• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes swarovski monocular rangefinder good for glassing?

dpreston

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Western Pa
I have a swaro monocular rangefinder and scheduled a trip out west for hunting mule deer. I don't have a nice pair of binoculars and was wondering if I could get away with just using the monocular. I'm thinking by using it, there will be alot of strain on my eyes. Has anyone had any experience using this for long periods of time glassing? or should I just invest in a nice set of bino's too?

Re: swarovski monocular rangefinder good for glassing?

You send me that range finder and I'll send you my tasco binos for your trip. And I'll throw in my lupy rangefinder.

Not trying to beat Doug out of a sale, but I've found the Swaro a lot better than any "cheap" binocular. I've got some Steiners that are pretty good but the Swaro is better. It would probably take at least as much as you spent on the range finder to equal viewing enhancement.
While using the range finder if you keep both eyes open it won't strain you eyes as much, and you do loose some field of view.

Get the best bino's you can afford....hunting in the west IS glassing. Without binoculars you arent really even hunting...trust me on this!!

PGS is exactly right...your success depends more on your use of optics than the type of rifle or cartridge you use! Buy the best optics you can afford, buy a small tripod that will fit in your pack and tripod adapter for whatever bino you buy and learn to "Grid Glass"... then you find animals. Use your Swaro for ranging them, not trying to find them. NJS

The Swaro is a really nice rangefinder. However, it sucks as a "glassing" tool IMO. My uncle has the Swaro, I have a Leica Geovid. His Swaro spanks my Leica in the ranging department hands down, no questions asked, any day of the week. When it comes to scanning / glassing an area though, he puts his Swaro away and gets out binos while I just keep using my Leicas. I've tried (on several occasions) to use the Swaro to glass an area and it's just really not enjoyable. Buy the best binos you can afford because if you want to find the animals you'll need them.

Re: swarovski monocular rangefinder good for glass

How far will your geovid range?

Re: swarovski monocular rangefinder good for glass

I was asking how far HIS geovids range. 1300 is IF he has the BRF version. If he has HDs, the Swaro shouldn't be spanking anything. 1400 vs 1500 yd range. The Swaro might beat the Geovids by a little, but under the same conditions, the HDs and the Swaro should be close on ranging and the Geovids should be miles ahead in glassing. Then again, since they are binos, it's not even an (apples to apples) fair comparison.