be here on wed. I cant wait. this will be my first custom actiom. Now i just need to decide what to do with it? I also bought the rail with mine. I didnt know they were going to do rings as well? That sounds pretty good to me!! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.257, any eta on the rings? I just ordered the base today and its in the mail... </div></div>

is there going to be a group buy on the surgeon scope rings?

Just got word that my WSM RSR is ready to ship, 7WSM here I come!!!

The more I handled the action and the base the more impressed I am. I have a trued 700 but there are just somethings that have to be held side by side to be experiences. The 700 is smooth but the Surgeon is like a perfectly timed bank vault, you can just "feel" the precision and tolerances.

The scope base is unreal, it uses all four holes with 8x36 screws, two pins and a lug at the front of the receiver hole. If the base was to ever suffer damage it would probably not matter because the user and the rest of the rifle would undoubtably be hamburger.

As above, the rail is totally bomb proof. The action and rail are both beautifully machined. The interface and fit is perfect.

I bought one of these, not to save money, but to save weight. The one with integrated rail is quite a bit heavier than this round action with an aluminum rail. With that thought in mind, I asked Surgeon if they could make an aluminum rail. The answer was, "YES, it will be ready in about two months." SWEET!...and I saved a little money too.
smile.gif

scooter-pie Did you have to special order an aluminum base or are they going to be offering them in two months to every one. I ordered a surgeon round action and a base but I would rather go aluminum to save weight like you.

Like i said above mine will be here on wed i cant wait! Are these action machined to really tight tolerances? I guess what i am asking is, can these action be carakoted or is the tolerances to tight? I guess i am comparing these to some bench rest type actions. I know the BAT action are really tight and dust and dirt could cause some problems. I hope this makes some since!! Lee

Yes they can be coated. When you order make sure you get the bolt with .002 clearance on each side. And tell them you want the bolt that is NOT chromed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chupacabra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">scooter-pie Did you have to special order an aluminum base or are they going to be offering them in two months to every one. I ordered a surgeon round action and a base but I would rather go aluminum to save weight like you. </div></div>

They will be available to everyone. It seems like a no-brainer to make an aluminum rail for this since many people will buy it specifically to save weight. Otherwise just buy the original. Looks like the fine folks at Surgeon agree.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes they can be coated. When you order make sure you get the bolt with .002 clearance on each side. And tell them you want the bolt that is NOT chromed. </div></div>

I didnt know we had an option of how much clearance the bolt had, and why NO chrome on the bolt?

Chrome will take up the additional clearance the receiver had, and if it was coated on top of that... Actually I don't think coating would even stick to chrome plating, and trying to "rough" up the chromed plated bolt so coating could hold would be tough unless you spend the extra stripping the chrome first.

I would personally leave the bolt un-chromed on the very slim off chance it still needed to be "adjusted". I know it shouldn't happen but if it does, a bare bolt would be a lot easier to work on.