• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SVT-40

Re: SVT-40

Not too up on the SVT...but the bit where it says "most were lost or catured at the start of the war" seems a bit strange....sounds a lot like a sale story to me.

They were in production up to January 1945 with production figures quoted as in excess of 5,700,000. Makes the "lost ro captured" bit hard to believe!

Refurbed..but by whom? Arsenal in USSR or post import?

Buy the gun...not the story.

That being said...I've always wanted an SVT!

i dont read into any of the trash the guy is saying, just wondered if it's a nice example of one, and price too far off? im not too familiar with them

I used to have one of those rifles. It was one of the first rifles given to me as a teenager. It was a nice enough rifle, but I lacked the experience and mentoring to see what it was capable of.

Not a great price, but not bad.

The seller doesn't quite know what he's talking about, you can tell he googled to try and put that description together.

Considering the SVT38 wasn't redesigned into the SVT40 until 1940, he probably just copied and pasted the pointless comment about "Most were lost or captured at the start of the war", considering the gun didn't exist at the beginning of WWII and had only been around for a single year when the Germans went East.

The AVT variants were the ones MOST prone to stock failures, even though the wrists are dimensionally larger. The later war stocks were made of a hardwood instead of the original birch, and those ones are the ones designed to correct the stock cracking.

The AVT stocks were just used up on SVTs as they had a surplus of them available at arsenal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Like he said in the description, original arsenal.

1 - That's where the Soviets used up the supply of AVT stocks
2 - That's where the bolts got "plumbed" with the distinctive purplish bluing
3 - That's where the mismatched parts (stock and mag) would have been force matched
4 - Seller claims the one stock repair is arsenal done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont read into any of the trash the guy is saying, just wondered if it's a nice example of one, and price too far off? im not too familiar with them </div></div>

If you're more than mildly interested and have the spare cash, go for it. If you just saw it and thought, "Oh, SVT, cool...", then there are definitely better deals to wait and watch for.

All matching parts is practically impossible, matching mag is very difficult to get and the seller is right about the AVT stocks being prevalent. Finding an original matched single cutout stock isn't going to happen. Most everyone's SVT stock is somewhat cracked, lots of them got damaged by people not adjusting the gas setting properly for their ammo.

The force matched stuff is arsenal original, so certain folks in the milsurp industry have different opinions on that. I consider it to be nearly as good as a pure specimen, but some folks nearly think it's a parts gun.

Would be nice to have more pictures on this type of thing, the single picture doesn't show much, but everything seems kosher.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Like he said in the description, original arsenal.

1 - That's where the Soviets used up the supply of AVT stocks
2 - That's where the bolts got "plumbed" with the distinctive purplish bluing
3 - That's where the mismatched parts (stock and mag) would have been force matched
4 - Seller claims the one stock repair is arsenal done
</div></div>

Yeah?...the only mention of arsenal repair relates to the stock...not the rest of the gun.

The point I'm making is that how much of what else he says (apart from the "lost or captured") is BS and needs verifying?

Nothing "rare" about that rifle, at all. It's worth $700-$900, tops and I, personally, would probably not pay more than $850 for it and that would be after seeing a LOT more pictures.

A couple of things:
import marked? Bonus not to have.
SA marked? Two schools of thought. Purist Russian collectors don't want, Finnish collectors do want.
dark bore? A concern, as this could also be in the gas system. (Does the adjustment knob turn easily?)

If import marked with dark bore, $1075 is too much. $800 to $900 is more in line with a rifle with good bore. Unless rare in your area, pass.

Hell, even I can see the import mark. Just another Century import going for 3 times the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing "rare" about that rifle, at all. It's worth $700-$900, tops and I, personally, would probably not pay more than $850 for it and that would be after seeing a LOT more pictures. </div></div>

My thoughts as well.

Neat pieces, don't see them like you used to so much. A lot of the early ones fielded were abandon by the soviets as they were pushed back by the German. I have a picture in one of my books of Germans armed with discarded SVTs. Apparently they were a bit finnicky and the Germans figured out they worked good when maintained and cleaned, and when supply lines were bogged down in the mud they made use of them.

$1075 is to high in my opinion. IF the gas system is in good shape and the bore is not to badly pitted and you get more photos of the gas valve, piston and bore if the pictures prove they are not to badly pitted the maybe $800-$900 tops. By the way that is not the correct sling for the SVT 40. It looks like an SKS sling to me.

The seller IMO opinion is not very familiar with the history of the SVT 40.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of the early ones fielded were abandon by the soviets as they were pushed back by the German. I have a picture in one of my books of Germans armed with discarded SVTs. Apparently they were a bit finnicky and the Germans figured out they worked good when maintained and cleaned, and when supply lines were bogged down in the mud they made use of them. </div></div>

You don't have a fucking clue what words are coming out of your mouth, do you? This is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever read...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot of the early ones fielded were abandon by the soviets as they were pushed back by the German. I have a picture in one of my books of Germans armed with discarded SVTs. Apparently they were a bit finnicky and the Germans figured out they worked good when maintained and cleaned, and when supply lines were bogged down in the mud they made use of them. </div></div>

You don't have a fucking clue what words are coming out of your mouth, do you? This is the dumbest fucking thing I have ever read... </div></div> Please,can you explain why the quote above,among your readings, is so dumb ?

$800-$900 was the price at least 4 years ago, they are not made anymore and they are getting scarce, $1000 or so for one in good condition these days is a fair price but you don't have to buy it if it is too much for your budget though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$800-$900 was the price at least 4 years ago, they are not made anymore and they are getting scarce, $1000 or so for one in good condition these days is a fair price but you don't have to buy it if it is too much for your budget though. </div></div>

4 years ago I bought a refurb @ the December SAR show in Phoenix AZ with a pristine bore in excellent condition for $650 and a another at the next Crossroads show in February for $700. Most of the ones I see selling now are in the $800-$900 range unless they are non refurbs then the prices are more like $1200-$1300 and up depending on condition, manufacturer and whether they are matching or not.
Judging from the responses it seems they are priced differently in different parts of the US. Although the $650 one I bought on my C&R was from a dealer in Georgia who was at the SAR show. Here's a link for one just posted for $900.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/collectors.cgi?read=43350