• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56

Langford

Private Parts
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2014
Middlemitten
Anybody have any experience with this scope?

I'm currently running a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15, and I'm looking to upgrade to something that's better all around. This is going on a lightweight 6.5 Grendel AR for hunting, so the Z8i seems to be a great option.

Reasonably light, excellent magnification range, top tier glass, good light transmission rating and I really like their ballistic turret design. On paper, it appears to be what I'd consider the ultimate hunting scope for short to long range.

The biggest issue is, I can't find one of these locally to fondle before purchasing. I've watched a ton of videos and haven't seen any complaints, but I'd like to hear a little unbiased feedback from real owners. Anybody here have a z8i that can give their input on these scopes?

I don't dislike the HD LH, they are great for the money (I have a 2-10 and 3-15).

The worst aspect is the turrets...they are a mushy mess, almost no discernible "click". It's obviously not made for dialing, but they are really bad.
but that's not the reason for wanting to upgrade, I really prefer an illuminated reticle for hunting and something with a little larger exit pupil, allow me to run a higher magnification in low light without dimming out. At anything over 8x, it starts to get a bit dark once the sun drops behind the tree line, and the contrast is a bit lacking compared to higher end glass. And being SFP, the hashed reticle is almost useless since it's rare for me to take max magnification shots, and doing the math in a sometimes fast paced hunting situation isn't happening (which is why I love the idea of the Swaro ballistic turret, quick and simple adjustment).

They are still great hunting scopes though, the above is just minor gripes...can't expect to get everything in a $600ish super light weight hunting scope. I still recommend these to a lot of people, the glass quality is top notch in that price point. I'm just wanting a scope that has it all.

There is no comparison between the Vortex HD LH and a Swarovski Z8i, and quite honestly, there shouldn't be.
Swarovski Optics are off the charts amazing and it's not fair to compare them to anything coming from the Pacific Rim.
That's not saying that you can't get quality from the brands coming from the Pacific Rim, cause there are many great offerings, however, Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss earned their reputations for top quality European Optics and Swarovski and Leica have never swayed from that. There's a top of the line in every category of product and optically it's fair to say that Swarovski is that top of the line

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

I agree, they are on a completely different level...my intention wasn't to compare them, I know it will be a big step up in quality and performance.

The z8i will be going head to head with my Schmidt & Bender Polar T96 4-16x56, which is on my other hunting rifle. I love the S&B, I'm hoping the Swaro is even better.

I agree, they are on a completely different level...my intention wasn't to compare them, I know it will be a big step up in quality and performance.

The z8i will be going head to head with my Schmidt & Bender Polar T96 4-16x56, which is on my other hunting rifle. I love the S&B, I'm hoping the Swaro is even better.

Optically I think you'll see why Swaro is Swaro :)

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else we can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Rd
Old Bethpage NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

Gotcha, appreciate the response. I suspected that would be your response but as someone in the market for a sub-$1000 piece of hunting glass I was curious to hear any negative feedback.

I definitely appreciate you wanting a nicer scope for your hunting rifle but also mentioned long range hunting. The scope you're talking about based on what I just looked at does not have turrets to dial yardage for long range shots and as much as I appreciate Swarovski glass I can't get my head around spending $3k plus and not having turrets that I can depend on to dial yardage. So may I ask why you would give up the turrets? As nice as the glass is w/Swaros I'm just not certain that there isn't something that will perform well enough thru lawful shooting light that would also offer turrets?

The Swaro z8i has an optional Ballistic Flex turret, you set it for your yardages for your specific round...it's a really simple and easy setup from what I've seen. "Long range" is a relative term, for me here in Michigan...400 yards will be about it, and that's about the limit for hunting energy on my 6.5 Grendel. I'll use it for longer range plinking also.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh3mUm0ujwA

Gotcha, appreciate the response. I suspected that would be your response but as someone in the market for a sub-$1000 piece of hunting glass I was curious to hear any negative feedback.

If you're interested in a 3-15x42, let me know...I'll make you a killer deal on mine.

I do not think you will be dissappointed with Z8i. It is a spectacular scope. I think Z8i and Leica Magnus are two finest hunting scopes on the market right now. I have a Magnus 1.8-12x50 with a ballistic turret sitting on my 280Rem and it is an absolutely superb design. I have less experience with the Z8i, but from what I have seen it is the equal to the Magnus in most respects, so I think you will be happy.

ILya