• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suunto X10

Whiskey Tango

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2008
Georgia
www.richardking.pro
I'm looking into getting one of these watches and I'm wondering if anyone here has personal experience using one. I've googled, youtubed, etc and I haven't found much in the way of a real world review. Suunto has a pretty neat interactive demo but that's not what I'm looking for.

FWIW, my use will be pretty simple. Push the button for GPS mode to record where I traveled in the woods for a specific time (ie- k-9 track). Take the watch back and retrieve data. Then print out data for analyzation of the track taken vs. perp location.

I've looked at the X9i but it is apparent that the GPS fails in comparison to the X10.

Thoughts?

Re: Suunto X10

Ive heard good and bad but mostly good. The one thing about them is they are massive on your wrist. At least IMO

they're great until the batteries crap out.
Get a dedicated watch, a decent GPS a reliable compass-you may not be happier but at least the odds are high that all three wont take a crap at the same time.
Depending on one device for all three is asking for trouble.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDXGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're great until the batteries crap out.
Get a dedicated watch, a decent GPS a reliable compass-you may not be happier but at least the odds are high that all three wont take a crap at the same time.
Depending on one device for all three is asking for trouble. </div></div>

What he said....

The batteries eventually turn to shit, and you will begin to hate the watch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dhutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDXGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">they're great until the batteries crap out.
</div></div>

What he said....

The batteries eventually turn to shit, and you will begin to hate the watch. </div></div>

Yep! Experience is the best teacher.

I know the X9 had horrible problems with the battery, is the X10 in the same boat?

Someone gave me an X9 yesterday so I'm going to give it a try. One thing is for sure, the watch is huge!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiskey Tango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the X9 had horrible problems with the battery, is the X10 in the same boat?

Someone gave me an X9 yesterday so I'm going to give it a try. One thing is for sure, the watch is huge!</div></div>

They are a good tool, and yes they are a big watch. It's not something I used for everyday wear, but for when we into the field and on deployment. The X9 and X10 both have rechargable batteries and they both turn to crap after so many charges. IMHO it isnt worth the money to buy a new one, for the length of time that the batteries last. Like stated....buy a decent watch, compass, and GPS unit. You'll be much happier in the long run.