• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Swaro STX vs BTX

SuperBoot

Senior Lance
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2017
Denver, CO
I’m looking to upgrade from my current Swaro STS-65 into the modular spotter series, but I’m waffling big time between the BTX and the STX eyepieces.

Primary use will be spotting/RO’ing at matches and just shooting in general out to 2-2.5k. I already have a pair of EL Range 10’s that I use for target scanning, etc so the spotter serves a different purpose.

I’m not really a dude that glasses a lot hunting-wise so that’s not a huge selling point for me. I have gotten into digiscoping with my current spotter though and would like to keep doing that with the new one.

What say ye? Is the fixed power BTX a hindrance over the ability to zoom with an STX? I do plan on using a mag extender but dunno if that will be more of an ass pain than it’s worth.

Anyone that recommends vortex will be heckled and shamed.

Reactions: JRAY6
I have used my btx for sheep, goats and spotting matches. For me I get much less eye strain than with a conventional spotter. The fixed power has been a non issue for me. I love it, and have spent many looong days behind mine.
Also, in good light and on fresh paint, I was able to see impacts @1400 yds.

Reactions: TheHorta
Are you guys able to digiscope with a btx? The fixed power was one reason I have not gone the btx route as well as the weight. I understand this is not applicable for the OP but might be helpful for others debating this topic. The image with both eyes through the btx is unbeatable but I do like being able to set my magnification. Not to hijack the thread but, @abn31c could you elaborate on why the fixed mag has been a non-issue for you while hunting?

Are you guys able to digiscope with a btx? The fixed power was one reason I have not gone the btx route as well as the weight. I understand this is not applicable for the OP but might be helpful for others debating this topic. The image with both eyes through the btx is unbeatable but I do like being able to set my magnification. Not to hijack the thread but, @abn31c could you elaborate on why the fixed mag has been a non-issue for you while hunting?
I’m pretty interested in this too honestly. After having a spotter good enough to digiscope with it’s pretty high on my priority list for a new one.

Like I said earlier I’m planning on buying an extender, but hotswapping one into the system in the field seems 1. Cumbersome, and 2. Like you’re begging dirt/dust to introduce itself into the inner glass of your scope. Maybe I’m overhyping the issue.

I can never go back to mono spotter…BTX and /or high power 12-15x bino

I have spotted many sheep/goats/elk/deer without the extender (though I own the mag ext) at very long range like 1-5 miles. You are correct about changing out the extender in the field. I rarely use it in the field as I too, don‘t seem to need it.

The ability to stay on the spotter for hours without eye fatigue is key…color/movement/shapes especially if you are familiar with the terrain.

I have found elk @ 5 miles out with 12x pure bino and then swap tp tp btx to identify, bulls/no bulls etc then can move in closer and the 12’s are more than adequate.

Moose 1 mile out thru NL Pure 12’s untouched to provoke my stalk. Finished stalk with rifle/outdoorsmans LW tripod for steady rest and walking stick combined final optic just terrapin x no bino.

1B49FA82-A7E4-4145-8233-E5AC84040674.jpeg
8AF503D2-AC3B-4908-A7C3-35400B9E07F2.jpeg

Last edited:
Once you use a BTX you will ever want to single eye piece again, they are that good. That said if you aren't glassing for hours maybe the ability to zoom is more important but I have never needed more. I even bought the doubler (1.7) and havent used as I never needed it.

Been behind BTX’s. Cool if you’re just glassing and what not.
I just like reticles and want to know actual corrections. That’s why I stick to my Hennies and Leupy.
Put a reticle on the BTX, then I’d add it to the stable.

The image is so clear I don't need more power. If I do I can insert the 2x doubler and get 58x fixed. I've never used it. This ram was 3.6 miles away and I just held my phone over the eyepiece.
Screenshot_20220806-112005_Gallery.jpg

Yes, and one cool thing is you can put your phone on one eyepiece and still look through the other eyepiece like a traditional spotter while simultaneously videoing or taking pics.