• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swap/Sell or Shoot it?

OkieMike

avowed heathen knuckle dragger
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2021
NE Oklahoma
I have 2 lbs. of a discontinued powder sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Pretty good powder, temp stable, etc...

I also have 2 boxes of bullets gathering dust that I could use with that powder.

Should I go through the hassle of trying to sell/trade it to someone who really liked that powder? (Keep them going a bit longer until it's all gone forever)

Or load it up, shoot it, and have fun?

What would you do?

Mike

Part of me wants to believe that you are being rhetorical with this question and part of me worries that you mean it. 😎

Is there a compelling reason not to shoot it? No? Have fun and enjoy it. Let us know what it was and include a pic of you firing said components.

Done. 👍🏻

Reactions: OkieMike
I didn't say what it was because I'm not a paid/supporting member. I didn't want to come across as trying to get around the site rules.

I've been kicking around the notion of upgrading my membership. If I do I'll consider putting it up for sale... But unless it's someone local to me there'll be HAZMAT and all that BS.

Mike

Unless you think you can quickly develop a load that has the same or very similar mean mv and flies like your primary load (same zero poi and drop values at distance) for the rifle in question, id sell the stuff, take the cash to acquire more bullets, powder and primers that are currently used in your primary load.

Last edited:
It’s 350 rds worth (@ 40) of discontinued powder. I agree with what @nn8734 said, but my opinion is finding and verifying that load leaves you with a balance that doesn’t justify even a minimal effort. I would only use it if I had a purely short range hunting rifle that could give me years of use out of that powder and keep pressure off my primary powder.

Reactions: OkieMike