• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swarovski or NF

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Im looking for a scope for my .270win. Strictly for hunting. Whitetail deer, black bear, mule deer, elk. I was leaning hard towards the new NF 2.5-10x42 NXS Compact. But for the same money I could get into a pretty nice Swaro. Does anybody have any experience with the Swaro scopes? I see that they don't have easily adjustable turrets to dial in range on the fly….Id have to take a scope cap off. Not sure I like that. But on the other hand, I would have to think Swaro glass will be superior. Any comments?

Optically, they should be pretty close but Swaro glass may have the edge. I have heard of a decent amount of people having tracking/zero issues with the Swaro though. The Nightforce will probably be a better optic mechanically speaking. Your main issue will be deciding between the exposed vs. capped turrets and reticle choices. For me, I love the build of the NF 2.5-10x42 and really like the MOAR reticle. When you get into optics in the $1,500+ range, glass quality becomes less of a priority for me as they are all pretty darn good.

I have a Z3 4-14x50 with the glass quality is second to none and gathers light very well which is critical for hunting. The reticle choices for this scope are limited and the turrets are not really designed to dial in your dope. I replaced it on one of my hunting rifles with a NF NXS 3-15x50 with MOAR reticle. IMHO the NF doesn't have the brightness of the Swaro but love the reticle and the ability to dial in your dope at longer ranges.

IOR has a 2.5-10x42 hunting SCOPE that has a quick ranging reticle and illumination. Exposed turrets. Great SCOPE for around $1200 brand new.

It has a very cool telemetric scale that is very simular to the scale used in the msr reticle. It will range a animal from the top of the back to the bottom of the belly (24") out to 800 yards.

If you have the scratch for the Z6 w/ ballistic turret and Plex reticle, that's what I would go with if you just using it for hunting. The swaro has better glass than the NXS series, it's much lighter in weight, and mine tracks plenty good enough for hunting. If your wanting something more tactical the swaro is the wrong scope.

Optically, they should be pretty close but Swaro glass may have the edge. I have heard of a decent amount of people having tracking/zero issues with the Swaro though. The Nightforce will probably be a better optic mechanically speaking. Your main issue will be deciding between the exposed vs. capped turrets and reticle choices. For me, I love the build of the NF 2.5-10x42 and really like the MOAR reticle. When you get into optics in the $1,500+ range, glass quality becomes less of a priority for me as they are all pretty darn good.

What is said here has been my hunting experience since acquiring the NF 2.5-10x42.

I like Swaro glass a bunch, but the NF are taking over my serious hunting rifles from my 6.5 cals to my 9.3 guns.

If you're open to other options, the Leica ER 3.5-14x42 would fit this well. Glass is on par with the Swarovski, you can get them with exposed turrets and matching reticle (if you go with the IBS reticle), and they have a hydrophobic coating which is a big plus for hunting for some. They also dropped production on that model this year in favor of their illuminated line, so price is great. I love mine -- very versatile scope. Only drawback (if you are into long range plinking) is the elevation adjustment is limited to about 30 MOA.

Swaro has great glass and mechanical issues in every scope I have checked. Most will bounce the reticule when the rifle is dry fired. POI shifts are common. Worst scopes mechanically I have ever used. NF scopes are tough and have good features, fair glass and great CS for updates and changes. An American made winner!

Swaro glass is second to none, but NF scopes are more shooter/hunter friendly. If open to other options though, I think the Leupold VX6 in 3-18 or 4-24x50 are the ultimate hunting scope.

Im looking for a scope for my .270win. Strictly for hunting. Whitetail deer, black bear, mule deer, elk. I was leaning hard towards the new NF 2.5-10x42 NXS Compact. But for the same money I could get into a pretty nice Swaro. Does anybody have any experience with the Swaro scopes? I see that they don't have easily adjustable turrets to dial in range on the fly….Id have to take a scope cap off. Not sure I like that. But on the other hand, I would have to think Swaro glass will be superior. Any comments?

What about their scopes with the BT. BT with the 4w reticle would be my pick. Each hash mark on the 4w is 2MOA.

Check out the Swarovski Ballistic Turret Rifle Scopes.

As previous posts state , Swaro for optical quality and NF for mechanical quality , what a dilemma !
Solution = Steiner !, best of both worlds and you can find some older Military models with lower magnification in your price range .
Also the T5 series is about to be released soon , German parts/ American labor .
I own Swaro bino's and spotters and have owned Steiner binos in the past and the difference in optical performance is negligible and the low light capabilities of both exceed NF IMHO .
Always keep your options open !