• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swapping barrels on an AI/AE

rundm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2005
TX
Ok, I have seen the videos of swapping barrels on the AI/AW and it appears to be rather straight forward with the right tools. I am getting an AI/AE next week and was told that you can also change the barrels on them but that it has a couple of other steps to it. Can someone tell me if I was informed correctly and that there are more steps to it or is it as easy as it appears on the AW. Also can I use the regular, read non AI certified tools to do it with? What I mean by that is being able to buy go/no go gauges for 30 bucks from midway instead of 300 plus dollar AI gauges and barrel vises? Thanks in advance, RG

Re: Swapping barrels on an AI/AE

you need to take the AE out of the Chassis before you can change the barrel. other than that its pretty much the same

The AI gauges and tools are for you to safely change the barrel and check headspace. so aren't likely to be the same as others companies kit.

Re: Swapping barrels on an AI/AE

As said, you need to remove the action from the chassis, not a big deal.

Non-AI brand stuff will work, the biggest hurdle is going to be the action wrench. Get ahold of GAP or stricklyRUM here (I think his Badger action wrench will fit an AE).