• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Tactical knob on 700 handle

GrantA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Thomasville, GA USA
you guys know the basics, I cut the factory knob into a 5/16 square with a die grinder and cutoff wheel, shaped it round with a bench grinder (ended up right at .300, .311 gave me hell getting the die going).
I'll take a moment to say if you're doing this and don't have real cutting fluid GET SOME before you start. I couldn't find mine (hadn't used it since moving a year ago) so tried to cheat with 3-in-1 oil, that was NOT happening. I like RotaMagic from the local welding supply shop, rapidtap works great too.
Now, the Surgeon knobs as you probably know are much longer than the typical rem knobs and smaller in diameter. I could run the threads all the way up to where the handle bends I think and still not have issues hitting my finger, so I could have just chopped off the factory knob completely and threaded the handle itself BUT the handle is not thick enough to cut 5/16 threads. I chose to go the "normal" route so I'd have a threaded guide to run threads further up the handle if needed. Plus I can always make it a bit shorter, hard to make it longer. I cut just shy of 1" of threads onto the handle (Surgeon knob has 1.1" of threads, I ran the die to .925ish)
Once I decide on my finished length I'll blend the joint to purdy it up. I'm happy with the straightness of it, I have seen a few garage jobs that are grossly crooked and would not be happy with that, no offense there it just would bug me.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice job! I've got a DEFIANCE action on the way in hoppefully 3-4 weeks.....I bought a Surgeon knob as I prefer the feel and ergonomics over others I tried.

I'm wondering HOW well the Defiance folks are going to take it when I ask them to NOT install their knob .....as I will add the Surgeon? LOL.

FN in MT

shit, brother, looks damn good. Paul at Pro Precision completed the exact same job on my 5R with the same Surgeon knob. Although it made the handle a bit longer, it provided a nice amount of leverage when needing to run the bolt, so I ended up liking it that long. Paul also bead blasted the actual knob as the finish on the 5R's handle was not as "shiny" as the Surgeon knob. He knocked it out of the park too.

Thanks guys, it's very comfy right where it is to open the bolt, I'll think long and hard before I shorten it any more.
I'll also say my soft vise jaws came in very handy (Bessey brand pads from Lowes) since they have some reliefs in them, 1 vertical and 1 one @ 45deg. They helped get a good hold on the bolt.
As for the finish, this action is destined for Scout Supply Co and it'll be cerakoted & microslicked soon enough. I'll bet the bead blasted knob looks right at home on a 5R though!