• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing surprise DBM

OFIS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA
    i got a PSS barreled action off the sale section, and was not told it was inletted for DBM instead of floorplate...

but, i was thinking i might make lemonade with the situation and pick up a HS mag system. and no, i dont want to use badger as i have a PSS stock and dont want to have it out for weeks getting fitted, and was not seeking a bomb-proof DBM system, just a functional one.

what id like to know is if this will work with an action thats made for the remington box (which im assuming this is since its factory) or if im s.o.l. ?

i can post pictures if necessary.

Re: surprise DBM

wow didn't know they made a detach version in the PSS series.

if there is just a special follower i can get instead for less $...even better.

You said you got a barreled action... what's inletted? You mean the stock is inletted for a DBM right?
    How do you know this? Because the factory floorplate will not fit? What did the guy sell with it? Did it come in pieces?

The action shouldn't require any work, so no worries there.

As for the stock, I don't get it.... If it's not inletted larger yet, then use a factory bottom metal or an HS DBM. If it is inletted, use whatever it's inletted for.

HS DBMs (I think) are the same size as factory. I don't know for sure, only worked with Badger M5s

Hope this helps. I don't really understand your problem

Remington DBM receivers are cut a little different, HateCA knows the details, I recommend the Badger system over the HSP for the following reasons, the HSP mags suck and are very hard to find and cost way more than AICS mags, GAP will inlet your stock for around 60 bucks plus shipping, its worth it

this rig was supposed to be a backup while i had my action sent away being re-barreled. i just wanted to have something bolted together to not miss out on shooting for the few seasons that are enjoyable to be outside, dont get me wrong id love to give business to GAP, but sending away the rifle for a few months thats supposed to take the place of the rifle im sending away for a few months wasnt what i had in mind.

i might just cut a single shot follower out of sheet metal.

DBM on the left, floorplate reciever on the right, shitty picture i know, but you can see where the one on the left has no flares to catch the follower.

SS follower made, problem solved.

all you noobs out there piecing together 700s, take heed. its all fun and games until you get in over your head and buy something you dont know enough about.

im expecting williams bottom metal any day in the mail, hence reluctancy to dive into another bottom metal purchase, no offense to the badger crowd, im aware they are top notch, its just that ive yet needed to reload my rifle that fast yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow didn't know they made a detach version in the PSS series. </div></div>

Yup, I owned one in .300WM. It was my first "real" bolt gun.

Yes it will work i have put the Hs dbm on 2 of my rifles it fits perfect in my pss stock but i had to remove a very small ammount from the material under the aluminum block to fit the spring mechanism to release the magazine it was not a big aleration at all.

Wait so Remington puts out a receiver specifically for DBMs? How much more room do you have for loaded round OAL? Can a BDL receiver need work if I want to use a Badger M5 with a .243win? I've been wanting to switch when I re-barrel to shoot the 110s or 115s so I can load them out longer.
    Is just that lip milled out that the BDL mag box sits on?

Wow,
    I didn't realize that they made a factory DBM setup either, or that they removed the rails/flares....

As to your immediate problem, you don't need a mag, follower, or anything else to use it. Just bolt it in the stock as is and single load the rounds. You may need to put your fingers in from the bottom to prevent the bullet from falling out while you close the bolt, but that's no biggie.

I would agree; go with the Badger DBM M5. It's a great system. But you can do this after your other action comes back rebarreled. Use the one you have now with confidence.

Remington has only a few factory DM's in their catalog. At one time Remington had a PSS model that was offered in the factory DM version. The mag system and bottom metal was not the best.

The factory DM receiver is different then a BDL receiver, as well as the stock. Once a factory DM always a factory DM (or aftermarket DM). You can't convert a factory DM to a BDL the receiver has had the feed rails removed to allow the factory mag to work. The mag is a double stack and acts as the feed rails like any other mag.

Hey Randy, a question for your expertise. Will a Badger with an AW mag fit in a factory Rem BDM without additional modification to the action?

Enquiring minds... DC.

Yes, it will work with a factory remington DBM action, as its the feed rails that need milling down to let the mag fit in.

No to an AW mag working/fitting in the remington factory DBM, different size,locking mech, etc.

JJ

Seekins is a good system.

SeekinsDBM.jpg