• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SWAROVSKI 12x42 NL PURE or SLC 15x56 for spotting/PRS

ALPHADOG

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2022
California
Hello everyone, I‘m wanting to switch to binoculars, over spotting scope, for my spotting system. I will be using the binos for spotting during PRS. I‘m trying to get as much info as possible before I spend the 💰. I have a pair of SLC 8x42, and they are incredible. However, I want more magnification. Your advice would be appreciated.

I struggled with handholding binos at anything above 10x until adding tripod mount.

EL owner here so not same products you are considering but the tripod at greater than 10x is highly recommended.

My two cents here of course…

CH

I had the 15x56 but my interpupillary distance was not quite wide enough to make them work unless they were jammed tight and with a RRS cinch or other methods of mounting them it was a no go so I sold them.
Just got the 12x 42 Pures but have only used glassing on recent elk hunt so no match use yet.

I will be using tripod with Swarovski tripod adaptor if I go with the SLC 15x56. If I go with the NL PURES, I will have to use mounting system. At any rate, just trying to decide if I’m going to go this route.

I have both. You can’t go wrong with either. Nl pure 12x is amazing. Better quality glass than the slc but slc is still really nice. Amazing glass and you get 3x more also weighs much more. You can mount both of them on a tripod with the outdoorsman bino adapter

Hello everyone, I‘m wanting to switch to binoculars, over spotting scope, for my spotting system. I will be using the binos for spotting during PRS. I‘m trying to get as much info as possible before I spend the 💰. I have a pair of SLC 8x42, and they are incredible. However, I want more magnification. Your advice would be appreciated.
It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you if you have a few minutes to give a call, 516-217-1000. We are in today till about 4 then back on Monday. Merry Christmas

I just went back and forth looking for a new pair of binos, I tried hard to talk myself into the 8x32 pures but ultimately went with EL’s again. The NL’s just don’t have as flat of an image as the EL’s or even SLC’s, I’m guessing that’s how they get the FOV and it’s a trade off. So I went 8.5x42 EL which I’ve had before. I’m using these for nature viewing though and not spotting.

I had 10x42 EL’s that I used for spotting at matches and they were great off of a tripod. I had 12x50’s and SLC 15x56 at one point too but preferred the 10’s overall for their size and weight and I could still use them pretty good without a tripod. If you’re using a tripod all the time though then I’d go SLC 15x56 or EL 12x50.

I just went back and forth looking for a new pair of binos, I tried hard to talk myself into the 8x32 pures but ultimately went with EL’s again. The NL’s just don’t have as flat of an image as the EL’s or even SLC’s, I’m guessing that’s how they get the FOV and it’s a trade off. So I went 8.5x42 EL which I’ve had before. I’m using these for nature viewing though and not spotting.

I had 10x42 EL’s that I used for spotting at matches and they were great off of a tripod. I had 12x50’s and SLC 15x56 at one point too but preferred the 10’s overall for their size and weight and I could still use them pretty good without a tripod. If you’re using a tripod all the time though then I’d go SLC 15x56 or EL 12x50.
I already have a pair of SLC 8x42‘s that I use for classing without a tripod, and I love them! I’ll be using a tripod all the time, so I’m leaning towards the SLC 15x56‘s. As I mentioned, I’m going away from my spotting scope set up and moving to the bino’s instead.

Can't go wrong with either.

Raw image quality is better with the pures but honestly not THAT much different.

I personally use SLC 15x56 for PRS.