• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SVSSED 4,5-24 In Hand

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    20180711_182900[1].jpg

20180711_182926[1].jpg

Unfortunately, I'm feeling like shit and won't be able to get to the range for several days.
    This thing is NICE. The turrets are a bit stiff when pulling them up, very easy to push back down.
    Clicks are SOLID, no mush anywhere.
    Magnification ring turns SMOOTHLY.
    Parallax is likewise smooth.
    While holding it in my hand, I was able to focus clearly on a brick wall about 20 feet away on 24 power.
    Glass appears top shelf, reticle is clearly defined.
    Illumination switch turns with no issue (haven't installed the battery yet.

Scope comes with a scopecoat, battery, TINY allen keysunshade.
    Finish is smooth, even matte black, lettering is subdued white.
    More to follow, I need to go mount it.

If you're a fan of big turrets, this thing has you covered.
    Illumination lights up entire reticle.
    Reticle is a floating dot, according to the info provided, dot subtends .073 mils.
    Holdover lines are numbered every mil, windage lines are numbered every other mil.

I’m very interested in what you think after looking through it some more & using it on the range.

I'm surprised Sightron didn't feel users would want zero stop in a 24X scope with 120 moa of elevation. Can a shim be inserted like on a SWFA? Would love to see a pic with the elevation turret cap off.

They caution against removing the center post screw, stating that damage will LIKELY occur.

Knowing this, I’d like to know what the actual hell they were thinking... putting out a new optic lacking one of the most basic features that potential buyers are going to be looking for.

Then to say oh no, there’s no aftermarket options without damaging it? That’s laughable really. I guess you can argue how necessary a ZS really is but I think this might be a good definition of shooting oneself in the foot.

Reactions: Stoweit
    What is the street price for these now.

I am just handing back the preproduction SV 5-25x56 unit i had on loan for some testing i have to say i dig the scope more than i should.

Aside from crowded reticle i can't realy complain , its a top shelf scope in every sense (i just wish production units keept the amazing 40mil elevation that is present on the preproduction unit )

Holy giant turrets Batman......that and no ZS, pass

I think we may actually be mistaken... I always thought utg was knock off bbgun and airsoft stuff and was priced accordingly but when I saw how close they looked on the web assumed they were third party with different markings. But there are now more pics out that seem to show the difference. I wonder if UTG was forced to demonstrate the difference after some misleading advertising claims because the indepth pics didnt use to exist.

Fdkay- both your xlr rings have this picatinny cross bar circled in red?
    1535464623988.png

The UTG doesnt appear to have that.
    1535464704887.png

1535464727873.png

They are different after all and the XLR does appear to be a more solid product.

yes, mine have the bar partway across. Not a full length recoil lug, about 60% of the distance.

Very nice, the lack of zero stop wouldn't bother me at all since I'm not really playing the turret merry go round past 8-9 mils anyway.
    Curious what the street price was as well. The only experience I have with Sightron is with an older SII 4.5-14 in A.R.M.S. throw lever rings .that has been hopped around from various AR's used primarily for hunting but has been flawless in that role.

How did they manage to make an elevation turret that tall and not include a zero stop? That’s crazy. Otherwise it look Iike a solid scope. I’ve wanted to like Sightron stuff for awhile, but they were/are just always missing a few key features.

I think we may actually be mistaken... I always thought utg was knock off bbgun and airsoft stuff and was priced accordingly but when I saw how close they looked on the web assumed they were third party with different markings. But there are now more pics out that seem to show the difference. I wonder if UTG was forced to demonstrate the difference after some misleading advertising claims because the indepth pics didnt use to exist.

View attachment 6937435

View attachment 6937436
    View attachment 6937437

They are different after all and the XLR does appear to be a more solid product.

This is very common. People often believe they are getting the same product but for cheaper. In reality when you buy both, there are usually some big differences between the cheap and expensive option. The Burris and Vortex and chinese six hole rings are great example. At first look they all seem the same.

View attachment 6937435

View attachment 6937436
    View attachment 6937437

My UTG Pro have the 60% lug like the XLR.
    They are the exact same design with different branding.
    UTG Pro is made in the USA and all of the UTG Pro parts that this consumer with 20 years experience in the machine shop has purchased have been of very good design, materials, machining, and finish, regardless of what the haters want to believe.

UTG Pro ring reduced.jpg

Reactions: Bender
    My UTG Pro have the 60% lug like the XLR.
    They are the exact same design with different branding.
    UTG Pro is made in the USA and all of the UTG Pro parts that this consumer with 20 years experience in the machine shop has purchased have been of very good design, materials, machining, and finish, regardless of what the haters want to believe.

View attachment 6937680
    See, that’s what I thought they were originally, identical. I wonder why the images on their website show that different style now. I figured it was patent infringement or something and they had to change it up. Or maybe it was that and you got the early model. Or maybe I just found a different style all together. Idk at this point but there’s no denying the pics.

The only rings I've seem with the retractable pin style lug are for air rifles.

The UTG rings (which are current production I just bought) have a US patent number on them so if there is a patent infringement issue I doubt it is UTG that has the problem. In all likelihood XLR is reselling rebranded UTG rings, just like Vortex Precision rings are made by Seekins and MPA mounts are rebranded ZRODelta mounts.

Reactions: Bender
    The only rings I've seem with the retractable pin style lug are for air rifles.

The UTG rings (which are current production I just bought) have a US patent number on them so if there is a patent infringement issue I doubt it is UTG that has the problem. In all likelihood XLR is reselling rebranded UTG rings, just like Vortex Precision rings are made by Seekins and MPA mounts are rebranded ZRODelta mounts.

I actually just asked ZRODelta about that as I'm looking for a 35mm unimount (MPA only have the ones with 20 moa of cant in stock) and ZRODelta don't list anything for 35mm. Frank from ZRODelta told me they had no affiliation with MPA and no plans to build a 35mm unimount...

Very nice, the lack of zero stop wouldn't bother me at all since I'm not really playing the turret merry go round past 8-9 mils anyway.
    Maybe you mean a second revolution indicator, because what you describe is definitely not the purpose of a zero stop.

I actually just asked ZRODelta about that as I'm looking for a 35mm unimount (MPA only have the ones with 20 moa of cant in stock) and ZRODelta don't list anything for 35mm. Frank from ZRODelta told me they had no affiliation with MPA and no plans to build a 35mm unimount...
    On closer examination, although there is a strong resemblance between the contour of the rings (especially the details in the caps) and similarities between the bases in the MPA and ZRODelta mounts, they are not identical. I believe, at a minimum, the design of one was strongly influenced by the design of the other. I remembered a post here a while back about them being the same mount and at that time took a quick look. It was a poor example of rebranding.

I thought there was a rule to ban anyone with UTG anything on their gun?
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance — that principle is contempt prior to investigation"
    - William H. Poole

Last edited:
    Reactions: 308pirate
    Maybe you mean a second revolution indicator, because what you describe is definitely not the purpose of a zero stop.

No I meant exactly what I said, if I advance no more than 10mils on a 10 mil turret then I personally don't need either though they would be a nice feature just not completely necessary.

One of my scopes doesn't have an illuminated reticle either that I allways thought I had to have but haven't noticed it hindering me at all. My hunting scopes however do have illumination as that's primarily the only time I really have ever used it other than playing around and tinkering with shit.

No I meant exactly what I said, if I advance no more than 10mils on a 10 mil turret then I personally don't need either though they would be a nice feature just not completely necessary.

One of my scopes doesn't have an illuminated reticle either that I allways thought I had to have but haven't noticed it hindering me at all. My hunting scopes however do have illumination as that's primarily the only time I really have ever used it other than playing around and tinkering with shit.
    That's fine. For me, a scope without both those features has to be sub $1000.

And alot of people feel the same way, that being said my next scope will most likely be a Razr Gen II with both of those features just not quite ready for that expenditure yet since I still have a new Bushnell ET 3.5-21 that has just been sitting around.

When you consider the quality of the construction, the glass, the glass coatings and the quality of the mechanical interface (turrets and associated gears), one wouldn't be surprised that the scope exceed the 1000 dollar mark.
    I've evaluated a Gen II Razor and PST II, I own an LRTSi and an IOR 3-18x42, I've used other scopes ranging from cheap crap to some very nice stuff.
    This is a dandy scope, and I think, worth the money.
    But...yes, they should have included a zero stop.

Last edited:

View attachment 6937435

View attachment 6937436
    View attachment 6937437

Take a closer look. The UTG rings you have pictured are dovetail mount. Their Pro Picatinny Rail mount rings have the solid square lug.

Reactions: spife7980
    I have a UTG one piece mount on my 34mm Weaver. It was $45 and it looks and performs exactly how it should. It holds my scope, and it holds zero.

35D6B024-B186-4EB1-9A0A-B2F9BA975E0B.jpeg

I just went to Sightron's website to check features of the SV 4.5-24x56, and they list it as having a mechanical zero stop. I've got several Kahles K624i AMRs, five Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56, and a couple of their new Ares ETRs, so don't really need another 34mm scope....but would still like to have the opportunity to examine one of the SV scopes...am an old fan of the SIII 6-24x50 spf scopes, anxious to see how good the optical quality is on these SVs.

Zero stop for the SV is in the works.
    Also, a S-Tac FFP 4-20x50, mil/mil (.1 mil clicks), zero stop will be offered in the 2019 line. Come by the Sightron booth at SHOT to see the S-Tac FFP. Retail is going to be $699.

EJ

Reactions: jlake1958
    Also, a S-Tac FFP 4-20x50, mil/mil (.1 mil clicks), zero stop will be offered in the 2019 line. Come by the Sightron booth at SHOT to see the S-Tac FFP. Retail is going to be $699.

EJ
    Great news. I think the STAC series are great scopes for the price range, you just dont hear much about them. I would think this new one should be a popular addition.

I read UTG has been stepping their game up and offering real products in more recent years (vs their airsoft/mall ninja made in china shit they've been known for) but with so many established quality products out there I still don't see a reason to take a chance.

EJ
    Will a retro-fit be available? (willing to pay)