• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swarovski Laser Guide - Flecks In/Around Numbers

maladat

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
TX
Since this sat in the "Observation Devices" forum for more than a day with no responses, I deleted this post from that forum and am reposting it here. I hope that isn't a problem.

Hey folks, just checking if this is normal. I picked up a new Swarovski Laser Guide recently and have been playing with it. In dim light or looking at dark objects, there are tiny dark flecks in the reticle and numbers, and tons of tiny illuminated flecks in crisp rectangular areas around the reticle and numbers.

Obviously these are related to the screen which displays the reticle and numbers, and it's really not THAT distracting, I just figured I would check in with the Hide and see if this is normal. It's a little irritating in a $1000 optic.

I searched to no avail. I THINK this is the right forum for this, if not, sorry.

Re: Swarovski Laser Guide - Flecks In/Around Numbers

Hmmm... I haven't used mine much in low light conditions, other than overcast SE Alaska-sorts of days, but I have ranged against dark backgrounds and haven't noticed what you are describing. That doesn't sound normal to me, and part of the issue is satisifaction so I would let them know about it.

Be forewarned, though - the laser products are serviced overseas and it can take 6 weeks or more. My first Guide starting giving obviously erroneous readings and wouldn't range over about 500 yards. They quickly and easily arranged to have me ship it in, but I complained that I would not have the use of the device for a couple of months and I wasn't too happy about it. The service rep talked to her boss and they shipped me a brand new one. So, let them know what you think. They might need a nudge to do the right thing, but I suspect they will do it.

I have noticed flecks in my reticle and numbers but it does not seem to alter performance or image quality. The other thing I have noticed is that the reticle and numbers can fade or disappear depending on eye position. I do wear glasses and that may make it more noticeable. I assumed this was normal with this type of reticle and display.

Overall I have been very happy with the rangefinding performance and the image quality of the Swarovski.

I have seen the flecks as well. I'd say if your happy w/the rangefinding on the unit, DON'T send it in. They may replace and for whatever reason there are no two created equal. Some are better than others.

what Ladd said, I don't have any problems with mine. I can see what you're seeing, but it's not making it any less accurate.

Thanks folks, I won't worry about it, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't out of the ordinary.

I do need to spend some time making sure it ranges well. I haven't had it with me somewhere I can range anything at 1000yd+.