• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 1-4x24 am I missing something?

al22300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2010
Oklahoma
[img:left][/img] [img:right][/img]

Image on left is on 1 power and image on right is on 4 power. Am I missing part of the reticle or did SWFA change the design?

Re: SWFA 1-4x24 am I missing something?

That is what happens with a first focal plane scope. The reticle enlarges with the magnification. I don't see anything wrong with those pictures.

It is a front focal plane scope. The reticle gets magnified the same way whatever you are looking at gets magnified. IF you look closely at the pic on the right it is the donut portion of what you see in the pic on the left.....just magnified 4x. Read up a little on FFP vs. SFP scopes and you'll see what I;m talking about.

Alternately, they do make that particular scope with another reticle pattern, is that what you are talking about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is a front focal plane scope. The reticle gets magnified the same way whatever you are looking at gets magnified. IF you look closely at the pic on the right it is the donut portion of what you see in the pic on the left.....just magnified 4x. Read up a little on FFP vs. SFP scopes and you'll see what I;m talking about.

Alternately, they do make that particular scope with another reticle pattern, is that what you are talking about?

</div></div>
I looked at both reticle designs to decide which one I wanted. Of course I know what front focal means. It took me a while to figure out that something is missing too...... look again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see what you don't see.....hmmm.....when did you get the scope? </div></div>
Today

It does look a little different than the pics on their website the lines go all the way up to the center circle.

SWFA will have to answer, but it looks like they revised the reticle. I actually like this much better than what the are displaying on their site. Much cleaner at all magnification levels, and on 4x I like only seeing the circle and is interior cross hair. I thought the intermediate step down of the original design was a little busy. Glad you posted this pic, I've been thinking about picking one of these up. What's the eye relief like?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It does look a little different than the pics on their website the lines go all the way up to the center circle. </div></div>
Yes, thats right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al22300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> [img:left][/img] [img:right][/img]

Image on left is on one power and image on right is on 4 power. Am I missing part of the reticle or did SWFA change the design? </div></div>

Yes they did change it, That is different than mine, The Inner "T" is missing between the circle and the outer "T". Must of thought it added too much clutter.

I think the OP is aware the scope is FFP he is asking about the reticle being different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check this out:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1402993

</div></div>
You have got to be kidding me
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim-VT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA will have to answer, but it looks like they revised the reticle. I actually like this much better than what the are displaying on their site. Much cleaner at all magnification levels, and on 4x I like only seeing the circle and is interior cross hair. I thought the intermediate step down of the original design was a little busy. Glad you posted this pic, I've been thinking about picking one of these up. What's the eye relief like? </div></div>
The eye relief is pretty good, overall it is an awesome scope. I am trying to decide if I like this design better or not. It is definitely less cluttered.

Just a slight tweak to that reticle. They figured the smaller posts really weren't needed with the heavy circle as the circle itself performs the same function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a slight tweak to that reticle. They figured the smaller posts really weren't needed with the heavy circle as the circle itself performs the same function. </div></div>
Thanks for the info! Now that I've been playing with it some more I decided that I like this reticle design better than the first one. They still have the old one pictured on the box.

I think that this scope is hard to beat no matter how much a guy wants to spend.

I actually like that reticle better than the old one. Definitely makes for a less cluttered design.

al22300, Sorry bro was trying to insult your intelligence. I didn't pick up on the slight change in the reticle and some pretty interesting questions get asked here from time to time.

They recently revised the SS 3-9X42 design as well. It is now more like the reticle on the new SS 5-20 HD

I have the 1-4 with the new reticle. Its a great reticle. It allows user to put power on 1X and it looks like and uses like an Eotech for CQB. Turn the power to 4x and you can no shoot at distance with hold over clicks.

This is the first FFP scope in 1-4 I like

Yes, as mentioned we did change the reticle. It worked its way into production quicker than planned and there are some that had to be shipped in the old boxes with the original reticle pictured on the end.

Our site should be updated this week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">al22300, Sorry bro was trying to insult your intelligence. I didn't pick up on the slight change in the reticle and some pretty interesting questions get asked here from time to time. </div></div>
No problem at all. I should have phrased the question differently.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They recently revised the SS 3-9X42 design as well. It is now more like the reticle on the new SS 5-20 HD </div></div>
I bought one of the these a week ago, it is a nice scope. I need to stop looking at the SWFA SS line of scopes since I am on my third one this month. It all started with the 5-20x50.

If they introduce a nice mid range variable with the features of the 5-20x50 I will have to buy 2 maybe three more. I heard some rumors.........

I just picked up one of these scopes as well. The reticle is the same as the OP's.

I'm pretty damn happy with it though. I sold an Eotech 553 to go with this sucker. I shot my first match this past weekend with it, ended up scoring 2nd in my division(2nd to the Match Director...) and 4th overall!

Its not quite as quick to acquire targets as the Eotech, but its damn close and makes the longer range (100yrds+)a LOT quicker!