• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swarovski NL 8x32 vs 8x42 vs EL 8.5x42

redneckbmxer24

Four Star General
Minuteman
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Has anybody spent some time with all 3 of these or at least 2? I’m looking for 8x binos for general outdoor gawking, just hiking and hunting. I’ve had the EL’s but haven’t spent any time with anything from the NL line. Really like the weight and size of the 8x32 NL’s for what I’ll be doing but am concerned about the 32mm lenses but they do advertise a 51ft wider FOV than the 8.5x42 EL’s.

So for those who have experience with all of them, how do they compare?

The people over at birdforum.net are true binocular geeks, I bet you would find more than a few people there that have already done that comparison.

When I was researching 10x bino's I found a plethora of information over there. They geek out on bino's like we do rifles.

Reactions: abn31c
    I’ve been using the 8x32s NLs for over a year now and have not felt handicapped at all. I’ve used them for archery season through long glassing sessions during rifle season. Compared to the ELs they are much more ergonomic. All of them have excellent glass obviously. The 8x42s really aren’t that much bigger but I went with the 32s so that there would be no chance that I had an excuse to leave them behind. They get taken with me on walks with the dog, not just hunting. I would recommend some shaded eyecups for the NL pures as I don’t feel they handle stray light as well as the Noctivids or Zeiss Victory sfs. It’s a great bino that has the best ergonomics imo and makes handheld viewing a breeze. Put them on a tripod and prepare to be immersed.

Reactions: kthomas
    Well I did a 180 and just ordered another set of BX4’s. I’ve been perfectly happy with them for 5 years even while also owning EL’s along side them so they obviously work well enough for my uses so we’ll have 2 sets now and $2K left over for something else.