• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swarov vs. Schmidt & Bender

pcrage

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2009
Looking for a new scope to mount on a .300 win mag for open terrain elk, sheep etc hunting out west.

Opinions on Swarov Z6 in the new 3-18X50 or the S&B 4-16X50....

appreciate input...

P

Re: Swarov vs. Schmidt & Bender

S&B for sure. Swarovoski reticles are all useless in my opinion. Swarovski turrets leave alot to be desired and their durability is untested. Swaro soes have great glass but so does S&B. Alot of hunters really like the Swaro's, if your gonna zero and not touch the turrets ever again, If a reticle is only somthing to aim with for you, If you have money to waste then the Swaro is an option. IMO S&B is 10x the optic.

S&B 4X16X42 PH is a very attractive scope IMHO at 20 oz.

Assuming you are talking about a PM2 S&B. If so, there is really no comparison.... In the S&Bs favor.

Between the two you mention, S&B is better in many ways. Did you consider any other manufacturers? What are your plans for the reticle.

Check out Doug's demo lists for Swaro and Zeiss at:

http://www.cameralandny.com/

I don't understand the Swaro bashing in this thread. Obviously we're not talking about S&B PMII series. If I understood the original question correctly (no need for low mag, no need for twilight performance, no need for exposed turrets) I'd make the choice between 40-42mm models from Leupold, Swarowski, S&B, Zeiss, Nikon, you name it...

I'd base my selection on weight, durability, reticle design, price. Optics-wise all the brands I mentioned are adequate.

bought the S&B precision hunter 4-16x50 mill dot. the strong us dollar makes the price unbeatable if you purchase form a dealer in europe/uk.

$1,900 for the S&B versus $2400 for the Z6...seemed pretty clear to me (pardon the pun)

thanks for the input....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jthyttin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out Doug's demo lists for Swaro and Zeiss at:

http://www.cameralandny.com/

I don't understand the Swaro bashing in this thread. Obviously we're not talking about S&B PMII series. If I understood the original question correctly (no need for low mag, no need for twilight performance, no need for exposed turrets) I'd make the choice between 40-42mm models from Leupold, Swarowski, S&B, Zeiss, Nikon, you name it...

I'd base my selection on weight, durability, reticle design, price. Optics-wise all the brands I mentioned are adequate. </div></div>

I'm not really bashing Swaro so much as it has a place and alot of folks really like them. To me they offer excellent glass but thats it. For the money IMO there are alot of more usefull optics out there as the Swaros are not cheap.

S&B 4-16x50 with mil/mil and a quality LRF and you are GTG for clean kills out to 700+ yds.

S&B makes a great scope, but for hunting open terrain, and with a gun that isn't 15 pounds, Z6 is a damn fine optic.

I own a Swaro with ballistic reticule and really like it, great hunting scope.

These are definitely "no dope change" scopes, but that is usually how hunting goes, at least in my experience.

Tactical scopes and hunting scopes do different things; if what tac scopes do well is what you need, get the S&B.

I own USO, Premier, Nightforce, and others, and just put a Zeiss Victory on my new GAP non-typical hunter. I've seen USO and other tac scopes on them, but for weight and field utility and ease of use, I liked the Zeiss best.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">
(Edited because my spelling sucks.)</span>

I fail to see what the Swarovski has that the 20 ounce 4X16X42 S&B PH doesn't offer with a Mill reticle?

Lower list price
Larger magnification range (comparing 4-16x42 with 2-12x50 Z6)
Wider field of view
Lower weight
Comparable eye relief

Did i mention the lower price? Just under $2,000 compared to almost $3,000.

Admittedly, both are fine scopes, I'd buy the Swaro (but I'd buy a Zeiss Victory first, then the Swaro.)

handled a diavari tonight and havE owned multiple swaros and S&B's and the zeiss is freaking NICE

I could never understand the long big glass hunting rigs that wont dope for distance and wind.

3x9x30 Leupold cant beat it for light weight walk around hunting.

2x25x50 USO,S&B on an A5, short stalk truck hunting and punching paper.

The rest seems overkill.

The Z6 is not long.

It can dope for a shot, assuming there is time and need.

3-9x30 will be very limiting in low light, especially with the crap glass Leupold uses.

I don't disagree that large, heavy scopes aren't ideal for a stalking gun, but my go-to gun has not and will not wear a Leupold.

My initial post stands: Z6 over S&B, and I'd consider Zeiss Diavari too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pjcrage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bought the S&B precision hunter 4-16x50 mill dot. the strong us dollar makes the price unbeatable if you purchase form a dealer in europe/uk.

$1,900 for the S&B versus $2400 for the Z6...seemed pretty clear to me (pardon the pun)

thanks for the input.... </div></div>

+1 on that, scope of a true hunter.

Best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pjcrage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bought the S&B precision hunter 4-16x50 mill dot. the strong us dollar makes the price unbeatable if you purchase form a dealer in europe/uk.

thanks for the input.... </div></div>

+1 on that, scope of a true hunter.

Best regards Chris </div></div>

I agree the S&B PH 3X12X42 wieghs aonly 20 ounces and has low profile turrents for dialing in if needed. The 42mm objective allows for low mounting off the scope. A very nice scope indeed and my choice

Weight 20 oz.

Twilight factor 8.5/22.5
Eye relief 3.70"
Click value .360"
Field of view 31.5/11.4 ft @ 100 ya

I don't want exposed turrets on any of my hunting guns!

Received the S&B PH 4-16 x 50 today. Wow...what a well built scope...I like my Swarovs and Zeiss but what a piece of quality workmanship this S&B is. Looking forward to mounting and testing at the range.

Thanks for the recommendation....well spent money i do believe....

I got a chance to peep through several Z6 Swaro's the other day. Damg fine optics. It was nice to see Swarovski scopes with side focus adjustment for parallax. Compared to a S & B that was on hand the Z6 glass appeared optically brighter and sharper than the S & B. That said, the reticles selections offered on the Swarovski lines isn't suited for tactical applications. .....so for the money.......I would still opt for the S & B. PAT.

the new 2.5-15 and 3-18 Z6's use FL glass in the objective

Night force!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The tall ass turrets may help you stop rolling if you fall down a hill. Hahaha

I go with S&B optics BUT be aware the 4-16x50 does have a rather limited elevation range and is a heavy scope. I have em' love em' but not for a rifle I have to carry in hard country. 2.5-8x36 Leupold VX 3 will cost less, weigh less, mount lower and work fine out here as "low light" (whatever that is) is really not an issue. Hunting is not sniping and every ounce counts in the high country. Another scope I like a lot is the Trijicon 3-9 with the big self illuminated post. It is much better in the "black timber" than any conventional reticle and doesn't have the weigh and problems of GD batteries.
Contrasts: 308 Tikka 595 S&B 4-16x50... 13 pounds
338 Federal Kimber 3-9 Trijicon... 7 pounds
Either will kill as far as I need to, but which would you rather hump up a mountain?
308tikka.jpg

DSCN1897.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain cuda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sweet, could you give me contact to order from Europe? </div></div>

Sweet...did you happen to check the date of the last post in this thread???

If it is a hunting rig and you will be walking. I would go another route. Buy a lighter cheaper scope. Nightforce or a Leupold would be a scopes to consider. Weight is an issue if you are going to packing a lot of shit up and down hills.