• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Surgeon XL bottom metal fit

Disasterpath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2008
Ca
Hey Guys, just picked up my Surgeon XL and bottom metal from my FFL and came home and tried dropping the bottom metal into the stock but its got some issues. The bottom metal is the standard Surgeon bottom metal for the Surgeon XL and the stock is a McMillan A5 and for some reason, it has some major fittment issues. Before I get jiggy on my mill I figured I would ask if any one else has had any issues with the Surgeon XL bottom metal fitting into a McMillan inletted stock. It appears that the entire magazine recess area need to move about 1/8 inch forward and the corners on the stock appear to be inletted to a larger radius than the bottom metals corners. Any input here? I will try to take a pic of what I am talking about if necessary.

Re: Surgeon XL bottom metal fit

Sounds like your stock isn't cut for the XL bottom metal but for the standard Surgeon bottom metal.

Is the footprint still relatively the same size on the standard bottom metal? One sec, let me take a picture and post it.

The action drops in perfectly. I measured the witdh of the bottom metal and the width of the inlet and the inlet is 0.045" wider than the metal so there is at least 0.020" gap on each side if it did drop in. The square magazine recess that goes up into the stock is a snug fit but that doesnt appear to be the issue. It appears that the whole things needs to be able to slide back about 0.125" for the holes to line up.

I was very specific when I ordered it to have the correct bottom metal intel for the XL. Im sure I can make it work but I will have to do some milling and devcon work and thats just not ideal. Here is a pic of the specs taped to the side of the stock.
IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

Surgeon changed the detach bottom metal for the XL a few months ago. They have two version, the new which you have and the older version which is a little smaller. You can tell the new version by the mag support bosses that hang down, which is just like the standard DBM they make for the 591 actions. It will need to be opended up just a little. Should be a quick fix. Thanks

Rats, are the outer dimensions of the inlet the same? In other words, did surgeon make the new version skinnier allowing that gap on the sides?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disasterpath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rats, are the outer dimensions of the inlet the same? In other words, did surgeon make the new version skinnier allowing that gap on the sides? </div></div>Not sure off the top of my head, but we did not have to make much of a change to the program to make them fit. Thanks

I removed about 1/8" of material behind the magazine well extension and moved the rear radiuses back the same as well and everything fits perfectly now except for a small gap near the front of the bottom metal since the whole unit moved rearwards a little. I will just fill it with devcon when I bed the bottom metal and it wont even be noticeable. Thank you Mr. Manners for your input, it was very helpful.