• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon round inlet question

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Guys,
My action is at the smith for the barrel and I have a BC light tactical sitting on the desk. Im still a couple of weeks out but wanted to start on the paint for the stock (Im using air cure cerakote and want the full five days between colors) How much of an inlet do I need off the top of the left side for the bolt release? I dont mind having to do a little touch up but did not want to have it way off.

I will only be doing a very thin skim bed and will not be raising the action out of the stock any noticeable amount.

Re: Surgeon round inlet question

It will not be much. I cant tell you exactly but not a lot. Another thing you need to think about is the bolt area of the stock. The surgeon bolt has more drop in angle when closed (locked up) than a standard rem 700 bolt. you may have to mill the slot were the bolt goes so the bolt isnt sitting on the stock and not fully locked up. Also the back tang of the surgeon action is wider than a standard rem 700. You may have to do some work in that area as well. I bought a new Mcmillan A-5 for my surgeon round action, and i couldnt use it. Even the ejection port didnt line up exactly correct. You probably should have check all this out before you committed to the stock. I hope i am wrong as i know the feeling of learning the hard way!! Good luck. Lee

Why not just wait till the gun is finished before painting? You gotta do the barreled action too right? I'm just saying....
smile.gif

Skeet what are you going to do about the stock . Preston told me to order a stock inletted for the 700. He said the smith would have to cut a little out of the stock for the side bolt release. I am wondering because mt stock is still at MCM. Hope mine turs out alright. I ordered an adj. HTG.

Skeet, interesting on not fitting an A-5, I dropped the action into another stock fitted for a Rem 700 with a side bolt release and everything looked perfect, detachable bottom metal also looked like a perfect fit. I know the bolt release was not a good fit to the inlet I already have but could not remember if it was a tight fit or real loose.

I guess Im just impatient on wanting to wait on getting the action back, it will be getting a single color bake on so ut will be independent of the stock.

If someone has a generic measurement to give I might just plan out the colors so a little work in either area will be just a matter of finishing any holes in the pattern, going to be something along the lines of a desert flectarn.

i would just hold off. I had to put the surgeon action in one of my AICS stocks. I was a little disappointed but the AICS is a cool stock to. We could have made the stock work but we had no way to re-coat the areas were we would had to inlet. the gel coat is what i am referring to. You will not have the same problem with gel-coat on the B&C stock but you will have to touch up some spots (most likely)!! Maybe my smith will read this and chime in here. I dont want to steer anyone in the wrong direction. This has been my experience. Lee

I will say the main areas of trouble will be the bolt slot, and the back tang on the surgeon is wider than a remmy. I like my shit to be right and you could definitely tell it wasnt going to be. ejection cutout wasnt lined up perfectly either. The bolt throw has a lot more down angle than a remmy as well. again guys just my experience. hope everything works out for you. With the mcmillan stocks, they make a surgeon inlet. I didnt know. I was the same way. I figured rem 700 foot print so it should work. Nope!! Well it will but just not to my likings. Out!! Lee

Lee, the rear tang is a little wider but i don't think that will cause much problem. The biggest problem is the ejection port on the side. The surgeon comes just a little further back than the remington is inletted for. You have to lengthen the ejection port to the rear to make it look right. This is not much problem on a painted stock because you can just paint over the areas that you mill. On the molded in stocks you have to re gel coat the areas that you mill to make them look good. You can send that back to mcmillan and have that done after you do the mods to the stock or you can maybe just get a patch kit from mcmillan and apply to the area's that were milled and then sand smooth. I'm am just to picky to leave it without putting a coating back on it. The bolt is a straight angle rather than swep back. This looks kind of funny too. All of that said. It will work in a remmy inlett, but if you care about how your $3000.00 rifle looks, you may want to just get a stock inletted for a surgeon.

Well I called Surgeon just now. They are now saying that the 700 will work but that the Surgeon inlet is now preferred. So I sent an email to MCM to have the inlett changed. Hopefully it will turn out right.

.257, confirm this applies to their new round? I knew McM offered a surgeon inlet on the standard but the new round was supposed to be a full match other than the round rearr on top which requires their base.

i have a new surgeon round action in hand. the cutout in the stock for the ejection port will be slightly off and as said before, the bolt relief will have to be opened up for the bolt to close all the way. no big deal either way unless you intend to match gelcoat on a mcmillan.

chuck

I told them I had the new round action. They said get it inletted for the Surgeon over the 700. They told me diffrently 2 monthes ago. I talked to Stephen today. If the 700 inlet works that is great. I want the one that is going to look the best with the least amount of cutting on my gelcoat.

That's the hole deal in my opinion. I dont see spending a grand for a surgeon and almost that much more for a stock, and not have it right!! I got lucky when i got hooked up with Jon. He is really particular about his work. I was glad that he brought this to my attention because i was under the same pretence that the surgeon would work great in a rem 700 inlet. Lee

Well, guess I'm in the same boat, just switched from a remington to a surgeon action and they just inletted my McM stock on Monday.....dammit. From what McM told me, the only real issue is the bolt handle. I guess all the other modifications involve removing material, which is no biggie for me since the stock is not gel-coated.

QUESTION: how "bad" of a fit is the Surgeon bolt handle with the 700 inlet? Is it hideous or just slightly off? I'm painting the stock, so if it is "close" that'll be no big deal. McMillan said they'd be happy to take the stock off my hands and re-enter the order since they can sell it easily online. Of course, its back to the end of the line with that option
frown.gif

the inlet for the ejection port is about 1/8" short. really not enough to bother with unless it just bothers you. the bolt handle is also a very minor fitting issue. the cutout will have to be deepened and lengthened slightly. i have not done this to mine yet so i dont know exactly what it will take but it is obviously minor. i built my pillars .005 longer than the action resting in the stock. the bolt release is perfectly located and an inlet in this area is not needed. i certainly wouldnt wait another 6 months for these little issues.

chuck

Thanks! I live in Phoenix. So, maybe I'll ask them to fill in the areas improperly cut once the action is properly inlet. They repair a crack before and it looked like new. So, I'm guessing minor additions will be easy to fix.