• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon XL or 1086 for a 300 Win Mag GAP Build

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2008
Longmont, Colorado
Looking to piece together parts to send to George later this year for a 300 Win Mag. I spoke with someone wt Surgeon, about the different options with actions. They pointed out that I could get either the XL with the DBM for around $1770, or the 1086 and add the DBM for around the same price.

Any advantages to going with the XL? I figured that if one day I wanted to rechamber into a 338 Lapua, I would just need to buy a new bolt. Besides this, anything you all can think of? The weight difference is around 3/4 of a pound according to Surgeon.

Thanks!

Re: Surgeon XL or 1086 for a 300 Win Mag GAP Build

IIRC the 1086 is a Rem long action footprint action, so it will drop into any Rem LA stock (with minor mods), the XL will not. I would go with the 1086 myself, easier to find a stock for it. Quality is going to be the same on both, so nothing to worry about there.

If you are going to order a custom stock, then it really doesnt matter.

Thanks for the reply. The action is going to sit in a McM A4 or A5, so the stock should be GTG.

Another difference is the barrel breech diameter needs to be 1.350" with the XL. Thats an extra $75 from Bartlein.

Trying to decide if that is $75 well spent.

You dont need 1.350" if you are not building a 338 Lapua, 1.250" will work just fine.

The only complaint I have concerning my S-XL is the weight,other than that I think it's the most feature full action out there.As long as you aren't going to be hiking around with it the extra weight turns out to be a benefit for helping to reduce recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You dont need 1.350" if you are not building a 338 Lapua, 1.250" will work just fine. </div></div>

On the Surgeon site, it says: "NOTE:
Surgeon recommends a minimum barrel breech diameter of 1.350 in. for good shoulder contact and rigidity."

This is for the XL action. I'm not saying you are wrong, but only what I read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only complaint I have concerning my S-XL is the weight,other than that I think it's the most feature full action out there.As long as you aren't going to be hiking around with it the extra weight turns out to be a benefit for helping to reduce recoil. </div></div>

Thanks, another question I need to answer is weather I will be moving around much and hunting at all with this. I don't have an issue with hauling around an 18 lb rifle while hunting, but it matters when taking the game out of the field to the truck.

I most likely wont be doing a lot of hunting with it, if at all.

This is a quote from the Rock Creek barrel group buy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This group buy will be for calibers .224 thru .338, any contour except AR style contours, we will not be including those in this Group Buy. Also we WILL NOT be doing any .30 cal tight bores in this Group Buy. I will leave this open until March 19th. I'm hoping to have this Group Buy done by May, we have hired 2 more full time guys and have our CNC contour lathe up and running. Payments can be made by credit card, check or money order. I will be asking for payments as soon as the buy closes everyone will need to call in with payment info then.

Pricing
$275.00 for a blank up to 27" $10 per inch over 27"
<span style="font-weight: bold">$350.00 for a 1.350 breach diameter blank up to 30" You only need to order this size steel if using the big Surgeon XL or Stiller Tac 338 actions for the .338 Lapuas.</span>
$10 per inch over 30" blank.

Carbon Barrels $750 for a 27" blank $10 per inch over 27" the only contour will be the M-24 contour. These will be wrapped by ABS.

Fluting is $110 per barrel

All barrels are Stainless Steel

Shipping will be $15 for 1 barrel $20 for 2 $25 for 3 or more.

Now here is the important part all orders and questions should be sent to this email address [email protected]

Please DO NOT PM me I want to keep this separate from my PM's
Please include Sniper's Hide name, real name, address and telephone # along with barrel order.

Thanks, Paul

</div></div>

But again, the choice is yours, I would go with the 1086 action, that is if you have no intention of ever converting your rifle to a 338 Lapua.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apollo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You dont need 1.350" if you are not building a 338 Lapua, 1.250" will work just fine. </div></div>

On the Surgeon site, it says: "NOTE:
Surgeon recommends a minimum barrel breech diameter of 1.350 in. for good shoulder contact and rigidity."

This is for the XL action. I'm not saying you are wrong, but only what I read.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only complaint I have concerning my S-XL is the weight,other than that I think it's the most feature full action out there.As long as you aren't going to be hiking around with it the extra weight turns out to be a benefit for helping to reduce recoil. </div></div>

Thanks, another question I need to answer is weather I will be moving around much and hunting at all with this. I don't have an issue with hauling around an 18 lb rifle while hunting, but it matters when taking the game out of the field to the truck.

I most likely wont be doing a lot of hunting with it, if at all.
</div></div>

I think what Jay meant was that for a 300WM you only needed 1.250"
For the XL action you would need the 1.350"
but I could be wrong. It has happened before.

After reading some more I believe you are correct. Anything in the XL needs the 1.350", but not all 300WM's need it.

Now to decide if I want to be prectical with a 300 or stupid and get the 338. I don't know why I do this shit to myself...but it's pretty fun.

I have a Brand new 1581XL bottom metal and .338 AI Mag I'd sell you if you just want to get the action. If your interested send me a PM.

If your sticking purely with the 300WM I'd get the 1086, if you have thoughts for a build down the road in a larger caliber get the 1581XL
wink.gif