• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon XL rifle build

flims

Rifletalks.com
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2008
UK
www.rifletalks.com
Following much deliberation between a custom and the Steyr 08, I went with a custom. Steyr could not supply a rifle with a 30 inch barrel so it wouldn't suffice my needs.

Eventually I setup my FClass rifle with a tactical feel
Surgeon XL - 308win
Barrel 30inch 1.11
Jewel trigger -very light indeed
Manners stock with Choate cheekpiece
S&B 5-25, P4F illum. Metric
Third eye tac rings,
AI Mag +harris

396755974.jpg

Rifle built by Osprey Rifles - UK

I initially wanted to try the heavy ones 185s+ over a good dose of N550. my smith however suggested i try the 155.5 over a hefty dose of N540. I had weight sorted the Lapua brass in batches of 0.3 grains, neckturned the necks by 0.0005 to 0.015 just to make them concentric and primed with Federal GM210. Bullets seated with K&M arbor press and wilson dies. I like the fact that you can alter seating depth on the range, quick, easy and precise.

Taking his suggestion I measured the freebore of the rifle till the berger touched the lands. this measured 2.280. I setup to seat them 0.010 off the lands. I worked up loads in 0.5grn increments seeking to find the pressure limit. Started at 45.5 and loaded 3 rounds, 1 round at 46, another at 46.5 (seen at the top) and 3 at 47. the rifle seemed to shoot all of these in the same spot so I figured the 47grain load should be tested at 600yds. Loaded 6 of these and had a go. The chrono marked 18ft/s spread, not the smallest but its not a bad load.

first group out of this rifle at 100yds - encouraging 45.5grn
396756502.jpg

at the top 2 shots at 46 and 46.5, below are the 3 shots at 47
396756501.jpg

At this point I noticed no signs of pressure. The velocities quickload predicted were spot on 2911ft/s for 47grains of N540. this group at 600 measured 4.8inches in vertical. Not happy with this much vertical
396756232.jpg

Since this match the QL data, I had a go with 47.8 which would give me 2950. these were tried at 600 right away.
396756233.jpg

with a tad over 2.7 inches of vertical at 600 and a weekend of shooting approaching, I loaded 100 rounds. Looking back at my score cards, this load held an average of 3inches of vertical at 600 over 20 shots. I will play with the seating depth hopefully reducing vertical to 2 inches or thereabouts. All brass was sized with Forster FL sizing die in a portable harrel press, Sinclair mandrel used to expand the necks to 0.3065 giving ideal neck tension.

Would I change anything? not really, the Schmidt is abit on the heavy side compared to March or the sort but I love S&Bs, theyre durable and moreover I like the looks.

Having looked at a 12-50x56 with Sport fine reticle, I have started pondering on actually changing mine for it. I am half sure that with such high mag, my hold on target can be more precise to extract the full potential of the rifle. moreover since I click my windage, the reticle is not of much use. when the wind was gusting, i only held minor amounts using the target as reference. I reckon when you are trying to squeeze the accuracy potential of your rifle, everything counts.

Re: Surgeon XL rifle build

Interesting I didnt know you can run a 308 with a surgeon XL action. Is there a benifit to this?

I can not speak for him but you can build anything you want on an XL. He probably did it for the rigidity of the action when using a 30 inch barrel. The catch is your barrel really needs to be a 1.35" at the breech. I have a 7wsm in an xl and it shoots really well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not speak for him but you can build anything you want on an XL. He probably did it for the rigidity of the action when using a 30 inch barrel. The catch is your barrel really needs to be a 1.35" at the breech. I have a 7wsm in an xl and it shoots really well. </div></div>

Interesting, thanks for the info I learn something new everyday
grin.gif

I am glad to see another shooter using the XL for a .308! I assume you are using the Surgeon DBM and the 300 WM mags correct? Also, how how is it feeding the .308? Any issues so far?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not speak for him but you can build anything you want on an XL. He probably did it for the rigidity of the action when using a 30 inch barrel. The catch is your barrel really needs to be a 1.35" at the breech. I have a 7wsm in an xl and it shoots really well. </div></div> And the XL also has 30 MOA as opposed to 20 MOA with the M591. That and maybe the extra length for feeding with a mag and seating your bullets where they want to be. I'm just guessing. How's the area seven bat? I aint been home in a while. RIver's rising.

I love those Surgeon XL's! Nice build BTW.Only problem is...it reminds me of those 7 foot tall dudes walking down the street holding hands with a 4 foot 8" chick
laugh.gif

some of the reasons behind my choice were the integral angled base, integral recoil lug a that it can be used for the larger 300/338 based calibers at a later stage besides they were going for a good price when I got this.

I thought 2.7inch vertical was good at 600 but some of those F Class guys have loads approaching 1.5 inches of vertical at 600. While at the butts marking targets, I noticed some of the top shooters virtually maintained the same spot in terms of vertical spread, quite impressive. they could technically choose to shoot a group in the throat area and another group in the nose had it been a metal silhouette.

What is your take on the 12-50x56 P4F - FFP- 0.025mrads? according to their diagram the crosshair is 0.02Mrad thick or about 1.8cm at 914m (1000yds)

I received the reticle diagrams from S&B. the FFP at
396793622.jpg

396793623.jpg

396793624.jpg

In terms of F Class accuracy, I think 40x is usable to aid in precise hold. My leupy spotter at 40x is very clear, would be nice to see the same mag on the optic.