• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swarovski ATS 65 w Vortex Eyepiece Vs Leupold MK4 TMR

flims

Rifletalks.com
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2008
UK
www.rifletalks.com
Thinking of switching spotters and need some views on it.

I currently have a leupold mk4 spotter 12-40x60 with TMR reticle (mils). I think its a great spotting scope with excellent eye relief and magnification range and above average optics.

I have seen the option of the Swarovski ATS 65 with the Vortex MOA reticle and was thinking of switching to this. I know the glass is great but what's eye relief like? I like the fact that this is an MOA reticle which is better suited to my MOA based rifle scope. No need to convert anything and i like the numbers on it. It's fixed 30x but thats no problem to spot shots, i rarely use the leupold at full mag in any case. Any photos through the 30x Vortex MOA reticle anywhere?

Moreover its great to have the possibility of switching to the conventional eyepiece 20-60x.

Any one used the Swaro in this configuration before i let go of my leupold.

tnks

Rd

I have an STS 65 with both the MIL and MOA eyepieces. They work well and the only disadvantage is that it is a fixed 30X which really isn't an issue. Don't have much experience with the Leupold so cannot give an opinion. The Swaro 25-50 wide angle eyepiece is excellent and use it extensively when hunting.

Last edited:
I have the ATS HD65 but with the 20x w and its simply stunning , I haven't looked through the 30x Vortex but i'm guessing that it will come up short against the Swarovski's . I've never really understood the need for calling corrections with a spotting scope as i can do it better with either my NXS MOAR ret or the March MTR-1 which can both use 1 moa corrections . Maybe someone with the Vortex could tell me what divisions the hash marks are in the moa . I could never understand the NXS R2 having 5 moa windage marks , does anyone really call the wind that far out ? I can understand using the greater moa / mil divisions for talking the shooter onto a hidden target from a given point but its not for me for shot corrections i'm affraid .

PS. one useful thing for any Swarovski spotters is to try the Opticron 2.5x Booster on the 20x or 30x by using the push on 40949 adapter and the optics on the 20x which at 50x is very good for such a cheap option .
A small piece of sticky back felt on the inside of the adapter ring makes the fit perfect .

Last edited: