• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swampfox Kentucky Long 2-12x44 review

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
I’ve been looking for a scope that I can shoot on low magnification with both eyes open, like thick hardwoods hunting situations but also give me a mil/mil reticle and 8x+ power for shooting steel at longer ranges. Ok, so the SwampFox 2-12x FFP scope with RECCE reticle fits the bill. I have begun evaluating it and comparing it to some other scopes I have. The whole lineup:

Swampfox KYLR with the RECCE reticle:
https://www.swampfoxoptics.com/kentucky-long-series
Burris XTR3 3.3-18 FFP with SCR2 reticle

Bushnell Elite 3-12x44 FFP

Trijicon Credo HX 2.5-15x42 SFP:

Bushnell AR Optics 1-8x24 SFP:

I review scopes for my own purposes, which is a focus on how I use and operate a scope. My priorities are that it tracks properly and that the controls are easy to operate and see from behind the rifle. I mostly use mil/mil scopes with zero stop. A useful scope to me is one that gives me an eyebox that works in various rifle positions, has a good uncluttered reticle and provides good field of view. Illumination is important to me in scopes I might use for CQB, that have low 1x-2.5X magnification as well as FFP scopes where the reticle changes size dramatically. The illumination helps me see some FFP reticles which become small and thin at low magnification. Glass quality isn’t a top priority, but poor image crispness can become a hindrance or a distraction. So for me, the higher the quality of the scope, the less I worry about image quality. For this Swampfox I will pay closer attention to glass quality than I would for a Zeiss or Kahles.

1. Unbox and setup, fit and finish - Box is well packed. Comes with a throw lever, which is easy to attach using the provided Allen. Throw lever works well and mag ring moves smoothly.
Turrets have a nice tactile click.
There is no Revolution counter which is a shame because I find it a useful feature and it costs almost nothing to put marks on the inside of the turret column.
The reticle focus is easy to adjust. I’d rather it be a lockable adjustment because I have no reason to change it once it is set to my eyes. Hopefully it doesn’t move when I put a scope cap on the ocular.
Parallax adjust works well and the numbers seem pretty accurate for the ranges I tried so far.
Installing the battery was easy.
I don’t like that there is no OFF position in between the illumination dial numbers 1-11. When you are at either ends max of 11 or minimum of 1, you can just move it one position to 0 for off, but if you’re in the middle, like 4,5,6,7, then you have to move it as many as 6 positions to turn it off.
The turrets are locked. Pop it up and it is ready to dial. Pop it back down and it is locked again. Well executed.
The box includes a nice reticle card which shows the reticle at 2X, 12X and the subtensions outlined on the flip side.

IMG_2347.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

To be continued…

Reactions: Kamerad
2. Eyebox - I tested this right at sunset and for 40 minutes past sunset looking into dark hardwoods with the sunset horizon behind me. With a naked eye, 50 yards into the woods looked pretty dim. I would hesitate to pull the trigger on a deer in that light. Looking through the Swampy KYL at 2X gave me a clear crisp view inside those hardwoods and I’d have no hesitation to make a shot. The ocular is large and provides a great field of view. It doesn’t get much tighter at 12x either. Still very useable.
Comparing it to the other scopes - the eyebox is easily twice as good as the Bushnell Elite at 3x and 12x.
And a little better than the Bush AR Optic at 2x. As a SFP 1-8X the AR Optic seems designed for the 1-2x and is better there. At its max of 8x the AR Optic doesn’t hold a candle to the KY Long at 8x. The KY Long field of view and image quality was way better than the AR Optic also.
Is it as good an eyebox as the XTR3? No, but for 1/3 the price, it works well.
Is it as good an eyebox as the Credo HX? No, but the Credo is SFP. Also, the Credo has some major fisheye going on that is distracting at 2.5X to about 8x. So far, I’d take the Swampfox in a head to head With the Credo. Seriously.
Overall, FOV, eyebox, image quality, I like this scope and it provides enough eyebox that I can get behind the rifle in the prone, at the bench and standing behind a barricade and find the target.

3. Reticle - I really like this RECCE reticle. This is the most subjective part of a scope, so YMMV. I like that at 2x the crosshairs give me a quick target acquisition and uncluttered view with a smaller illuminated crosshair in the center. It works for my purposes at 2x.
At 12x those thick crosshairs are gone and you have a nice milrad reticle with marks every 0.5 mils out to 14 mils left, right and down. The center is a small floating dot. You also have a tree with 0.5 mils dots. The center crosshair that is illuminated is 6 mils. No nonsense, nothing you don’t need. Not too fat at 12x and not too thin at 2x. Ive always likedthe Burris SCR2 reticle, but the RECCE, while very similar, is better executed, especially at 2x.

4. Tracking test worked perfectly in every direction as well as conducting a box test.

Thats all I’ve got for now.

Any updates / issues with the scope so far? I am looking forward to buy the Warhawk 2-10x44 with Recce reticle.

Kind regards

Tobias