• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Swapping Actions/Barrels

Starbelly

Private
Minuteman
Newb here to rifle building. I have a Savage 10 pc that I bought as an all purpose hunting rifle, however I am now more interested in LR than hunting and started using this rifle to practice. As it turns out, I got lucky and this gun is exceptionally accurate out of the box (one ragged hole at 100 yds from the bench with 168 SMK's) The only drawback is it has a right hand action and I am left handed. Question is, would it be fairly easy to get another Savage, lets say a used model 10 in left hand and swap barrels/action. If so, would I risk losing the out of the box accuracy? I don't mind keeping the PC as a dedicated hunting rifle, but I'm not a collector either so If I can get one rifle to do two things, even better.

Re: Swapping Actions/Barrels

you would risk losing some accuracy. You might be better off buying the action/gun you want and looking to sell the savage to fund it. whatever your end game is, save your money and start there. It's alot cheaper than piecing together dreams over years, and not having any real long term consistent practice.

Re: Swapping Actions/Barrels

left hand rifles take a big hit, often sell new for more and used for less than righties. Make some offers on used, they usually stay for sale a long time.