• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SwampFox Warhawk 2-10x44: Poor man’s MK5HD?

white_rushin

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2021
United States
I have been researching MPVO type scopes over the past few months. There seem to be limited options on the market but a lot of interest since many people seem to be drawn to SPR/DMRs now.

I tend to see lots of discussion on the usual players like: Credo 2-10, GLX 2.5-10, Athlon 2-12, Viper 2-10, and the new Leupold MK5 2-10.

However, I see little to no discussion or reviews at all about the SwampFox Warhawk 2-10x44. It’s “little” brother, the Kentucky Long 2-12, gets a lot of feedback, but I’m surprised this one has gone unnoticed. It looks like SwampFox designed it years ago but finally just started releasing it:

9C7374B5-BA34-4A54-A67A-F288AB518862.jpeg

In my mind, this Warhawk 2-10 is starting to resemble a budget/poor man’s Leupold MK5 2-10. I know that sounds like blasphemy, but hear me out. They both have the same magnification range, fully featured modern designs with side adjustment, locking turrets, (optional) illumination, and compact, similar scope bodies (34mm vs 35mm).

FOV at 100 yards on the Warhawk is 62.6' (2x) - 12.5' (10x) whereas the MK5 is 59.6' (2x) - 10.5' (10x).

The biggest differences are of course that the Leupold has much nicer glass and is lighter weight (5oz).

Somehow the $400-$500 Warhawk dunks on the Leupold with a much better modern Mil-based reticle and the entire unit costs as much as the illumination “upgrade”.

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these budget options?

I've not had a chance to try a Warhawk.

I've been running a made in the Phillipines Sightron STAC 3-16 with the Mil Hash reticle and have been really happy with it. The reticle could be improved with a christmas tree style I guess but the prices are really reasonable when they are on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: white_rushin
IMO 29oz weight is a total non starter for scopes in this category.

Why not go up 1oz and get the more capable 3-15 in the same series? Or any number of manufacturers 3-18s?
The reticle looks like its going to be very slow on 2x anyway so i dont see that power being useful for anything but a wider FOV. Your use case may be different than mine but no way would I trade more FOV for a 5-8x lower top end.

Good feedback. The weight seems to be the isolated dealbreaker in this design.

With a modern well made mount that’s in the 5-6oz range like the PLX, Scalarworks, Reptilla, you’re in about 35-36oz total.

That’s not a significant amount more than other robust, heavier options like the PST Gen II 2-10, VCOG, original Primary Arms PLX 1-8, or ATACR.

I won’t deny its pig, but it sounds like everyone thinks the 34mm decision that adds weight is a bad choice

Good feedback. The weight seems to be the isolated dealbreaker in this design.

With a modern well made mount that’s in the 5-6oz range like the PLX, Scalarworks, Reptilla, you’re in about 35-36oz total.

That’s not a significant amount more than other robust, heavier options like the PST Gen II 2-10, VCOG, original Primary Arms PLX 1-8, or ATACR.

I won’t deny its pig, but it sounds like everyone thinks the 34mm decision that adds weight is a bad choice
Why do you need 34mm in this optic? How much dialing are you going to do, because that’s the only thing the 34mm tube will get you: more dialing range. I don’t have anything against 34mm, but in this case, perhaps they could have shaved some of the massive weight if they went 30mm.

And yes, it has significant weight. It’s a 1/4 pound heavier than the PST, which is already pretty heavy. Comparing to the original PLX 1-8 isn’t something you want to be doing because that was an unnecessarily heavy optic nobody bought because it was so heavy. And the 1-8 VCOG will be much more durable than this swamp fox, and still, a 1/4 pound lighter.

The “Recce mil” reticle seems decent for the application, but that might be the only redeeming aspect of the optic.

Tried it, loved it. The 2x is great, the eyebox at 10x was comfortable and way better than the Kentucky Long (which is the 30mm version of this scope). Superior to the Helos I compared it with (way less CA) same view seemed closer and sharper. The eye relief did seem thin. Sent it back because of the weight. On a different, less weight focused build, I would absolutely grab another

Last edited:
I like mine 2-10x44 warhawk. It's heavy but I put on a sfar and it makes the recoil more manageable. Seems to work well under the lights pig hunting.

Reactions: Dutch62
After comparing Swampfox Warhawk to the Sightmark Presidio that have a zero stop and sold for a lot cheaper it's a real no brainer especially at their current sale prices of only $279.99 3-18x50 and $314.99 5-30x56 and come with a lifetime warranty including their illuminated reticles/ electronics.