• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surplus CBC/Magtech 7.62 Plinking Ammo? .308 vs 7.62

usmcmk12

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2013
California
I ordered some cheap Magtech bulk ammo (7.62 147gr) for my Mega Maten with a Lilja barrel. I figured I would use it for some unsupported shooting practice (kneeling, prone with sling, etc.). I usually shoot SWA .308 175 SMKs out of the gun and it functions flawlessly. When I tried the bulk 7.62 I got almost every jam/malfunction in the book minus a stove pipe. Has anyone else had this problem? I read a great (I think) article on .308 vs 7.62 and the cases have the same dimensions, just different wall thicknesses so I thought there would be no problem (see attached link). I should note that I had to give the system more gas with the adjustable gas block but this did not help. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with their larger caliber AR systems and bulk ammo?

.308 Winchester vs. 7.62x51mm NATO

It's the ammo. That magtech crap wouldn't run my 308 either. No probs with prvi fmj ammo though, that ran perfectly.

My MWS eats it just fine. Never had a problem with it. Check headspace.