• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA 12X vs SWFA 3-15X

i actually have both and really as far as glass they seem the same...have used both out to 1000 with no problems on my .308...eye box i havent really paid attention to which i guess would be a good thing because both worked fine and didnt catch my attention...the price jump as far as i can tell is for the variable power and side parallax (my 12x has the parallax on the eye piece ring)...the upgraded glass really shows in the 5-20X HD model...have one of those also and it is awesome especially for the price

I run their fixed 10x non HD, and I like it better than the 3-15x. I find the glass to be a little better and brighter but its not going to make or break either optic. I never used the fixed 12x.

I agree with the above poster, the 5-20x HD is fantastic. If you can hold out for one of those, catch a sale of buy one used, you wont be disappointed.

My friend runs the fixed 10X HD model and that's also another gem from SWFA. For your money, that's what I would be looking at...

i actually have both and really as far as glass they seem the same...have used both out to 1000 with no problems on my .308...eye box i havent really paid attention to which i guess would be a good thing because both worked fine and didnt catch my attention...the price jump as far as i can tell is for the variable power and side parallax (my 12x has the parallax on the eye piece ring)...the upgraded glass really shows in the 5-20X HD model...have one of those also and it is awesome especially for the price

I actually plan to get an SWFA 5-20 for a different rifle. I'm debating swapping the current 12X for the 3-15X on my 20" Grendel upper. However it's used only for target shooting so if the glass quality is similar the only advantages I see with the 3-15X would be the additional 3X maginification and the ability to zoom in/out to help deal with mirage.

I actually plan to get an SWFA 5-20 for a different rifle. I'm debating swapping the current 12X for the 3-15X on my 20" Grendel upper. However it's used only for target shooting so if the glass quality is similar the only advantages I see with the 3-15X would be the additional 3X maginification and the ability to zoom in/out to help deal with mirage.

I wouldn't think it's worth it for just target shootin...I used mine mainly on my hunting rifle...the variable mag made target aquisition fast and easy and parallax adjustment down to 6m made it easy to focus inside 50 yds

I don't know how the 12x compares to the 3-15x42, but I have the SS 10x42 (non HD) and the SS 3-9x42 FFP, and actually my 3-9x42 seems clearer than the fixed ss 10x. YMMV.

Note that I do have the side focus 10x, and I actually prefer the SS 3-9x42 on my AR because there isn't a focus adjust... IF its on 3x I can focus on a target 6m away or 300m away, without touching a knob. I think the 3-15 would be better suited on your grendel. But it depends on what you intend on doing with your rifle. Lower power makes shorter shorts a lot easier. So if you run the the woods with that 20" 6.5 grendel, then put the 3-15 on it. If you have something else you feel more comfortable taking through the woods, put that 3-15 on it. My 18" .223 AR has the 3-9 on it, good out to 600m on man-sized targets all day. My 20" SPS Tactical .308 has a fixed 10x on it. I intend on using it for matches, not hunting. So straight 10x works fine. I'd feel a lot more comfortable taking a shot standing at 50m with my 3x AR over my 10x 308 bolt gun.

Last edited:
I don't know how the 12x compares to the 3-15x42, but I have the SS 10x42 (non HD) and the SS 3-9x42 FFP, and actually my 3-9x42 seems clearer than the fixed ss 10x. YMMV.

I'm not surprised by your experience... I haven't personally used the SS 3-9x scope, but others I know who have also report the same thing and talk highly about the 3-9x model. From what I understand the SS 3-9x is based on their HD line, not the standard non HD scopes.

Nice! I got that one from samplelist for $499 in "Demo-A" Condition. Any sources that talk about this?

That is a 4 year old review. The reticles have changed and I am sure they have Parallax adjustments now.

That is a 4 year old review. The reticles have changed and I am sure they have Parallax adjustments now.

The older scopes looked to have a traditional mil-dot, but the new reticles, common across almost all of the mil/mil SWFA line is using their mil-quad.

The core scope looks to be identical, and still based on the HD line of optic made in Japan. The most current version of the 3-9x does not have parallax adjustment.

Either way, the current production 3-9x is still seems to be a winner... too bad they never did make that 2.5-x10x with side parallax, would have been fantastic competition for Nightforce and Vortex PST 2.5-10x options.

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Wow..I thought they had a Parallax adjustment. I missed that some how. Others in the lineup do have them

Onewolf42, I am planning on buying a swfa in a 12 or maybe a 10. I'm wondering at how close of a range can the 12 be used and not be blurry. Also what type of gun do you have it on. Also if you don't mind, I'm wondering what type of yardage and shooting you been doing w/ it, and are you leaning towards the 3x15 because theres to many times 12 is to much or because you want the full x15 ?

Onewolf42, I am planning on buying a swfa in a 12 or maybe a 10. I'm wondering at how close of a range can the 12 be used and not be blurry. Also what type of gun do you have it on. Also if you don't mind, I'm wondering what type of yardage and shooting you been doing w/ it, and are you leaning towards the 3x15 because theres to many times 12 is to much or because you want the full x15 ?

All the specs are on the SWFA website... Both the fixed 10x and 12x have parallax adjustment... both are adjustable from 10 meters to infinity. The 3-15x lowest is at 6 meters.

My personal opinion... if you can afford the 3-15x, and don't mind owning a fixed power scope... I would strongly consider the fixed 10x HD model. The glass, construction, and turrets on that scope is so good I would get over the 3-15x real fast. Optically you wouldn't be missing that 12x either.

I have two SWFA 12X scopes. One is on a 260 Rem bolt action that I have shot out to 1200 yards and the other is on a 6.5 Grendel (Precision Firearms) upper that I have shot out to 1000 yds. I shoot only steel targets on the long range. I have been able to fairly consistently hit the 6" gong at 1000 yards with the 260 Rem (wind permitting). I plan to replace the 12X on the 260 Rem with an SWFA 5-20 to get the better glass and higher magnification and at this point I plan to stick with the fixed 12X on the Grendel. As MaxLoad mentioned the 12X will focus as close as 10M.

All the specs are on the SWFA website... Both the fixed 10x and 12x have parallax adjustment... both are adjustable from 10 meters to infinity. The 3-15x lowest is at 6 meters.

My personal opinion... if you can afford the 3-15x, and don't mind owning a fixed power scope... I would strongly consider the fixed 10x HD model. The glass, construction, and turrets on that scope is so good I would get over the 3-15x real fast. Optically you wouldn't be missing that 12x either.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X and I find the 12X to be advantageous at 1000/1200 yards when shooting smaller (< 1 MOA) targets.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 10X and I find the 12X to be advantageous at 1000/1200 yards when shooting smaller (< 1 MOA) targets.

Fair enough, target size makes a huge difference. Most of my steel is generally 1 MOA or larger at those distances which is probably why i'm just fine with 10x.

You will love the 5-20... that's going to be a nice upgrade for the 260.