• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swaro STR 80 vs Hendsoldt 45 Spotters

I don’t own either but have used both. I really like the swaro. The reticle was really easy to see but it’s big bulky and heavy. The hens was very crisp and seeing trace was very easy. Good optical clarity. Smaller and more compact. I don’t think either is a bad choice. Just have to decide what you are looking for. Something small to carry or something that just sits on a tripod

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I own both because I couldn’t decide which I liked better? I still don’t know?
I think overall the Swaro is better optically, but I’m sure it could easily be debated. Because of Badger Ordinance’s S.L.I.C.K device I have installed, I usually grab the Hensoldt 45 if I only need one. I just like it better for functionality and modularity I guess. I used to have a Spotter 60 and traded for the 45 reticle.

Both your choices are excellent, I think.

Good luck with your decision!

I wish I could be more help?

Attachments

• F12B27A7-1007-4938-89CD-5EC58D2B42BD.jpeg
    F12B27A7-1007-4938-89CD-5EC58D2B42BD.jpeg
    998.8 KB · Views: 160
I don't think you can wrong with either of those scopes. For what's it's worth Kowa is supposed to be refreshing their lineup this year. Although it lacks a reticule the TSN-884 I have has some amazing glass.

I don't think you can wrong with either of those scopes. For what's it's worth Kowa is supposed to be refreshing their lineup this year. Although it lacks a reticule the TSN-884 I have has some amazing glass.

Unfortunately, a reticle is required. It’s the one thing I don’t have that I have used for. High quality spotter with reticle

Reactions: bunsen27
Might be worth looking at new LMSS 2. Comes with Tremor 3 or H322. New ED prime glass but sure its not at the Swaro or Henny level.

However it is built like a tank and and has alot of rail real estate.

I know its not what your looking for but may be worth looking through to see if it meets your goals.

I've had a 45 and 60 so I could figure out which one I wanted. I chose the 60. I wish the 60 had a better reticle but for me, I'm almost always using 60x so thus why I chose the 60.

STR80 - Good Reticle. Garbage FOV

Spotter60 - Great FOV, Garbage Reticle

Good thing I lucked out and have the Spotter60 (60 body but 15-45x) with Gen2 MilDot.

Good thing I lucked out and have the Spotter60 (60 body but 15-45x) with Gen2 MilDot.
I don't understand what you're saying about 60 body. Spotter 45 and Spotter 60 are identical in terms of body. Just different reticle, and magnification. If I remember correctly the color is also different.

STR80 - Good Reticle. Garbage FOV

Ya, I thought it was still available with the other reticles. The L reticle is shit.

So, now it’s either STR 80 or Hendsoldt 45.....

I don't understand what you're saying about 60 body. Spotter 45 and Spotter 60 are identical in terms of body. Just different reticle, and magnification. If I remember correctly the color is also different.

He’s just saying he has the gen 2 mildot reticle basically.

Have both and each has its pros and cons. The Spotter 60 is built like a tank and the reticle is etched so if your battery craps out or the electronics damaged you still have a reticle. The Swaro glass is excellent as with all of their spotters ( have three). The reticle is crisp and easy to see as long as you don't have issues seeing the color red. Two variable eye pieces are available with different magnification ranges. Rails can be mounted to both the Henny and Swaro.

Lots of hate for the Spotter 60 reticle but frankly I like its simplicity and clear field of view. Used both the 45 and 60 in ELR situations and sometimes impacts get lost in the 45 reticle. Its a matter of personal preference and either option is a great choice.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

These were demo spotter, years ago. Yes. They’re the same body besides color. Just says Spotter60, but 15-45x.

D4F70E46-0378-4FF8-9E81-F3580611A5B0.jpeg

7F17E9BC-F713-492F-80A9-D75BB48C7882.jpeg

No @Dthomas3523 these rare birdies aren’t for sale. Lol.

Reactions: cschastain2
I have an STR80, started with the 20-60X eyepiece and felt like it tunneled a little but really liked it. I swapped the 20-60 onto the ATS I hunt with and got a 25-50 wide eyepiece for the STR. Really opened up the FOV, but it is a little more picky on eye relief. For the range though, I am very happy with it and the ability to turn the reticle on/off is great. Some of my buddies have Spotter 60s and 45s and they are certainly awesome, you probably can't go wrong with either.

Something to consider, when someone inevitably knocks that bitch over Swaro is amazing to deal with. I don't know about Hensoldt, but Swaro's US CS would be hard to top.

Have a 60, thinking of going to a STR80 25-50 wide. Maybe just to change things up though.

Something to consider, when someone inevitably knocks that bitch over Swaro is amazing to deal with. I don't know about Hensoldt, but Swaro's US CS would be hard to top.

Yeah, my thinking with Hensoldt here is probably along the lines of, "Go cry somewhere else."

Side by side my Henny 45 had more clarity at 2k yards than my buddies Swarovski
The ability to turn off the reticle is certainly nice

Yeah, my thinking with Hensoldt here is probably along the lines of, "Go cry somewhere else."
Yeah at least before Zeiss had some semblance of CS, Airbus Optronics I am not so sure about. Maybe they’re awesome, though?

Swarovski is awesome, that is for sure.

Airbus Optronics I am not so sure about. Maybe they’re awesome, though

They well could be, But they sold Hensoldt a while ago.

Wikipedia.

At the end of February 2017, Airbus sold this business unit to the US financial investor KKR

https://www.hensoldt.net/news/hensoldt-finalizes-separation-from-airbus/

Also from the website.

HENSOLDT generates revenues of more than 1 billion euros per year.

So you can sort of see why the 3-12, 4-16, 6-24x56 and 72 scopes are archaic, they probably forget they sell individual scopes and spotters to people. :ROFLMAO:

hopefully their CS is good though.

Oh cool, I had no idea. I got a scope last year that had the Airbus logo on the box, I assumed they were still owned by them. Could have been sitting there forever I guess.

@Dthomas3523 . I have been struggling with this same decision for 6+ months so I am interested to hear the decision. I have read many threads on spotters. I am/was leaning towards Swarovski because of the reticle. But then do I get the angled eyepiece on the STS80 or the straight on the STR80. Some say the angle is better for prone some say straight. Then I recently read a thread where lowlight suggested bino's may be better so now I have to start all over. Crap!!

I want it for range use out to 1,200 yards. I want a MRAD reticle, because MRAD is better than MOA. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just kidding, but I do want MRAD. Does your application lead you to a spotter vs bino's or in addition to bino's? I'm not trying to take the focus off of your question. Just too many variables in this decision tree and I could use some advice also.

@Dthomas3523 . I have been struggling with this same decision for 6+ months so I am interested to hear the decision. I have read many threads on spotters. I am/was leaning towards Swarovski because of the reticle. But then do I get the angled eyepiece on the STS80 or the straight on the STR80. Some say the angle is better for prone some say straight. Then I recently read a thread where lowlight suggested bino's may be better so now I have to start all over. Crap!!

I want it for range use out to 1,200 yards. I want a MRAD reticle, because MRAD is better than MOA. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just kidding, but I do want MRAD. Does your application lead you to a spotter vs bino's or in addition to bino's? I'm not trying to take the focus off of your question. Just too many variables in this decision tree and I could use some advice also.

It’s an addition to binos. When doing classes, reticle is much better. I’ll likely still use binos at matches.

Reactions: DustBun
Convince Vortex to put a reticle in the left side of the Fury5000 that would be a prs distance dream setup in my opinion. I run the str80. It’s good to be able to shut the reticle off when you don’t need it and turn it on when you do

Can't get a reticle with the BTX system yet. It would be nice, that thing is money for long periods on glass. My partner got a BTX/115 lens combo. That shit is the hubble, and really helps with eye strain.

Reactions: Geno C.