• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swede Sniper

Re: Swede Sniper

I found pictures of the swede sniper bolt. I used a grinding stone in my milling machine to grind clearance in an M38 bolt to replace the missing bolt for my M41.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPT-DAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found pictures of the swede sniper bolt. I used a grinding stone in my milling machine to grind clearance in an M38 bolt to replace the missing bolt for my M41. </div></div>

If your M38 bolt is one of the bent ones, it would have cleared the scope easily, if it's a standard M41b setup.
The regular bolt for an M41b is a simple heat and bend, no sharp edges or forgings.
The same holds true for the M42-M44 Sniper rifles.

Mike, the M38 bolt gave plenty of clearance. The issue was it would hit the stock before fully closing. I did not want to inlet my stock so I ground the relief in the M38 bolt. I was able to get close up pictures of a bolt at Camp Perry. I plan to bend a 96 bolt for my rifle. Have you used an M41b in the Vintage Sniper Match? I was wondering how many inches above a 100 yard point of aim the bullet will strike with a 300 yard zero. Also how many inches high with a 600 yard zero. I am going to shoot my 1903 with the 600 yard zero I got on 8-1-12 at Camp Perry to determine How high it is above a 100 yard point of aim. This information could be a lot of help for those wishing to shoot a vintage match. A lot of shooters do not have easy access to 300 or 600 yard ranges. I built a 1000 yard M1A right after the National Matches some years ago. Knowing the minutes from 100 to 1000, I was able to test rifle on a plumb line to establish my 1000 yard zero. We went to the Arizona Long Range State Championship in September. I got chewed out by the team NCOIC for taking a new rifle to a major competition. He set up a team scope to help me get on paper. My first sighter at a 1000 was a pin wheel X. Camp Perry was my first Vintage Match. As I learn more, I hope to be able to put out info that will make it easier for others to get started.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you used an M41b in the Vintage Sniper Match? I was wondering how many inches above a 100 yard point of aim the bullet will strike with a 300 yard zero. </div></div>

I've got two of them, plus a 1903A4(forgery, creedmore w/criterion barrel). I have yet to make it to Camp Perry, unfortunately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPT-DAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see AZ for your location, long way to go for 20 shots. Have you shot any matches with the M41b?</div></div>

Yes it is, and no.
I had to remove the AJACK scope from it and replace with a Weaver K4. The AJACK is just too delicate, IMO. I retired it to the AJACK scope case.
My other Swede already has an M4-60B on it

What do you mean when you say the AJACK is to delicate? Is it the movement of the elevation dial? I do want to try a K98 with an 8X scope to compare to the 1903. Dan

Well, my AJACK is already iffy in the elevation dept. and there's no one around that fixes them. I'm sure it was a great scope in its day, but now....??
The Weavers have always been heavy duty, and with reducing bushings from Accumount to 1", they fit in the stock SSR just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPT-DAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean when you say the AJACK is to delicate? Is it the movement of the elevation dial? I do want to try a K98 with an 8X scope to compare to the 1903. Dan </div></div>

Dan, I have two x pre-WW2 Zeiss ZF39 in regular use on my K98k's - never seen any sign of them being "over sensitive" or delicate. One of these is the "standard" Zielvier, the other is the Zielsechs.

I too would be interested to know if the Ajack differs in any way to the design of these that makes them more prone to internal problems.

Mike Hull - depending on what you are looking for as a fix/service and how much you want to spend - I know both Miltech in the US and Robert Spielauer in Austria can fix up some makes of these old German scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPT-DAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean when you say the AJACK is to delicate? Is it the movement of the elevation dial? I do want to try a K98 with an 8X scope to compare to the 1903. Dan </div></div>

Dan, I have two x pre-WW2 Zeiss ZF39 in regular use on my K98k's - never seen any sign of them being "over sensitive" or delicate. One of these is the "standard" Zielvier, the other is the Zielsechs.

I too would be interested to know if the Ajack differs in any way to the design of these that makes them more prone to internal problems.

Mike Hull - depending on what you are looking for as a fix/service and how much you want to spend - I know both Miltech in the US and Robert Spielauer in Austria can fix up some makes of these old German scopes.
</div></div>

What I said was, MY AJACK scope was iffy in the elevation dept(it had none).
I received it that way from SAMCO, but when I received it I was pretty ill and unable to walk, or use my right arm.
It took time to retrain myself in the use of my right arm and leg. By time I had done that and got around to that M41b rifle and found that it had no elevation adjustment, some years had passed so I just went with the Weaver.
Thinking on it again, I like the Weaver better than the original especially when it comes to windage adjustments. The AJACK is a real pain to adjust for that.
I have nothing against the AJACK, and know some people have used them in competition, I just choose not to.
As far as getting them fixed...that is another problem entirely. For now, I'll just leave it in it's carrying case.

Dan, yes, the Weaver will reach 600Y/M.

Mike, my misuderstanding...I thought when you said it was delicate you were referring to the design, not the condition of your specific one.

As for my Zeiss...not the easiest either....constantly rotating (no clicks) elevation (azimuth) adjustment makes precise adjustment hard (even with calibrations or notches scratched in the ring). As for windage...there isn't any. That is entirley dependent on which mount/rings you use. On my SSR - two screwdrivers in opposition to set zero...then hold off!

BB, no problem.
As far as windage adjustement goes, I understand what you're saying
wink.gif

If anyone's interested/in the market......there is a Swede M41B Ajack and mount on Egay right now

Search on "Swedish-Mauser-WW2-M41b-Ajack-4x90-Sniper-Scope-rings-mount-base-covers-Military"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If anyone's interested/in the market......there is a Swede M41B Ajack and mount on Egay right now

Search on "Swedish-Mauser-WW2-M41b-Ajack-4x90-Sniper-Scope-rings-mount-base-covers-Military" </div></div>

Spotted that.
Not too bad a price but they are only selling to a US bidder...