• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Switch Barrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

Are any of you running switch barrel setups on your surgeon (or other) actions? Which calibers are being used and what is involved in the barrel changing process?

I have a surgeon build underway and I'm wondering if the switch option is worth exploring.

Thanks in advance,
Rath

Re: Surgeon Switch Barrel

I am running a switch barrel / switch bolt: 7WSM, .260.

I pull the barreled action from teh stock, put it in the barrel vice, take off the old barrel, put some anti-seize on the new barrel and thread it onto the action. Put some torque on it to tighten it up, put the new bolt into the reciever, install the barreled action into the stock and I'm done. About 1/2 the time I don't take the scope off the action (you gotta be real careful so as not to smack it).
JeffVN

Yes. I am running a Surgeon 260 Rem, with a 308 Win barrel. The only reason I added a 308 barrel was for 308 Win only matches. I have yet to tie it on, though. To switch the barrel is simple. You remove the action from the stock and place the barrel in a barrel vise. Insert an action wrench in the action, and twist off the barrel, and screw on your other barrel. You need to make sure the head space is correct on the new barrel, by either an index mark on the barrel/action (like mine is) or with a headspace guage. It's easiest when you keep the two calibers with the same head diameter so you can keep the same bolt.

Jeff + Chad, Thanks.

It seems a very simple process indeed...almost too easy, I'm surprised there are not more guys doing it, seems a no brainer. Has me thinking about stocks.

Would it be possible (I can't see why not) that you could remove the barrelled action, change the barrel and drop it into another stock?

Theoretically I could remove my barrelled action from my Mcm A5, screw on a lighter thinner barrel, change bolts if needed and drop it into something like a Manners MCS-T stock. That would be awesome.

Pics of the process would be great.
Rath

Running 2 Tubb rifles and there easy as hell to change right now have 6cm 6 xc 308
I think its a great thing once you do it you see its not a big deal .
Ensure you have the right tools, clamp, action wrech and anti sieze// oh yes Anti sieze
Bill

If theoretically you are going to remove the barrel from the action screw on a lighter thinner barrel and put it in a completly diffent stock. Have you thought about just gettin another action and having two guns,Your only an action and trigger away

7Bat,

I hear you, however when you consider that you could have multiple barrels in different calibers it becomes increasingly appealing to have the ability to run different setups from one action.

Familiarity being one advantage and cost savings another. Given I'm referring to a Surgeon Action it's a significant saving when you look at the Aussie $ at the moment.

Plus I like to fiddle my my rifles and this is just another excuse!

Rath

I'm shooting a Surgeon single shot. I switch between 6.5x47 and .284 win I also have two stocks a Mcmillan MBR and a Manners T4. The only tools I use are a torque wrench, barrel vise, and one of Preston's action wrenches. Very easy to do

Yes, you can switch stocks. But you have to have both stocks bedded to that one action. If you are changing up things this much, I'd look at having two rifles.

Surgeon Switch Barrel - PROBLEMS

I currently have a Surgeon Action, and am doing my homework for the stock etc. It will be in .300 RSAUM with a Kreiger, or one of my own SS.
While I have machining skills for several years, I don't consider myself to be a 'master' machinist yet. I also make numerous gun parts for custom double rifles and BIG BORE pistol conversions, and I am also a barrelsmith (P&W Sine Bar Cut-Rifling machine). I am not a gunsmith, but a gun-parts maker.
It seems that a serious accuracy problem would develop over removing and installing a different caliber barrel just a few times.
As mentioned by another member, you would have to create a "register" or timing mark with each barrel so it would maintain the correct headspace. Even if you used the correct torque each time, the action threads, or the barrel threads will eventually stretch or wear. If you changed barrels and overtorqued it just once it will stretch the threads and change the tension on the threads. Additionally, if you were to change out the barrels in different temperatures the torque would start varying as well. Even the difference in action vs. barrel metals characteristics will create problems. Since the fine Surgeon action is a steel alloy, its female threads are stiffer than the stainless barrel you will inserting into it. The stainless threads will stretch more than the 4130 Allow action will.
The majority of my precision rifles are Gas Guns, AR-15(T), AR-10(T), AR-10(TU) in many calibers. Swapping out different calibers on a lower receiver takes less than a minute with no problems in accuracy. However if I were to constantly be changing the barrel nut with different barrels. accuracy problems would be apparent no matter how much I adhered to the proper torque specs.
Another issue is your scope ZERO. It will have to be adjusted each time, even though it is not being removed from the action. Each barrel has its unique characteristics such as ridgity, whip, tension created when rifled, etc.
If any other machinists here disagree I would like to hear their opinions. Maybe I will learn something new.
My 2cents is to just have 2 different rifles.

Re: Surgeon Switch Barrel - PROBLEMS

I just got my Surgeon back from GAP with two .260 Barrels and a .308 for .308 only matches. Just ordered a barrel vise and a action wrench from Surgeon. Havent tried switching the barrels, but it looks like a no-brainer.

Re: Surgeon Switch Barrel - PROBLEMS

WARDOG brings up some good points. It's not like changing uppers, that's for sure. If you want to do it it's possible and it's not that hard.

Personally, I am in the midst of building a switch barrel between 204 Ruger and 6-223. The majority of the shooting will be done with the 6-223 when it's finished, 204 is lots of fun to shoot, but it's barrel burning abilities keep me from pumping rounds downrange with it.

You will end up having to adjust the zero each time, but this isn't hard necessarily if the scope you have is quality. For a Surgeon actioned rifle it sounds like you should be putting quality glass on it anyway.

Make sure you have a good dope for both calibers and you should be fine in that regard.

If you plan on doing this at the range you probably should carry a set of go/nogo gauges with you and invest in them either way. They're worth the money rather than fiddling around with a scrap of paper and a dummy round each time.