• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Swapping rifles 7mm prc for 308

GRZLY

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2024
Mississippi
At the moment I have a 7mm prc Remington 700 long range as my only bolt gun. I'm debating whether on getting rid of it and getting a Remington 700 sps tactical in 308. From a preparedness standpoint what would yall recommend. Should I just keep what I have? I live in the south east where you may get 1600 meters max and more often than not only taking shots on game animals about 600 meters and in.

As much as I’m super stoked to get my seven PRC when it’s finished from short action customs. Realistically and practically the SPS 308 that I had years ago was a tack driver. Barrels can take a high round count and ammunition is much much cheaper.

Reactions: GRZLY and Genin
The likelihood of you needing to win a 1K+ yard "sniper duel", or live off of shooting game animals at that distance is extremely low. From a real 'preparedness standpoint', .308 ammunition is not only easier to obtain but also much cheaper and easier on barrel life (because you should be practicing regardless).

600 on game is a long poke for the SE United States, and even then, .308 is still pretty capable at that distance if the shooter is.

However in all reality...why not just get a second rifle in .308?

Image 3.jpeg

The likelihood of you needing to win a 1K+ yard "sniper duel", or live off of shooting game animals at that distance is extremely low. From a real 'preparedness standpoint', .308 ammunition is not only easier to obtain but also much cheaper and easier on barrel life (because you should be practicing regardless).

600 on game is a long poke for the SE United States, and even then, .308 is still pretty capable at that distance if the shooter is.

However in all reality...why not just get a second rifle in .308?
What dem two sayid. I just had my Remy 5R 308 barreled in 7 PRC (big shout out to @bohem and company) and love it. Will likely love it more when I get to the range tomorrow. But everyone NEEDS a 308 because.........308.

Keep your 7 PRC for LR ad the 308 for SHTF and non critical situations. I hear blue helmets show up well at 1000.

Reactions: GRZLY
As others said above, I recommend just getting a 308 and keeping the 7prc. I have a 308, 6.5, and 7prc and the 6.5 gets used the most realistically. I’ll never get rid of my rem 700 sps in 308 though because it shoots lights out and you always need a 308!