• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 10x HD or vortex PST 4-16?

SpookyPistolero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
I have not been overly impressed with my vortex. I I can't seem to find a setup that has really good clarity, and it just seems fatiguing to stay behind for very long. My baseline is low so this may be shooter error.

My swfa 10x is surprisingly good for the money though, and seems more clear to me. It also is easier to get behind.

I'm just a paper puncher, not a hunter. My current access is 100-300 yards.

Is it crazy to think about ditching ditching the pst for the swfa 10x HD? I have not looked through one of these but they seem highly regarded.

Thoughts?

Ever since I got my 12x my viper pst doesn't look as clear. I'm beginning to wonder if I got a bad one or it's just vortex

I've briefly owned two of the 4-16x50 PST scopes (one each FFP and SFP) and both of them were rather murky from 13x to 16x, regardless of focus and ocular adjustments.

I have a SS 10x42HD and it has excellent clarity. I also really like the turrets. For use out to 300 yards, and no need to use it closer than 50 or so, I see no reason not to replace your PST with the 10x HD model.

My 2 cents.

I had a Viper PST 4-16 FFP and it also murkey or hazy. For the price the optics were really disappointing. After some reading lots of user reported the same about the scope.

I ended up swapping it out for a PST 6-24x FFP and the difference is night and day. I also have a 1-4x PST from Vortex and it’s great. The 4-16x models is the black sheep of the PST line, optically its nothing like the rest of the PST line.

I also have a SWFA 10x non HD, excellent optic… I don’t think you are crazy for wanting to ditch it for the 10x SWFA.

I think Vortex fixed the issue on the 4-16x PST's. The newer ones with the aluminum mag ring seem to have better glass.

That's good to know if that's true... all 3 of those PST scopes I own/owned were the older style with the rubber mag ring.

Ill have to get my hands on another 4-16x and check it out.

FWIW, mine has the newest ring. I'm no expert though, so take my interpretation of color /clarity with a grain of salt.

I always take everything with a grain of salt since you usually hear things both ways. Two local Vortex dealers told me that the 4-16s were consistently more clear than the 6-24s. They both told me they swapped their personal scopes for the lower power because the glass was so much nicer... I have a 4-16x44 HS LR that is surprisingly clear though not perfect.

I should have a 10x HD by the week after next. I'll try to snap some pics through the reticle on the regular 10x, 10x HD, and the Vortex. My Viper skins, borka, and lop extension kit should be hear a few days prior to that. Then, massive range day, haha.

For strictly paper punching out to a max range of 300 yds ...

Consider a higher magnification scope. 10x magnification is limiting (for me and with my old eyeballs) for shooting tiny groups on paper as compared to say a 5-20x or 8-24x for example.

Also the ability to see shots on paper from behind the rifle without needing a spotting scope and/or having to walk out to check targets is a very nice feature.

EDIT --- never mind, just saw you ordered the HD. Looking forward to your reviews and pictures.

Last edited: