• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SVDs questions?

cindl

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
First of all I am new to this forum and I know there is a big difference between the various cheaper and less accurate copies around the world but I have been mesmerized by the Russian SVDs especially the smaller version one with the folding stock, I have read it is for paratroopers but I dont know.

My question is where could I find a real one and how much would one cost? Also I expect it to be less accurate than the standard SVD and what kind of groups and range can the smaller SVDs obtain?
And what are your opinions/experiences with the pso-1 scope?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Izhmash_SVDS_Sniper_Rifle.jpg[/img]

any info would be great, thanks.

Re: SVDs questions?

what is your fascination with the SVD when their are far more capable rifles out there? a quick google search yielded svds can go anywhere from 3K+ and are no longer imported into the US.

Maybe they are super accurate? While I was standing in a local gun shop I overheard a kid telling his dad, " I want a dragunov, its the most accurate sniper rifle in the middle east" Perhaps hes right.

Even most of the Middle East Country's Forces are smart enough to go to Europe for the majority of their precision rifles. I see a lot of TRG's and Accuracy International rifles with the services.

Even when the SVD was in its "heyday" it was a 2 MOA rifle. I shot a lot of those at Soviet weapons fun days. Not very impressive.

I use to want 1 of these for EVER. I also kick myself for not pickup 1 the knock off versions (PSL??) before Obama took office cause u could find them everywhere for $100.

but as far as accuracy, they are more like any "battle rifle" *think hk g3, FN FAL* they r prob 4-5 MOA rifles. Im sure with tweaking and maybe custom loads, u could shrink it down. but out of the box, 4-5 is where it will be. for the cost of them now, save your $ for something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but out of the box</div></div>

Depends out of which box and with what ammo...

Factory stuff with proper sniper ammo will do 1-1.5moa. Problem is that stuff being sold on our markets is second hand with dubious history. But as with everything Russian precision is a word which must be used sparingly
smile.gif

The biggest down fall to the SVD/PSL is the mount and optic. I have 2 PSLs and I replaced the scope/mount with a 1913 rail mount that has adjusable side mount for tension and then put on a MK4 2.5-8 Leupold with aluminum rings and got just over MOA accuracy with the system using 174 ammo

$3k thats a lot of money for a rifle that can't shoot much better than my AR. I just love the look of them but I want something that Is accurate so I guess I will start looking at other options. thanks for the replies and making up my mind to cross it off the list.

I have a preban Chinese copy of the SVD called the NDM-86 in .308. It's a very accurate rifle and a true pleasure to shoot. Being in .308 rather than 7.62X54r side steps the crappy ammo issue.

There is a company stateside who is trying to make their own version of the SVD. Currently they have the ability to make all the parts minus the stocks and barrel so they are planning on using imported Russian SVD stocks and heavier target barrels that are homegrown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZIROC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use to want 1 of these for EVER. I also kick myself for not pickup 1 the knock off versions (PSL??) before Obama took office cause u could find them everywhere for $100.

but as far as accuracy, they are more like any "battle rifle" *think hk g3, FN FAL* they r prob 4-5 MOA rifles. Im sure with tweaking and maybe custom loads, u could shrink it down. but out of the box, 4-5 is where it will be. for the cost of them now, save your $ for something else. </div></div>perhaps for my happy ignorance,I'm never been attracted from something coming from russia_ never tried a HK G3,but,for sure,I can guarantee that a sound FAL is NOT a 4-5 moa rifle_ The problem,today, is find it out-of-his-box, and not out-of-someone-other-crate_ IF someone has the patience to understand how it's engineered,machined,and how really shoot_(if)_ respects

Not a big Russian rifles guy. I'd like to see some of their really new stuff, but I don't expect it'll ever make it here, especially the AN-94.

But I, too, think the SVD is a sexy rifle! I'd like to have one because I like SDM rifles, and the SVD is more an SDM weapon than a real sniper rifle, considering how it was used, who it was issued to, and how accurate it was. But they are sooooo damn expensive. You can get a PSL, but that thing is nothing more than a long AK that fires the longer round. SVD is a different rifle altogether. I could kick myself for not getting a few in the late '80s... I thought they were expensive then! The Tiger btw, what they called the short one, sold for pretty cheap as I recall. $600+? I don't think it caught on the way they thought, it wasn't as sexy as the full length SVD (I don't think). Yeah, if they weren't so expensive, I'd have one just for giggles.

If you want it for that, then start saving up. But if you want a good accurate rifle, $3000 can get you a damn fine rifle with a fine scope to go on it too.

They used to be advertised in Shotgun News. Not so sure now. They are kind of rare, but I'd keep an eye out in Gunbroker, maybe Guns America, that kind of thing. There may not be one on it today, or even within a week, but one day you may go on there to find three at once. Kind of weird like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azakms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a preban Chinese copy of the SVD called the NDM-86 in .308. It's a very accurate rifle and a true pleasure to shoot. Being in .308 rather than 7.62X54r side steps the crappy ammo issue. </div></div>

+1 The 308 NDM 86 I own is more accurate than my 7.62X54R NDM 86 version even when shooting 7N1 ammo. Just be warned the 7.62X54R version should only be shot with steel cased ammo and the 308 version with NATO spec ammo not with not soft primer commercial ammo.

i can't say that i have owned an actual Svd, but I did own 2 Romak III rifles. I had Troy from Inrangec2 build one from a parts kit. and it came out perfect.

Both shot about 2 inch groups at 100. So I ended up trading them both in and got a 1911

the paratrooper made a boy cry at the range because it was so loud...

they were awesome at first, but the lack of accuracy was what finally got me to get rid of them

I still have the psop scope, they are cheaply made and the reticules are not make for target shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a company stateside who is trying to make their own version of the SVD. Currently they have the ability to make all the parts minus the stocks and barrel so they are planning on using imported Russian SVD stocks and heavier target barrels that are homegrown. </div></div>

What company is that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZIROC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also kick myself for not pickup 1 the knock off versions (PSL??) before Obama took office cause u could find them everywhere for $100.
</div></div>

Where did you ever see PSLs for $100??? And $1000 doesn't make sense either, since they're considerably cheaper than that this election cycle.

Centerfire Systems' last import batch was like 699.

This last winter shooting, I met a guy who owned a REAL Dragunov, he said it was neat but no where near what people think it is in terms of accuracy. He said a rough, old, lame, crappy Springfield M14 would shoot better than this thing did, clean, well taken care of.

If you HAVE to have this type of rifle, buy two rifles, the VEPR in 7.62x54r and the PSL. I have both, they are fine for what they are, but they are FAR from accurate bench type rifles. Would I like one shooting at me? No, hell no. They hit man size targets at 600 yards with great regularity, even warm, just if you took one out to shoot varmints you would go broke trying ot hit them at 200~400 yards.

They were a designated marksman type suppression role, not precision, what our "allied" forces typically do. The way it was explained to me, a ruskie with this weapon, would shoot, take cover for 10~15 minutes, move, shoot again, take cover, move, shoot again. While doing this, the people he/she was shooting at, would be taking cover while his/her forces moved in with the AK.

Now, if you have 4,000$ burning a hole in your pocket and you have to have one? I understand that, I really do. But most of the reason they are what they are in price is just cause of supply and demand, no supply and if 100 people want it? Well, they go up in price 10x what they should be.

The stupidest, dumbest, moronic thing in the world, is folks in New Zealand can purchase this, I wouldn't be shocked if Canadians can too. Thanks Reagan, dunno what he was thinking when he did that executive order (and I love Reagan), but it sure has been awful for those of us who love guns from over seas.

Too much money for too mediocre a shooter. I can buy a quarter dozen Stag model 6's for less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What company is that? </div></div>

They're called black horse somethingrather I think. There is talk on AKFiles about them.

The guy makes custom stocks for AK pattern rifles, rebarrels them, does magazine mods, duplicate SVD stocks/handguards/sights/parts etc.

He has all the CNC layouts to make dragunov parts minus the barrel. Last I heard his current plan is to make one with a slightly heavier than standard domestically produced barrel and talking about prototyping the end of this year.

However, IIRC he also wanted to make his own Saiga 12 and that never happened either for some reason or other. So could just be a gun nerd pipe dream.

edit:

Here, reading material on the subject:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There aren't too many things we can't make when it comes to metal or composites. As rumored, we are in the middle of reverse engineering the SVD and have plans to introduce it later this year as the "BHA 54", but it is way too soon to be talking about price. We're using an SVDS to do all our 3-D modeling and the gun we plan to introduce will be an exact knock off of an SVD, where even the screws are interchangeable with the original Russian Dragunov. The only change we are making is the barrel, which on the SVDS has a larger diameter. Ours will have no taper past the front gas block, giving it a bull barrel with zero whip.

The CNC machine center you see our SVD front sight being made in has a carrousel with 30 different cutting tools, and as it finishes one operation it robotically puts the tool back in the carrousel and grabs another one for the next operation and continues machining. Each of the CNC machine centers in the shop have specific uses for different applications. We also use manual process, that include knee mills and hand operated lathes. You can see Tim at the lathe in the following pictures putting the treads on the barrel for our Vepr conversion. The manufacturing assets we have at our disposal for this venture includes both our armor production facilities and Black Horse Arsenal's. You will see information about our sister company, "Confederated Armor System, Inc.", on our website in the "About Us" section. There is additional information about the armor we produce posted at http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=43 and http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=44.

If you go to http://blackhorsearsenal.gostorego.com/ you'll enter through the back door of our new site, which is up and running but can't process orders yet, or be seen by the general public at our existing URL. There are animations that don't function in "Internet Explorer" and it is best viewed with "Firefox" or "Chrome". I WANT TO REPEAT, THIS SITE CANNOT PROCESS ORDERS YET!!! We hired Cody Hulett from Traverse City, Michigan in May who started out as a customer when he bought an expandable PSL stock. Cody understands the demographic profile of our audience as he is a DMR enthusiast himself. He has come to work for us to manage our website and has taken it far beyond the limits, and then some of what everyone else told us wasn't possible. You'll be hearing from him a lot as he is also doing our monthly news letter.

We've not really given Cody a title, as he falls into a Product Manager, Marketing Manager, Sales Manager, IT Manager, Web Master and Can Do Man. I'm sure I've missed some talents so we've left the title on his business card up to him to be whatever suites his ego, sense of responsibility and abilities. He has turned the site into what it is today, with his expertise in both programming and graphics. He will be the one to inform you when the site goes live and that you can place orders. His email address is [email protected].

The "Black Horse" section of the new site has probably had the least amount of work done to it and this is the area we are concentrating on the most right now. There is going to be a lot of "How To" and "DIY" instructions and a complete "Technical Section" that gives step by step instructions with videos on things like assembling a PSL kit, threading a barrel, etc. All the links like "Ammo / Bullets", and "Firearms" will be fully stocked and operational when we flip the switch. We are posting this before it goes live so you can tell us what changes in product offerings you'd like to see, or eliminate. One thing that isn't showing yet is an SVD forearm conversion, but we will have it.

We are using the Vepr as the prop for our new SVD front sight and flash hider "How Too" instructions, and I've posted some of the images below without the written part. We've literally got 1,000s of pictures from this build so we are taking advantage of some of them for these purposes. This build http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=23 with these instructions http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=34 is going into our technical section, where this entire project from start to finish is being documented with detailed pictures and instructions.

The e-commerce side of our business is now under a different corporate entity and location, which is BHA, Inc., dba Black Horse Arsenal. Our other corporation remains as Confederated Arms, Inc., dba Black Horse Arsenal, which has been focused on mass assembly of firearms as seen in the "About Us" section of our website. BHA is going to also be building weapons, but it will be on a very limited scale, focusing on high end Kalashnikov sniper rifles and doing custom work for customers. In our website's "How To", there is a section on doing an SVD mag conversion to the Vepr if somebody doesn't want us to do it for them.

Prior to the site going live we can process orders on stocks and some of the other items by phone at 541 369-2255. Our new address for BHA is PO Box 173, Halsey, OR 97348.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Too much money for too mediocre a shooter. I can buy a quarter dozen Stag model 6's for less. </div></div>

I've shot a few they range from sub moa with handloads to about 2moa. Right on par or better than an M1A.

It's really too bad they aren't imported any more as they are very interesting rifles and definitely worth owning/shooting if you are into 'battle rifles' and the like.

As I previously posted I own both the 308 and 7.62X54R version of the NDM-86 and have shot the Russiaan SVD extensively. The Chinese version in 7.62X54R is identical to the Russian SVD as far as a side by side inspection willshow. Both shoot about the same 100 yard groups so I bought the NDM 86 rather the the Russian version. But neither of them will shoot as well as my Devine TX M1a national match. I haven't shot my NDM's in a number of years but they are nice to look at.

They are pieces of crap, even the real ones. ALOT better could be had for less money.

Good grief, for what the REAL ones cost, buy a GAP 10 O_O

So in short to answer the OP's question.

Yes, you can get one.
Real ones cost around $3000, if not more for the SVDS.
Pre-Ban knockoffs are usually worse and way overpriced.
They will only shoot 2MOA on a really good day with handloads, but expect worse.
You can buy a far more accurate AR for alot less.

If you're insistent on getting one for looks or because you're into the SVD, then go for it; guns are meant to be fun, so have fun shooting what you want to shoot. There's people on this board paying big money for rifles for things like original M1D's when any AR pattern rifle will shoot far better for far less, but they still *want* that M1D probably for the same reasons you want that SVD.

I'm after an FR F2, yeah there's thousands of better rifles for less money, but the fact is that's the gun i *want*. Go for it mate, but you've been warned not to be disappointed when the thing doesn't shoot as straight as you though it would...

I agree that the SVD's are very interesting rifles. When one recognises that the Russian and American definitions of Sniper Rifles are very different, one will also recognize that they both perform to standards, but they are different standards.

As collector rifles, they are priced as the market will bear.

As shooters, they are way overpriced.

If all you want is a semi that shoots well, there plenty of other rifles that shoot better and cost less.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildBill3/75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are pieces of crap, even the real ones. ALOT better could be had for less money. </div></div>

I don't know they are pieces of crap but I agree there are a lot of rifles that shoot better for less $$$. To me they are more of a collector's rifle than a shooter. I collect as much as I shoot. That's why I got mine. Not for target shooting.

I have a .308 NDM-86 and a customized Russian Molot Super Vepr in .308. Both rifles are very accurate and a joy to shoot. Here's a few pictures of both of them.
Both of these rifles (if proper ammo is used) are capable of very respectable accuracy. To compare the NDM-86/SVD to a Romanian PSL or say that a worn out M14 heap is more accurate is silly to me.

SuperVeprMuzzlex1small.jpg

SuperVeprMuzzlex3small.jpg

SuperVeprx3.jpg

ChineseNDM86x3.jpg

ChineseNDM86x2.jpg

I wonder how well a real SVD would shoot with a higher power scope rather than the standard 4X military scope? Might try using my Kalinka 8X on it.

The real ones are definitely not worth the money. I have no idea what a "modified" or "modernized" SVD can do. I can tell you that I would not want to take an original into battle unless I had no other choice.

Turkey27.jpg

This was the first time I got to shoot a real one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how well a real SVD would shoot with a higher power scope rather than the standard 4X military scope? Might try using my Kalinka 8X on it. </div></div>

The SVD I played with circa 94-95, shooting issued Russian ammo, was right at MOA using a 12x scope. It's ability to do it's intended job was/is without question in the hands of it's intended operator. Russian doctrine is different than the west, and their small arms first contact range, is much closer than ours.

You can get a Romanian PSL for $1000. Problem is, you can't do as much with a PSL or SVD. Mounting scopes sucks and they are 2-3 MOA rifles. Yea, they are cool, but I would go with a 308 AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pretty sure that the Chinese version is built on Russian tooling to Russian specs(ie built under license or whatever). </div></div>

Not sure. Doesn't the NDM 86 have 1 less bolt lug than the SVD. It's not built to specs and not as nice.

The Chinese rifles are just as well made as the Russian SVD, the finish isn't as nice (shinny black painted finish).
The scope mounting system does a good job at keeping zero and the factory scope can be changed out from the small 4 power scope to a larger 8 or 10 power Russian scope. You can also mount a standard scope with the weaver mount.
The .308 NDM-86 is more accurate than the PSL or NDM-86 and easily holds under 1 MOA with proper match grade ammo.

The NDM86 SHOULD be more accurate Thant the PSL. I'm not arguing that it isn't as accurate. I just feel the NDM86 isn't worth the $3-5K people are selling them for. If he has a fascination with these Soviet-type weapons, the PSL would be a good alternative for less money. I don't feel any of these rifles are as accurate as the 308AR or M1A.

Wether or not the NDM86 has same quality as the SVD or not, I dont know. I haven't owned either. From what I hear, the NDM has 1 less bolt lug (I don't know if that matters). Finish definitely isn't as nice as an SVD. I doubt, based on China's history of making great (sarcasm) products, the steel is the same quality as the SVD. I'm sure this is debatable. I just feel that spending $2500 for a Tiger would be a better option than spending more on a NDM.

I'm not putting your rifle down, these are just my opinions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azakms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Chinese rifles are just as well made as the Russian SVD, the finish isn't as nice (shinny black painted finish).
The scope mounting system does a good job at keeping zero and the factory scope can be changed out from the small 4 power scope to a larger 8 or 10 power Russian scope. You can also mount a standard scope with the weaver mount.
The .308 NDM-86 is more accurate than the PSL or NDM-86 and easily holds under 1 MOA with proper match grade ammo. </div></div>

I completely agree. While I have never been able to get 1 MOA groups with the 4X scope I can get 1.5"-2" groups. I am sure if I ever put my Kalinka 8X on it and my 308 handloads I could get pretty close to 1 MOA.

I've not heard that about the NDM having one less lug. As Santo pointed out, you can set the standard SVD next to a NDM-86 in 7.62X54r and they are almost identical. Key differences are the paint/finish used, the NDM stock is slightly shorter, the trigger group is slightly different in the NDM to do away with the safety sear that had to be omitted in the SVD due to NFA restrictions, and depending on when it was imported it may or may not have a spring-loaded firing pin.
The biggest short fall of the NDM/SVD is the low power scope. The larger 8 power scope does a lot better in that respect. As Gunfighter14e2 pointed out, he was using a 12 power scope on the rifle he was using rather than the 4 power scope issued with the 70's issue rifles.
Everything I've read points that the .308 NDM-86 is a more accurate rifle than the standard SVD. This statement was qualified by including the use of 7.62X54r sniper grade 7n1 and 7n14 loads. The .308 had many more options for loads and is a superior caliber for long range shooting over the 7.6254r.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azakms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've not heard that about the NDM having one less lug. As Santo pointed out, you can set the standard SVD next to a NDM-86 in 7.62X54r and they are almost identical. Key differences are the paint/finish used, the NDM stock is slightly shorter, the trigger group is slightly different in the NDM to do away with the safety sear that had to be omitted in the SVD due to NFA restrictions, and depending on when it was imported it may or may not have a spring-loaded firing pin.
The biggest short fall of the NDM/SVD is the low power scope. The larger 8 power scope does a lot better in that respect. As Gunfighter14e2 pointed out, he was using a 12 power scope on the rifle he was using rather than the 4 power scope issued with the 70's issue rifles.
Everything I've read points that the .308 NDM-86 is a more accurate rifle than the standard SVD. This statement was qualified by including the use of 7.62X54r sniper grade 7n1 and 7n14 loads. The .308 had many more options for loads and is a superior caliber for long range shooting over the 7.6254r. </div></div>

www.dragunov.net/internals.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azakms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've not heard that about the NDM having one less lug. As Santo pointed out, you can set the standard SVD next to a NDM-86 in 7.62X54r and they are almost identical. Key differences are the paint/finish used, the NDM stock is slightly shorter, the trigger group is slightly different in the NDM to do away with the safety sear that had to be omitted in the SVD due to NFA restrictions, and depending on when it was imported it may or may not have a spring-loaded firing pin.
Everything I've read points that the .308 NDM-86 is a more accurate rifle than the standard SVD. This statement was qualified by including the use of 7.62X54r sniper grade 7n1 and 7n14 loads. The .308 had many more options for loads and is a superior caliber for long range shooting over the 7.6254r. </div></div>

www.dragunov.net/report_ndm86.html

Why spend more on a NDM than a Tiger? NDMs are a lot more expensive than Tigers. I agree with the argument that the NDM would be more accurate in 308. I guess the OP needs to determine what kind of accuracy he wants and what he is willing to pay. What about availability and cost of 308 NDM mags?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WildBill3/75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are pieces of crap, even the real ones. ALOT better could be had for less money. </div></div>

Sounds like your extensive experience with Soviet weaponry is based on how much 5.11 gear you have in your closet...

Yes, there are better semi-autos out there. Heck, I would go with SVT40 instead and it is much older than SVD. May I also suggest you study up how SVDs were used, by whom, and to what distances. And oh, SVDs and PSLs are not the same rifles. Some parts are not even interchangeable. Move on.

Atirador,
I now see what you're talking about in having one less lug on the bolt...then an AK47. Here's an excerpt from the page you posted:

The bolt functions in a similar way to the Kalashnikov design, which only has 2 locking lugs, whereas the Dragunov bolt has 3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea what a "modified" or "modernized" SVD can do.</div></div>

For awhile there was a company in Russia who were accurizing them for civilian sale. Pretty sure their guarantee was 1MOA for 5 shots and they shipped with test targets and ammunition information.

Buddy of mine in NZ has one and it shoots very close to MOA.

None of this matters though as 1) the 308 AR is a better platform and 2) until they are imported again they are nothing more than a collector item for those that wanna spend 3-4k...

Now if this domestic guy starts building them with heavy US made barrels in 308...it still won't be as good as a 308 AR but at least they *may* be an economically viable option.

For those of us that like the look of old military hardware, they really are a cool looking piece.

If they were down around $1K I would buy one. I can't justify it when they are at the same price point as a nicely built match rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of us that like the look of old military hardware, they really are a cool looking piece.
</div></div>

...and the fact that you can't really get them anymore
frown.gif

Buying a VEPR in 308, converting it to use M14 mags and then putting SVD buttstock and US made handguard on it is the best option if you want a Russian type rifle in 30 cal.

PSL is a rattletrap. I know, I have one.

If you're getting a .308 Vepr, the Super Vepr is the best choice. It has a fluted heavy barrel at .7" in diameter, push button safety, and if you get the top rail scope mount design, you can mount a scope very close to the barrel. There are now 20 round magazines for the .308 Vepr on the market as well.
SuperVeprMuzzlex1small.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azakms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Atirador,
I now see what you're talking about in having one less lug on the bolt...then an AK47. Here's an excerpt from the page you posted:

The bolt functions in a similar way to the Kalashnikov design, which only has 2 locking lugs, whereas the Dragunov bolt has 3.

</div></div>

That can be taken 2 different ways. A little confusing. Anyone mind checking their bolt? I just wanna know for my own info. Thanks!!!

Dragunov has 3 lugs and the AK has 2 lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azakms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dragunov has 3 lugs and the AK has 2 lugs. </div></div>

I realize that, but way I read the article, I took it that like the AK, the NDM has 2. Check your NDM. I am curious.