• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swarovski 15x56 SLC or Swarovski 12x42 NL Pures

ALPHADOG

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2022
California
Hello, I have a question. I’m wanting your opinion on what would be the better binocular set up for PRS. I currently use the Swarovski 15x56’s, and I love them. I’ve had many people tell me that even the your loosing magnification, the Swaro 12x42 NL Pures out perform the 15x56’s in clarity, field of view, and brightness and they would be an upgrade over the 15x56’s. My question is, would the 12x42 NL’s Pures be better than the 15x56’s for PRS?

Reactions: QT101
Hello,

I’ll start by saying I do not shoot PRS. Disregard all below if that matters.

I have used a binocular almost daily for almost 50 years. Zeiss, Leica and Swaro and others.

Currently I’m using a 15 X 56 Swaro and a 10 X 40 Swaro LRF.

They amaze me. Hard to imagine anything being better.

You will certainly have more FOV with the 12X.

If you can see what you are looking for with the 15x Swaro why would it matter? If you cannot I doubt anything else will do better. You have a fantastic binocular. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ma smith
Copy that. I’m getting older; so the eyesight is getting worse😆 Therefore, anytime there is an improvement in glass clarity, I’m curious to hear how they compare. I guess I need to locate some, so I can see for myself.

Reactions: RTH1800
Check to see if people are having better results for some very specific reason (eg image stabilization). If people are saying IQ+more stable=more usable, maybe that makes sense. But you need to confirm that for your own eyes. Otherwise, the x42 is giving up exit pupil + mag range to the x56.

Reactions: RTH1800
Hello, I have a question. I’m wanting your opinion on what would be the better binocular set up for PRS. I currently use the Swarovski 15x56’s, and I love them. I’ve had many people tell me that even the your loosing magnification, the Swaro 12x42 NL Pures out perform the 15x56’s in clarity, field of view, and brightness and they would be an upgrade over the 15x56’s. My question is, would the 12x42 NL’s Pures be better than the 15x56’s for PRS?
I had a set of SLC 15s that i used for about half of a season of PRS. So strictly talking about PRS or shooting in general:

As you know even though the FOV on the 15s is decent for mag you are still approaching spotting scope levels of mag. Awesome piece of glass but I hated the amount of pan I needed to do in the mt west.
I went to a used set of Swaro EL 10s for a while (non-range finding). The 10s were great for the panning deal. Could get a lot more in view, they were flatter and just overall easier to find stuff on a hill.

My opinion, I think 10x is awesome for the game, 8x too low and 12x vs 15x I'd say keep rolling with the 15s. If you would've asked about switching to NLs 10x i would have said: do it, twice.

Or Get an Abel Table from Able co and mount the 15's side by side with a set of 10s... done

Reactions: ALPHADOG
Yes you would find more game with the 15X than 12X!!! Of course that is from a tripod.

My setup is Swarovski 15X and 10 x 42 Leica rangefinders. I use the 15s for coues, pronghorn, javelina and elk hunts. The unit 17 NM where we hunt elk the 15s are very important in finding them.

If you place value in reviews you should check out what the birders have to say. They are the major market for binoculars. They were the target market for the NL binocular. Just a thought.
As others have said, only your eyes will tell you if you think they are better.

Hello, I have a question. I’m wanting your opinion on what would be the better binocular set up for PRS. I currently use the Swarovski 15x56’s, and I love them. My question is, would the 12x42 NL’s Pures be better than the 15x56’s for PRS?
I realize that as a retailer I'm supposed to sell product, however, as a supporting vendor here I'm supposed to offer support so my question is....If you love them why look for anything else. The old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to kind.
You can spend your life playing the next is better game but when you find something you love and it's doing the job you are using them for and doing it well why look to change?
Just my $.02

I realize that as a retailer I'm supposed to sell product, however, as a supporting vendor here I'm supposed to offer support so my question is....If you love them why look for anything else. The old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to kind.
You can spend your life playing the next is better game but when you find something you love and it's doing the job you are using them for and doing it well why look to change?
Just my $.02

This applies more so when you are already at the top of the heap.