• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sweet spot contour for weight/ performance

zeroz

3m ta3
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
South central, co
Wondering what the lightest contour you would go with that can handle a decent rate of fire. The wife is getting more into long range and is signed up fora couple classes this summer (its good to hear someone else tell her what I do). She has been shooting her hunting gun but it has a skinny barrel and heats up pretty quick. Thinking its not what she wants to take to her 5 day class. She's not a pussy but is pretty small and I hate to see her bogged down, especially with positional stuff, which is in the curriculum. Im thinking #3 or #4 sporter and 20-22" would be a good place to land. Probably stick with .260 rem, same as her hunting gun. Thoughts?

I got my wife a 6.5 heavy MTU 26in on a foundation stock with a insite heathen 4 ports brake and a Razor Gen II and it has the recoil of a 223 and she absolutely loves it. But isn’t carrying it in the field.

Now that’s obviously way over kill for a hybrid hunting/match rifle but I feel like medium Palma is a great balance overall especially in a 20in. I like the med Palma that Ted uses on his ARC rifle. It sustains strings of fire and doesn’t have the truck axle feeling and with a lightish stock it still balances well on tripod/barricade.

Just get a good brake like the insite or the area419 and have her double up ear pro to reduce flinch.

260 is a great, I certainly wouldn’t change that.

Reactions: Hkmiller
Med Palma is a good weight for keeping weight down and being able to have a good rate of fire. I have had a few on my match rifles and they performed well.

I put a heavy palma on my wife's rifle. She only shoots prone, but she wishes it was a little bit lighter (or at least she thinks so, she also wants it to recoil less :cautious:).

I would look at something like Hawkhills Marksman profile, which is a bit heavier than a medium palma.

Reactions: Steel head
I suppose a light Palma with flutes would keep the weight down and handle heat better than a #4 sporter. Cut it to 20" and that might be the ticket. I left out that I'll be rebarreling her hunting gun with this so she'll have hunt with it too. We logged over 40 miles in steep country this year for her elk. I don't want to end up carrying the fucker along with her other shit. I also left out she'll run an ultra 7 on it for the classes and in general.

Reactions: Pootyng
Light palma is similar to the Tikka CTR contour and I never had problems with heat using my Tikka. A fluted light palma is what I am planning to use for a hunting build. Not too heavy to carry around but a little more weight than a sporter to steady a shot a bit easier.

A medium palma is still a bit heavy for a general use rifle. I have had several of these and would either go heavier for a range gun or lighter for a hunting gun.

Reactions: YotaEer
Check out the area 419 hellfire system. Makes switching from a really efficient brake to a suppressor pretty easy. Their brakes are phenomenal. Maybe she’ll want to run the ultra 7 in class but I have noticed a pretty significant difference between a good brake and suppressor in recoil impulse, especially in a lighter gun off tripod/barricade. She’ll have a much easier time in class spotting her own hits, misses and trace with something like the A419 hellfire match. Light or medium Palma would probably work, Sendero profile in a Proof Carbon Fiber might be even better if you’re elk hunting with it.

Check out the area 419 hellfire system. Makes switching from a really efficient brake to a suppressor pretty easy. Their brakes are phenomenal. Maybe she’ll want to run the ultra 7 in class but I have noticed a pretty significant difference between a good brake and suppressor in recoil impulse, especially in a lighter gun off tripod/barricade. She’ll have a much easier time in class spotting her own hits, misses and trace with something like the A419 hellfire match. Light or medium Palma would probably work, Sendero profile in a Proof Carbon Fiber might be even better if you’re elk hunting with it.

If she's sensitive to concussion, than it may be more forgiving for her to run a suppressor.

Reactions: spife7980
If she's sensitive to concussion, than it may be more forgiving for her to run a suppressor.
True, concussion can cause a flinch, just like recoil.

I was recently surprised going back to a suppressor on a sub 12 lb 6.5 CM how spoiled I have become with a brake and a 6mm. You have to work fundamentals a lot more, especially off barricades, etc to spot for yourself.

300 blk not a lot to carry around there probably pretty easy for her to shoot as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: b6graham
6BFB8D68-266E-4093-9013-3BFAB0CE02FD.gif

You want bigger diameter to support rate of fire and light enough weight for hunting.
Wanted the same thing myself. Came up with two options. I went one way and my brother went the other.
I did the Mac Bros Ti action with proof Carbon Sendero profile.

7B7D99F4-2007-4278-83E4-A4485461E39D.jpeg

Brother went with the Mac Bro SS and a Heavy Palma with LRIs X-pattern fluting
light,strong, and bad ass

7A6013E3-0E5D-4990-AB4A-1B7490480A0B.jpeg

3E594092-DB37-4D60-B16A-2E260D549A60.jpeg

My action is less, his barrel weighs less, so theyre pretty close. I’m going
lighter on my stock so mine should end up 8-12 oz less than his.

You want bigger diameter to support rate of fire and light enough weight for hunting.
Wanted the same thing myself. Came up with two options. I went one way and my brother went the other.
I did the Mac Bros Ti action with proof Carbon Sendero profile.

View attachment 7818056

Brother went with the Mac Bro SS and a Heavy Palma with LRIs X-pattern fluting
light,strong, and bad ass

View attachment 7818057

View attachment 7818058
Two great looking buildings right there. Two quick questions what model manners is that on yours and what’s the barrel length on both. Thanks.

i prefer heavy palma if i had to pick from the palma contours. but in 24-28". there isnt much weight that far out on the muzzle

my GF shoots a 20" heavy varmint RimX and 26" Proof comp contour in 223/6Dasher with a McMillan Z10. around 15-16 pounds total. very manageable for her

getting a 260 with an 8 twist and shooting 140 class bullets will help a lot further out versus what she's likely shooting from the hunting rifle

A light varmint contour is typically a good compromise, enough meat to thread 5/8x24 (just) without being too heavy.
Most high quality barrels can handle the heat without shifting your POI too much, if at all.